Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 12:20 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're the one who referenced that video in this thread which really has ZERO to do with the topic of this thread. What does it even have to do with your claim that Atlanta is the so-called working-class Black capital?

And of course you were raised in church;you're Black and of a certain age. But I'm not talking about your parents dragging you to church as a kid, but whether you attend regularly as an adult. And by the way, the dReam Center is a Full Gospel Baptist congregation.

At any rate, this whole thing says so much more about you than it could ever say about Atlanta. You act as though I'm the only one checking you here. The issue is you, like it always is in these discussions. Even AshleyQuinn is more objective about Atlanta than you.

I mean DC is on the verge of having no popular major league sports teams remaining in the city, and you talmbout some suburban church Swag Surfin' on NYE.
As a kid? I’ve been going to church my whole life. Do you go to church? The mere fact that you’re defending that behavior in church says a whole lot about your background, but you’re from SC by way of Atlanta so why am I surprised. Atlanta must have really performed a number on you. That scene would have ended the same way it did in the temple when Jesus was flipping tables!

I have said there are only 3 cities in America that have a strong Black professional scene. DC, Atlanta, and NYC are those places which I have said countless times. Atlanta has more than any city outside of DC and NYC. That doesn’t change the fact that Atlanta attracts everyone else too. People aren’t talking about low income people when they say ghetto, they’re talking about the culture of the city.

And no sports teams in DC? What are you talking about? The Washington Capitals, Washington Wizards, Washington Nationals, Washington Mystics, and DC United are all located in DC. The Washington Commanders are pending a relocation decision and the arena in VA is not even a done deal but we will see which is 5 years away in 2029. I actually think the arena in VA is a good thing for downtown DC because the focus for downtown DC needs to be building enough housing to accommodate 200,000 new people across downtown. Every vibrant major downtown in the world is vibrant without an arena because of the mixed use nature of their downtown. DC has more potential to create that than any city in America when you consider the land mass under discussion.

DC added more people last year than any year since before 2015 with more than 8,000 people added to the city. DC will be just fine.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-08-2024 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No wonder we're being distracted from substantial issues that are much more relevant to the topic at hand. And this isn't me attempting to tear down one city at the expense of another because I have no perch to be looking down on any of our people in the first place.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/this-...OHSGO57XABKUY/

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...e-ef4ec8f86fec
And yet….

678,972: DC Sees Population Rise In 2023

The U.S. Census Bureau released new data on Tuesday that shows that the city’s population grew 8,023 to 678,972 people between July 1, 2022 to July 1, 2023. It marks the second year in a row that DC’s population increased.

The growth is attributed to the city having 2,607 more births than deaths in the period above, as well as it being the first year since 2019 that the city had positive net migration -- 5,460 more people moved in than moved out.

The population increases of the last two years are helping offset the COVID-related population declines in 2021, when the city lost approximately 20,000 residents.

DC will be just fine because, well it’s DC lol!!!

Old 01-08-2024, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree now that I look back over my life and travels.
Yeah, the Black upper class is really small so no city can claim that title. This thread is dated now because things have been changing for years. Honestly, the Texas cities Houston and Dallas are the most popular cities for Black people now overall so neither DC or Atlanta have been winning in that regard. It will be interesting to see how this discussion changes in the next 10 years.

I think cities compete for different things. DC competes for Black professionals which is why it will never win a competition for all Black people. Atlanta has always been a place that attracts everyone, but that seems to be changing and it may become a place like DC soon because of the cost of living. Houston and Dallas seem to be the cities that attract everyone now.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-08-2024 at 12:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2024, 07:20 AM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Atlanta does have a bad reputation on social media for whatever reason even though a lot of the stuff is either exaggerated or inaccurate. Atlanta gets blamed for things that are an issue in our culture itself though those issues can sometimes be more pronounced in Atlanta. Perception is reality Texas is viewed as the promise land now for blacks and other medium size cities like Charlotte are all viewed as better options. I was talking to someone the other day from Detroit and she was going off about how bad and dirty Atlanta is and wouldn't recommend anyone ever move there.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:56 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Do you go to church?
I do (althoigh not quite as often as I used to), and my church in Atlanta was in Oakland City and not at all like dReam Center. Nor were any of the other church I visited there on occasion. The church I frequent in DC is in NE.

Quote:
The mere fact that you’re defending that behavior in church says a whole lot about your background, but you’re from SC by way of Atlanta so why am I surprised.
You're just outright lying now. I said twice that what occurred at Murphy's church wasn't my cup of tea but unlike you, I have no need to feign righteous indignation since your point of contention isn't that this happened in any church, but a church in suburban Atlanta. Had it happened anywhere else, it probably wouldn't have even caught your attention, so spare me. I don't even recall you participating in discussion the couple of times that church or religious issues came up in threads like these. When it came to culture and music discussions, your contributions were all street/hood/hip hop-related--and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that; but I never saw much of a religious influence that colored your contributions so forgive me if I'm not sold on your newfound piety as though you recently had a near-death experience or something.

And you don't even know what it means to be from "X by way of Y" which is hilarious. Once again, you're wrong wrong wrong. Now watch how you try and flip this by asking "But you said you are originally from SC and used to live in Atlanta" because you have no clue that "being from SC by way of Atlanta" means something in particular that I never claimed.

Quote:
Atlanta must have really performed a number on you. That scene would have ended the same way it did in the temple when Jesus was flipping tables!
Really? How was exactly does that scene constitute "turning the Father's house into a den of thieves"? For the nth time, I don't justify it but it had nothing to do with financially exploiting the faithful poor. It kinda helps to know the Bible if you're going to reference it.

Quote:
I have said there are only 3 cities in America that have a strong Black professional scene. DC, Atlanta, and NYC are those places which I have said countless times. Atlanta has more than any city outside of DC and NYC. That doesn’t change the fact that Atlanta attracts everyone else too. People aren’t talking about low income people when they say ghetto, they’re talking about the culture of the city.
Here you go yet AGAIN, changing up the goalposts. You claimed Atlanta was the working-class capital; you said nothing about it being the "ghetto" capital (although you clearly believe it is) and I questioned the relevance of the video in relation to that particular claim. The only correlation one could reasonably make given that video is a generational one, not a socioeconomic one. Murphy's church has a huge Millenial/Gen Z/young Gen X membership and he's a recording artist.

Quote:
And no sports teams in DC? What are you talking about?
Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit, is it?

Quote:
DC added more people last year than any year since before 2015 with more than 8,000 people added to the city. DC will be just fine.
Even if all 8,000 new residents were from Atlanta, bringing their sacrilegious ghetto culture with them?

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-08-2024 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-08-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And yet….

678,972: DC Sees Population Rise In 2023

The U.S. Census Bureau released new data on Tuesday that shows that the city’s population grew 8,023 to 678,972 people between July 1, 2022 to July 1, 2023. It marks the second year in a row that DC’s population increased.

The growth is attributed to the city having 2,607 more births than deaths in the period above, as well as it being the first year since 2019 that the city had positive net migration -- 5,460 more people moved in than moved out.

The population increases of the last two years are helping offset the COVID-related population declines in 2021, when the city lost approximately 20,000 residents.

DC will be just fine because, well it’s DC lol!!!
So a bonadide crime wave in DC, the worst in 20 years with big increases in several major categories of crime, is not only something to brush off but is actually humorous to you while Atlanta, trending in the exact opposite direction with significant decreases across several major crime categories, suffers from a perpetual Code Red Level-5 terrorism threat because one church in the suburbs played secular music at their NYE service for a few fleeting minutes (that was followed by an altar call that 150 attendees responded to)?

And you still believe it's Atlanta taking the L here and not you?

But sure, keep laughing with your head in the sand while Black residents disproportionately suffer. But you probably don't even care since you likely believe them to be the unwashed massed that only drag the city's bourgeoisie Black statistics down. But in real life; this is what's happening to real people:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1779...-washington-dc

https://news.yahoo.com/big-cities-ar...085802158.html

https://wtop.com/dc/2023/11/its-an-a...ate-testimony/

https://thegrio.com/2023/11/09/publi...washington-dc/

Just when I think it's impossible for you to sink any lower, somehow you manage to exceed my expectations.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 7,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Atlanta does have a bad reputation on social media for whatever reason even though a lot of the stuff is either exaggerated or inaccurate. Atlanta gets blamed for things that are an issue in our culture itself though those issues can sometimes be more pronounced in Atlanta. Perception is reality Texas is viewed as the promise land now for blacks and other medium size cities like Charlotte are all viewed as better options. I was talking to someone the other day from Detroit and she was going off about how bad and dirty Atlanta is and wouldn't recommend anyone ever move there.
Atlanta is new and shiny. Massive growth can be seen everywhere. Not sure what you are talking about when it comes to "ghetto". Now Detroit, that city has been ghetto for 50 years. Atlanta is wealthy, growing, magnet for jobs, extremely diverse, luxury neighborhoods everywhere and has an ever growing skyline.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
As long as I've known myself, Atlanta's reputation has always been polarizing with lots of people falling into either the "hate it" or "love it" camp. That's nothing new at all and the laments, testimonials, etc. from social media or even folks in person are just expected at this point. And if you've lived there, you know it's a similar to the city's relationship with its suburbs and the vast swaths of rural Georgia which are also polarizing with an interracial component to it. And yet and still, all of that is balanced out by its actual positives and noteworthy features both locally and nationally. Furthermore, it's not uncommon to see even staunch critics of the city (who resided or formerly resided there) grudgingly admit everything it has going for it. In real life these things balance out.

But the thing is, you'd expect on a forum called City Data that attracts urban aficionados who are much more informed about cities than the average Joe that more objective, rational, and balanced takes will prevail at least most of the time. And that's much more true for discussions involving Black America given so many inaccurate, misleading, one-sided narratives that exist regarding us collectively; the last thing you'd expect is for us to do the same thing amongst ourselves. I mean the anti-Atlanta zeal is as strong in we-know-who as it is in Christopher Rufo in his anti-CRT/DEI campaign who spearheaded the effort to get Claudine Gay canned. I mean everyone has their biases, but the vast majority of us at least attempt to keep them in check.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:58 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
There are two things I take from those "Atlanta is Ghetto/dangerous/a scam" posts that are popular. First, there is the fact that it's an easy way to drum up views on the algorithm. Atlanta is a pop culture nexus point, so anything that happens here will get played up on the algorithms.

Secondly, and this is the most glaring, is that they are always by someone who moved here from somewhere else and they are realizing that Atlanta is a place in real life where everything they heard was a fantasy. They seemed almost shocked that them being a big deal back home in whatever sad town or suburb they came from doesn't translate to Atlanta. If they aren't just doing it for the views it's almost an admission of failure because they're dreams of living the high life in Atlanta came with a price tag too high for them so they ended up in some lackluster apartment in Gwinnett county that came with a 45 minute commute.

All I can say to that bunch is "BYE, thanks for giving back some space for the rest of us." Sadly though, for every person like that there are 25 more that think the same way but will stay long term.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:53 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What's that?

Have you ever seen a black Floridian? Spot them a mile away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City