Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

This thread is about the Capital of Black America, and people are in here talking about drug kingpins, and murders.

WTF is wrong with y'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 02:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
NYc and LA are the largest American cities so they will be televised the most about their past, the same way Chicago has been televised non stop for the past decade even though outside of 2016/2017 Chicago’s murder rate was neither low or high. Matter of fact Chicago gets more attention than its neighbor Milwaukee that has had many years with a higher murder rate and ST. Louis which usually destroys Chicago in homicide rates.

Also one thing you should know is that NYC was also a crack empire that supplied crack throughout many cities in the northeast and southeast states. So a lot of drug kingpins in NYC were definitely a Root of a problem to other cities.

For example when Alpo was arrested it resulted in many arrest of drug dealers in the DC area when he snitched.

LA and NYC were some of the sources of the crack cocaine epedemic!
There already separate thread that talk about crime rate in cities get back on topic reguarding Capital of Black America.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
There already separate thread that talk about crime rate in cities get back on topic reguarding Capital of Black America.
Thank you!

Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This thread is about the Capital of Black America, and people are in here talking about drug kingpins, and murders.

WTF is wrong with y'all?
Wasn’t your question answered already? Someone a few pages back asked which city was doing more about crime and blacks in the ghetto.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
But I’m going to stop posting since this is off topic!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
But I’m going to stop posting since this is off topic!
Thank You, sir.

I didn't want this positive thread about melinated people into turn into something ignorant.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
LOL! Why the hell is Seattle on the list?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
I got a BA in criminology so I won’t really argue your last point and will agree actually.

As far as Stop and Frisk, in my opinion it only attacked brown skin as far as marijuana, so I will agree it was partially bias but not for illegal guns.

Illegal guns in just about any city that has strict gun laws (NYC, Chicago) are virtually almost always found in the hood. So it’s natural that stop and frisk for guns take place in the ghetto because of the high crime. NYC ghettos are more diverse than usual so when it came to guns I would say police who stopped and frisk for guns probably were more biased about your attire.

And if I’m not mistakened I think NYPD doesn’t practice stop and frisk anymore but I could be wrong.
No, they used it for all sorts of things.

I haven't lived in NYC full time since the late 90s, but I would go back regularly for visits. On one such trip I was at my grandmother's house helping her with some chores when I looked outside and saw five plain clothes cops surrounding a car with a middle aged Sikh couple...and all of the cops had their guns drawn. So I go out on the stoop to hear what was going on. Apparently this nice looking couple "looked suspicious" because they were driving a nice car in a mostly Black neighborhood.

I wouldn't think this couple were the type of folks to have drugs or guns on them. They looked like they were just going to the store. I know what they did have though...

Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
How dare someone in NYC bash the black culture in other cities when in NYC blacks are leaving NYC in record numbers. Nightlife, col, etc for blacks is horrible in NYC. Grown people over 30 still mostly living with a roommate or broke as hell with y'all high rent yet you are talking down on other cities...foh

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/06/2...ww.google.com/

The average black person in NYC has a roommate, works several jobs to try to make ends meet, high taxes, high col, few black owned nightclub venues compared to DC or ATL, etc. Foh
LOL, you made some sad but great points. That's why you find so many Black folks (and people in general) who have left NYC and moved to the South and pretty much anywhere else that is cheaper.

After a certain age/point in a lot of people's lives, unless you are very well off, NYC is really not worth living in for a lot of adults, especially if they have families or ever PLAN on having families and owning a home.

Sure, you can be the cool guy in the room and brag to people about how you are from Brooklyn or grew up in Harlem or whatever. But while you are doing that, other people in cheaper places that are viewed as less cool or less cultured can brag to you about how they own a nice 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house, and about how their children have a huge, green yard to run around and play in. You know...stuff that's actually practical and important in life.

Not trying to knock NYC. Just saying that different people have different priorities in life, and when it comes to Black folks especially---who are already economically behind, earn lower wages, etc in general---a dog eat dog place like NYC isn't necessarily the best or smartest place to try to get ahead or build wealth for most of us, even though it is admittedly a very cool place to live in, in a lot of other ways.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-17-2018 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
LOL, you made some sad but great points. That's why you find so many Black folks (and people in general) who have left NYC and moved to the South and pretty much anywhere else that is cheaper.

After a certain age/point in a lot of people's lives, unless you are very well off, NYC is really not worth living in for a lot of adults, especially if they have families or ever PLAN on having families and owning a home.

Sure, you can be the cool guy in the room and brag to people about how you are from Brooklyn or grew up in Harlem or whatever. But while you are doing that, other people in cheaper places that are viewed as less cool or less cultured can brag to you about how they own a nice 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house, and about how their children have a huge, green yard to run around and play in. You...stuff that's actually practical and important in life.

Not trying to knock NYC. Just saying that different people have different priorities in life, and when it comes to Black folks especially---who are already economically behind, earn lower wages, etc in general---a dog eat dog place like NYC isn't necessarily the best or smartest place to try to get ahead or build wealth for most of us, even though it is admittedly a very cool place to live in, in a lot of other ways.
i'm not from n.y.c. but having a large yard is a waste of space (would be more practical to build on) especially when there is snow on the ground for 6 months (more to shovel). and in the summer its more work to cut. i can understand bedrooms but how many bathrooms does one pair of butt cheeks need ? i prefer cities... nobody wants to come out and chill with you (especially if they dont have a car and no subway reaches you) when there is not much activity near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City