Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 10:41 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The most interesting thing about this is street wear came from DC and spread to NYC and other cities. Diddy and Russell Simmons already admitted they got the idea of street wear from DC in the 1980s.
Diddy and Russel Simmons did not invent streetwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC was still chocolate city in it's heyday. Even New Yorkers claimed this. NYC was never given the title of a "Black Capital" or a "Chocolate City". 3 cities in the country stand out as this over the past 70 years, in any order DC, Atlanta, and Detroit. DC was Atlanta even before Atlanta was Atlanta in many respects. Black Broadway in DC was acknowledged as DC's Harlem. Anyone born in the early 80's or before acknowledges this. New York dudes would come down to DC for HU homecoming and describe it as a pilgrimage to the "Mecca" in HU. Alpo/Rico played in Paid in Full, what's the main line he's saying? "DC yo, it's where it's at, yo get with me, we gotta hit up DC". NYC has been the largest cultural exporter of it's local culture to the country sure, but it wasn't a heavier "Black Capital" IMO, maybe tied with DC-ATL at best. NYC's black culture doesn't permeate DC or Atlanta either tbh.
The 80s was before my time but even this doesn't show any export or influence of DC culture to NYC. Black folks from up north love the DMV. I myself moved from Jersey to DC and there's tons of ex New Yorkers and ex Jersey folks here. However, growing up we didn't have any influence from or knowledge of DC except folks who had family there or went to school there.

Harlem and Brooklyn have been the progenitors of Black New York culture for awhile now. New York takes cues from those areas and other cities but not DC. I can't think of anything DC influenced in New York, especially in the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 10:44 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Def have to provide some examples with that being said
As a northeastern black person-its definitely NYC.

There's a huge gap between that and DC because it's the capital for Philly/PA heads and all of NY State and Southern New England, ultimately.

DC is more a place for relocation from the NE...because it's a sort of separate. So culturally, in terms of speech and dress, weekend visitation is geared towards Maryland, Delaware, and points south like VA and NC.

Philly probably has more influence than DC culturally.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-17-2024 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-17-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
DC was still chocolate city in it's heyday. Even New Yorkers claimed this. NYC was never given the title of a "Black Capital" or a "Chocolate City". 3 cities in the country stand out as this over the past 70 years, in any order DC, Atlanta, and Detroit. DC was Atlanta even before Atlanta was Atlanta in many respects. Black Broadway in DC was acknowledged as DC's Harlem. Anyone born in the early 80's or before acknowledges this. New York dudes would come down to DC for HU homecoming and describe it as a pilgrimage to the "Mecca" in HU. Alpo/Rico played in Paid in Full, what's the main line he's saying? "DC yo, it's where it's at, yo get with me, we gotta hit up DC". NYC has been the largest cultural exporter of it's local culture to the country sure, but it wasn't a heavier "Black Capital" IMO, maybe tied with DC-ATL at best. NYC's black culture doesn't permeate DC or Atlanta either tbh.
this is old stuff. Honestly, DC- for people in Upstate NY, PA, New Egland....the real northeast- is kind of its own region, the DMV. We don't know much about it until we go there.

Speaking for friends from Albany, Hartford, and Harrisburg.. I knew virtually nothing (as in nothing whatsoever) about DC culturally until I visited for college visits. Yet I knew EVERYTHING I could reasonably know about NYC. I knew a good deal about Philly. I had gone to both several times.

But yea, people in Schenectady, Newark, and New Haven aren't taking cues from DC over NYC. They do not share more culture with DC over NYC. Even if they are more African American than NYC itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
growing up we didn't have any influence from or knowledge of DC except folks who had family there or went to school there.
Truth

Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Interesting poll how 2nd place is not even close to close. You don't usually see such complete agreement on polls like this.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:56 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
NYC's black culture doesn't permeate DC or Atlanta either tbh.
You mean with the exception of all that hip hop you hear on local radio stations?

Old 01-17-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean with the exception of all that hip hop you hear on local radio stations?
With exception to a lot more than that.

There is no DC equivalent to New Jack City or the Harlem Rennaissance in black culture. Especially not for black people from the Northeast.

This is a world of Teddy Riley, Honey, And 1, Sean John Fur Hooded Jackets with the Orange in them, Forces/Uptowns, Fire Escapes and walk-ups, and ethnicities crossing cultures

DC is more of an institutional base for black culture in America (News Papers, Colleges, corporations, Military, etc.).

Old 01-17-2024, 11:04 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There is no DC equivalent to New Jack City or the Harlem Rennaissance in black culture. Especially not for black people from the Northeast.
This is the DC equivalent of Juice. Doubt many people have seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSP2UwCkYY

Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is the DC equivalent of Juice. Doubt many people have seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSP2UwCkYY
Well I watched it a few years back...it wasn't very good. No the equivalent to Juice, of course. Very siff and slow but the interactions and mindset were realistic, it was pretty. I know the area...Eckington where it was base on..So I Watched it. But every few people saw it. Felt more tailored to the Independent Art film circuit than a real cinematic film.

Quite frankly (and I'm very biased) but the Boston version of Juice (Squeeze, 1997) was a lot better..and more like Juice thank to Hector Cutanda. You also may recognize Tyrone Burton from The Parent'Hood here. NO this ISNT a plug for Boston so don't start...just sharing a very Juice-like movie that is good. You should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1s...el=RonnieDuong

Old 01-17-2024, 11:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Not sure what point is trying to be proven here. DC or DMV people don't attempt to follow NYC culture period point blank. NYC is not more of a "Black Capital" more specifically African American capital than either DC or Atlanta. Regardless of whether people in NYC or other parts of the NE follow DC. DC is the bridge between the both the Northeast and Southeast therefore it doesn't have a cultural allegiance to either place thus making it stand out.

NYC is a great cultural exporter, but that doesn't mean that Black culture in DC or ATL are trying to be like New York, that's a huge jaded misconception that New Yorkers have always had.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Not sure what point is trying to be proven here. DC or DMV people don't attempt to follow NYC culture period point blank. NYC is not more of a "Black Capital" more specifically African American capital than either DC or Atlanta.
This is the point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
In that case:

Oakland
Atlanta
Chicago

Detroit and D.C. are probably saying "What about us?" NYC for the northeast. .

She was correct. You replied...

Quote:
DC is much more an African American "capital" than NYC is in reality. It is for the whole East Coast until you get down to Atlanta's sphere.

The point is we're disproving that. DC is the black capital for the DMV, I'm sure. Not refuting that. But it is not for the entire Northeastern black population...no no no. That is definitively New York City. Maybe you didn't mean northeastern but that is what Shakeesha said.

In 2024 DC is more the Black Capital for Black Americans at large, sure. I don't argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City