Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 05:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When it comes to the weather, the only thing I had to get used to in DC is sustained warmer weather not arriving in early spring like I'm used to. It can vary by year (some years you have to break out the fall gear on Memorial Day) and it's been decent so far although it sucks a pandemic broke out that necessitated lockdown orders shortly after I returned here in mid-February (but I'm grateful I got hired before all this happened). But winter isn't too much colder than what I'm used to and whenever it theeatens to snow, DC becomes a full-on Southern city by shutting all the way down which makes me feel right at home LOL.

Now the cost of living, particularly housing, is more of a challenge but if you don't have to live in the newest and shiniest apartment building in the most poppin' neighborhood, then you definitely have options--especially if you're Black and have no problem living around other Black people/Hispanics in a decent middle class neighborhood. You already know that your biggest issue will probably be a lack of certain amenities in your immediate neighborhood but you can find rents that fit your budget and maybe even with relatively easy transit access in a safe neighborhood.

I definitely enjoyed my time living in the Atlanta area, having moved there to begin my federal career with a public health regulatory agency which took me all across north Georgia (I never actually worked in Atlanta). When I decided to get my MPH so I could be eligible for a greater variety of jobs in the field, I knew I'd eventually have to leave, either for a promotion or a new job altogether, and that there was a good chance that I could wind up in DC at some point--which is exactly what happened. But then life took me back home to SC temporarily and my (quite frustrating) job search process back home pretty much solidified DC as the place where I need to be. I actually preferred to go back to Charlotte with Atlanta as my second choice and had two short-lived gigs in Charleston and a Charlotte exurb and got pretty far in the interview process for a job with Emory but wasn't offered the position. Without getting into too much detail, I'll say that after my experiences with the two (unexpected) short-lived jobs, I knew I had to come back up this way and the way was made for it to happen. Unless it's a federal position with upward mobility, I can't do Southern right-to-work states anymore, especially in non-diverse/non-urban work environments. DC gives me the three features I have come to view as necessities in my career field (unionized positions, urban environment, diversity), plus an abundance of job opportunities in and out of the federal government. And yes, there are enough Southern undertones here that don't make city life overwhelming for this Southerner at least, and I feel like I already have something of a connection with the native Black population being that a large share of them have roots in the Carolinas. The progressive vibe, abundance of things to do including all the free museums and the free zoo, the walkability of the city, and its location in the Bos-Wash corridor with easy options for day trips and weekend getways just rounds everything out for me. I'll always have nothing but love for the Carolinas and Georgia for so many reasons, but I plan to become proficient at my job, make some lateral and upward moves professionally, and settle in DC for the long haul.
Very interesting. I enjoyed the read. I wish you continued success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I didn't initially plan to type all that lol... but I'm glad you enjoyed and I appreciate the well wishes.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
When it comes to the weather, the only thing I had to get used to in DC is sustained warmer weather not arriving in early spring like I'm used to. It can vary by year (some years you have to break out the fall gear on Memorial Day) and it's been decent so far although it sucks a pandemic broke out that necessitated lockdown orders shortly after I returned here in mid-February (but I'm grateful I got hired before all this happened). But winter isn't too much colder than what I'm used to and whenever it theeatens to snow, DC becomes a full-on Southern city by shutting all the way down which makes me feel right at home LOL.

Now the cost of living, particularly housing, is more of a challenge but if you don't have to live in the newest and shiniest apartment building in the most poppin' neighborhood, then you definitely have options--especially if you're Black and have no problem living around other Black people/Hispanics in a decent middle class neighborhood. You already know that your biggest issue will probably be a lack of certain amenities in your immediate neighborhood but you can find rents that fit your budget and maybe even with relatively easy transit access in a safe neighborhood.

I definitely enjoyed my time living in the Atlanta area, having moved there to begin my federal career with a public health regulatory agency which took me all across north Georgia (I never actually worked in Atlanta). When I decided to get my MPH so I could be eligible for a greater variety of jobs in the field, I knew I'd eventually have to leave, either for a promotion or a new job altogether, and that there was a good chance that I could wind up in DC at some point--which is exactly what happened. But then life took me back home to SC temporarily and my (quite frustrating) job search process back home pretty much solidified DC as the place where I need to be. I actually preferred to go back to Charlotte with Atlanta as my second choice and had two short-lived gigs in Charleston and a Charlotte exurb and got pretty far in the interview process for a job with Emory but wasn't offered the position. Without getting into too much detail, I'll say that after my experiences with the two (unexpected) short-lived jobs, I knew I had to come back up this way and the way was made for it to happen. Unless it's a federal position with upward mobility, I can't do Southern right-to-work states anymore, especially in non-diverse/non-urban work environments. DC gives me the three features I have come to view as necessities in my career field (unionized positions, urban environment, diversity), plus an abundance of job opportunities in and out of the federal government. And yes, there are enough Southern undertones here that don't make city life overwhelming for this Southerner at least, and I feel like I already have something of a connection with the native Black population being that a large share of them have roots in the Carolinas. The progressive vibe, abundance of things to do including all the free museums and the free zoo, the walkability of the city, and its location in the Bos-Wash corridor with easy options for day trips and weekend getways just rounds everything out for me. I'll always have nothing but love for the Carolinas and Georgia for so many reasons, but I plan to become proficient at my job, make some lateral and upward moves professionally, and settle in DC for the long haul.
Wow, sounds familiar. I'll always love ATL but I've been away and back many times from the hometown things change sometimes. Chicago is another city that I can see myself in but the DMV is a top market in my field (I'll still keep business connections in ATL with frequent visit but the Mid-Atlantic is a good compromise).

Old 05-05-2020, 09:08 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I second that

Old 05-06-2020, 01:41 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:

Wow Mute!! That is exciting! Congratulations! Your little autobiography leaves me a gold nugget of inspiration!

Old 05-06-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Wow Mute!! That is exciting! Congratulations! Your little autobiography leaves me a gold nugget of inspiration!
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Old 05-06-2020, 08:53 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:

Great post, Mutiny! I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

A lot of the sentiments you expressed about coming to DC for your career are similar to my reasons coming here. I lived in Atlanta for almost a decade and I was greatly affected by the Great Recession despite being in a field that's perceived to be more "stable" (I worked in Marketing/PR for a college), but still wound up getting laid off and having to rely on freelancing to pay my bills. The super competitive job market and the right to work environment in Georgia were not beneficial for me. I've had my share of struggles here in the DMV, don't get me wrong, but it's been exponentially better for me and my career (also being older and more mature certainly helps). Ultimately, my plan is to get into the federal government or make more upward moves as a contractor (I write proposals for government and commercial clients). Also, the not so northern/not too southern vibe here fits me pretty well. I grew up on the West Coast as a kid and lived in the South for about 19 years (Mississippi/Florida/Georgia) and never quite fit in TBH...I moved to Los Angeles for awhile before I came to the DMV (and felt out of place there a little, but due to my upbringing, it wasn't that much of an adjustment), but felt at peace and ease here. It also helps that I have a lot of family in Maryland and NOVA, so I was already somewhat familiar with the DMV.

But I digress...here's to progress and moving forward!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
So given these sentiments, the fact that the area attracts a lot of transplants from across the country(especially the Northeast and South), its relatively high black median household income, its concentration of black middle class suburbia and even some pockets in the city, its institutions(educational and otherwise) and other factors, wouldn't it make sense for viewing DC more favorably in regards to this topic than it seems to get credit for?

Old 05-06-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Great post, Mutiny! I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

A lot of the sentiments you expressed about coming to DC for your career are similar to my reasons coming here. I lived in Atlanta for almost a decade and I was greatly affected by the Great Recession despite being in a field that's perceived to be more "stable" (I worked in Marketing/PR for a college), but still wound up getting laid off and having to rely on freelancing to pay my bills. The super competitive job market and the right to work environment in Georgia were not beneficial for me. I've had my share of struggles here in the DMV, don't get me wrong, but it's been exponentially better for me and my career (also being older and more mature certainly helps). Ultimately, my plan is to get into the federal government or make more upward moves as a contractor (I write proposals for government and commercial clients). Also, the not so northern/not too southern vibe here fits me pretty well. I grew up on the West Coast as a kid and lived in the South for about 19 years (Mississippi/Florida/Georgia) and never quite fit in TBH...I moved to Los Angeles for awhile before I came to the DMV (and felt out of place there a little, but due to my upbringing, it wasn't that much of an adjustment), but felt at peace and ease here. It also helps that I have a lot of family in Maryland and NOVA, so I was already somewhat familiar with the DMV.

But I digress...here's to progress and moving forward!
I appreciate that! I didn't intend to get into that much detail but I figured a personal touch would've been insightful. Interestingly, during the time I was interviewing for the position I currently have, similar positions were available in Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Dallas. Had I not seen the vacancy here in DC, I definitely would've applied for positions in those cities. I'm working at headquarters for my current agency but we are organized into regions throughout the states and there are opportunities available there as well. You never know what the future holds but as I stated, my plan is to root myself in the DC area.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So given these sentiments, the fact that the area attracts a lot of transplants from across the country(especially the Northeast and South), its relatively high black median household income, its concentration of black middle class suburbia and even some pockets in the city, its institutions(educational and otherwise) and other factors, wouldn't it make sense for viewing DC more favorably in regards to this topic than it seems to get credit for?
I think it does, but I suspect that Atlanta gets the attention that it does because of the diversity of opportunity there and the lower (although increasing) COL results in a lower entrance fee, both of which makes it accessible to more people. I know a few individuals without a college degree who have gotten their start in Atlanta and are now solidified in their careers and doing pretty well for themselves. Some are still in Atlanta and some have moved on to other cities. Conversely, I don't know anyone who has moved to DC without at least a bachelor's degree and in most cases, they usually have a master's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City