Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
So many thoughts and perspectives flowing in this thread... whoa.

I think as far as perspective goes, Atlanta always dominates the conversation as evident in this thread poll and countless articles written on the subject. While I do not currently have the energy to address the multitude of opinions found in this thread I do want to share two articles that I find interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...=.6f17661741bb

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/5a5bf.../#68a4f7f0cd33
The second article was a poor observation if you ask me. Baltimore was listed as murder capital last year and continues to loss population and I am very familiar with southern Florida (all of my brother and family on my dad side live there from Jacksonville to Miami!) and many black folks there will tell you that the bias from the Hispanics in the job sector makes it hard for African americans to thrive even further.

That’s why a lot of native Black south floridans are moving to other southern cities like Atlanta or Charleston and others have left Dade county and moved to other Florida regions! I don’t have any articles or stats on this but this is what I observed from all my friends who live in Florida but wanted to achieve success with nothing in their way!

I forgot to add that gentrification is also currently attacking well known black communities in Miami such as Overtown the main hub of African Americans and also Little Haiti the main hub of Haitian immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Well in that case I would say black on black crime in Atlanta is still quite high. As far as helping poor communities I think Atlanta is like most cities. Not doing much!
"Black on Black crime"? People are still using that term?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Black on Black crime"? People are still using that term?
When did people stop using that term? The name of the thread is black capitol so I’m assuming as far as crime goes the OP is talking about crime in the black communities. So for this thread I think the term should be taken out of the coffin! Since we are talking about Black communities.

Now if this were an overall political debate I’d agree with you!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 03-18-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
When did people stop using that term? The name of the thread is black capitol so I’m assuming as far as crime goes the OP is talking about crime in the black communities. So for this thread I think the term should be taken out of the coffin! Since we are talking about Black communities.

Now if this were an overall political debate I’d agree with you!
No, it's a complete BS term. Nobody uses the term "White on White crime," "Hispanic on Hispanic crime," "Asian on Asian crime," etc. So why pathologize Black people specifically with the term "Black on Black crime"? We can talk about crime within Black communities without using that racist ass term.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, it's a complete BS term. Nobody uses the term "White on White crime," "Hispanic on Hispanic crime," "Asian on Asian crime," etc. So why pathologize Black people specifically with the term "Black on Black crime"? We can talk about crime within Black communities without using that racist ass term.
That’s actually just your opinion to be honest (BS term) and neither am I disagreeing with you. The fact is the majority of cities on the top 25 murderous or crime infested list are cities with high black populations or majority black populations given the socioeconomic issues in these places.

But as I was saying I’m pathologizing the term right now because this thread is focused on black communities.
I don’t think there’s a much of a debate that blacks commit crimes to other blacks in black communities just like whites commit crimes to whites in white communities.

Answering the OPs question, crime in the black community in Atlanta is more on the high side than low!

Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That’s actually just your opinion to be honest (BS term) and neither am I disagreeing with you. The fact is the majority of cities on the top 25 murderous or crime infested list are cities with high black populations or majority black populations given the socioeconomic issues in these places.

But as I was saying I’m pathologizing the term right now because this thread is focused on black communities.
I don’t think there’s a much of a debate that blacks commit crimes to other blacks in black communities just like whites commit crimes to whites in white communities.

Answering the OPs question, crime in the black community in Atlanta is more on the high side than low!
Then just say "crime." Since the subject is Black communities, we already know the context and there's no need to keep that BS, racist term alive.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 926,411 times
Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN are kind of up there.....

Old 03-18-2018, 03:27 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,104,077 times
Quote:

Those listings will always reflect the same/similar narrative. It's highly concentrated social networks that engage in these violent crimes. Overall, Atlanta violent crimes is lower than it's peak years. Baltimore didn't have the highest homicide rate , St.Louis still occupy that position.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN are kind of up there.....
In what sense?

Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Which ghettos have improved the most (less crime) over the years? Los Angeles area or the Atlanta area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City