Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 07:34 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Have you ever seen a black Floridian? Spot them a mile away
Just broward county. That’s so identifiable with the wicks-But black Florida does have a vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 09:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I do (althoigh not quite as often as I used to), and my church in Atlanta was in Oakland City and not at all like dReam Center. Nor were any of the other church I visited there on occasion. The church I frequent in DC is in NE.

You're just outright lying now. I said twice that what occurred at Murphy's church wasn't my cup of tea but unlike you, I have no need to feign righteous indignation since your point of contention isn't that this happened in any church, but a church in suburban Atlanta. Had it happened anywhere else, it probably wouldn't have even caught your attention, so spare me. I don't even recall you participating in discussion the couple of times that church or religious issues came up in threads like these. When it came to culture and music discussions, your contributions were all street/hood/hip hop-related--and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that; but I never saw much of a religious influence that colored your contributions so forgive me if I'm not sold on your newfound piety as though you recently had a near-death experience or something.

And you don't even know what it means to be from "X by way of Y" which is hilarious. Once again, you're wrong wrong wrong. Now watch how you try and flip this by asking "But you said you are originally from SC and used to live in Atlanta" because you have no clue that "being from SC by way of Atlanta" means something in particular that I never claimed.

Really? How was exactly does that scene constitute "turning the Father's house into a den of thieves"? For the nth time, I don't justify it but it had nothing to do with financially exploiting the faithful poor. It kinda helps to know the Bible if you're going to reference it.

Here you go yet AGAIN, changing up the goalposts. You claimed Atlanta was the working-class capital; you said nothing about it being the "ghetto" capital (although you clearly believe it is) and I questioned the relevance of the video in relation to that particular claim. The only correlation one could reasonably make given that video is a generational one, not a socioeconomic one. Murphy's church has a huge Millenial/Gen Z/young Gen X membership and he's a recording artist.

Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit, is it?

Even if all 8,000 new residents were from Atlanta, bringing their sacrilegious ghetto culture with them?

You are really trying to paint this narrative aren't you? Since I hate Atlanta so much, why did I say this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I will also point out that the reason DC, Atlanta, and NYC stand head and shoulders above the rest of America is that you can go out to “multiple spots” in those cities with an all Black professional educated crowd. That’s not really the case anywhere else. A lot of these other cities don’t have the Black educated population to support that type of scene.

The nightlife is going to be hood in almost all these cities other than DC and NYC. Atlanta has professional nightlife too, but it can be really hood too.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

You are really trying to paint this narrative aren't you? Since I hate Atlanta so much, why did I say this?
Because you're clearly irrational.

It's no different from the "I'm not racist, I have a Black friend" trope.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:07 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:

It's the newest way to distract from the fact that Florida, no matter where you are, is in fact in the South. They're talking about people who are unapologetically Southern.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:08 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:

Or, at least on this thread, "I'm not [internalized] racist, I'm Black."

Old 01-10-2024, 11:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's the newest way to distract from the fact that Florida, no matter where you are, is in fact in the South. They're talking about people who are unapologetically Southern.
You're referring to a different conversation. But as far as Black Floridans go, I do tend to think of them as somewhat distinctive but quite Southern, (e.g. DU-VALLLL!!!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Or, at least on this thread, "I'm not [internalized] racist, I'm Black."
Lol right.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:

Just so I understand this, you’re saying Atlanta can’t have a reputation for being both ghetto and professional at the same time?

Old 01-16-2024, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 44,463 times
This should really be done by region, "Black capital of the west", "black capital of the south", "black capital of the midwest" etc. Would be interesting to see it broken down further

Old 01-16-2024, 01:42 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post
This should really be done by region, "Black capital of the west", "black capital of the south", "black capital of the midwest" etc. Would be interesting to see it broken down further
In that case:

Oakland
Atlanta
Chicago

Detroit and D.C. are probably saying "What about us?" NYC for the northeast. Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia??? It is tough for me by region because culturally some cities are more influtential while economically...not so much.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:08 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Two things can be true at once

Atlanta is the cultural and entrepreneurial center for black people. Atlanta also has a pronounced "hood bougie" culture, which attracts scammers and other similar types of folks. Yes, scammers exist in every major city, however, Atlanta and Detroit are the only cities that promote it to the level they do.
I don't recall Atlanta tourism board or the local government openly promoting scamming culture.

What you just described is pretty much every class within general Black culture. It feels more pronounced in Atlanta because Atlanta is the most popular city in Black America and is overly represented in Black American culture. Hence making it the Capital of Black America. Atlanta attracts any and every Black person in this country and abroad.

Quote:
Take that up with Black America. They are the ones who have been going off on Atlanta. It wasn’t surprising to most people though. It’s pretty normal to expect that type of behavior. I was only pointing out that behavior like that is what people are referencing all over America when they refer to Atlanta in that way.

To your point, Atlanta should just embrace that reputation. It’s party city and that can be said about everywhere in Atlanta including church. Just because DC would look down on something like that doesn’t mean Atlanta has to change who they are. It’s the culture there.
Black America has been going off on Atlanta yet the city continues to be one of the most visited cities for Black tourist and is still experiencing one of the highest Black growths in the nation. Atlanta is simply put the most relevant and popular city in Black culture. So negative self hating Black Americans such as yourself will get off on the negative stories coming out the city while other Black Americans will speak about the city in a more neutral positive light hence the NY Times journalist Charles Blow urging Black Americans to move back down south.

Btw, I'll never take Black Americans who focus on trivial topics such as Swag Surfing serious. For example Atlanta has the most thriving Black tech scene in all of America and is literally ushering in start up companies and VC money into the city of Atlanta. Combined that with the local Black political structure changing the political landscape for the entire state of Georgia. Literally turning Georgia into a swing state and electing 2 democratic U.S. Senators to represent their state. Which Raphael Warnock happens to be one of the few Black U.S. Senators in America history.

But let's focus on some secular music being played in a church in Atlanta. It's time to mature up. Log off the shade room please and enter the real world for once in your life.

Quote:
Honestly, the Texas cities Houston and Dallas are the most popular cities for Black people now overall so neither DC or Atlanta have been winning in that regard. It will be interesting to see how this discussion changes in the next 10 years.
I'm a born and raised Texan and live in Houston now. Atlanta is still more popular than both Texas cities especially Dallas. DFW is gaining popularity but it still has a reputation for not being as "Black friendly" compared to Atlanta, Houston and even Charlotte. And I say all this knowing Atlanta is losing some popularity within Black America but that tends to happen when one city is overexposed in pop culture. Funny though because a ton of single 20 something Black gen Z and younger Millennials will move to Houston literally for the same simplistic basic reasons that people flocked to Atlanta for 5 to 10 years ago.

Houston imo has become an alternative for that demographic of Black folks who would have choose Atlanta 10 years ago but trust me they'll be having the same issues with Houston when the cost of living continues to go up and more Black people move here making it more of a competitive market to truly thrive in. I'm already hearing that now. The honeymoon phase for Black Houston is starting to show cracks but Houston and Atlanta for that matter are not the issue. It's the transplants with this unrealistic mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
There are two things I take from those "Atlanta is Ghetto/dangerous/a scam" posts that are popular. First, there is the fact that it's an easy way to drum up views on the algorithm. Atlanta is a pop culture nexus point, so anything that happens here will get played up on the algorithms.

Secondly, and this is the most glaring, is that they are always by someone who moved here from somewhere else and they are realizing that Atlanta is a place in real life where everything they heard was a fantasy. They seemed almost shocked that them being a big deal back home in whatever sad town or suburb they came from doesn't translate to Atlanta. If they aren't just doing it for the views it's almost an admission of failure because they're dreams of living the high life in Atlanta came with a price tag too high for them so they ended up in some lackluster apartment in Gwinnett county that came with a 45 minute commute.

All I can say to that bunch is "BYE, thanks for giving back some space for the rest of us." Sadly though, for every person like that there are 25 more that think the same way but will stay long term.
exactly this! You'll have a 23 year old move to Atlanta with no job and only a few thousand dollars saved up complain about how ratchet the city is. Like no one told you to move here with no job and with no knowledge of the area you moved to. It's literally the same type of transplant who moves to these cities unprepared. When me and my Wife moved to Atlanta we did extensive research and moved with jobs and had none of those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City