Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times

Advertisements

Philly, DC, Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,125 times
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned North Philadelphia. Camden and Baltimore are also terrible, but I've never seen anything that compares to the density and expanse of North Philly's ghettos.

one from Camden:

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacountryboy View Post
Camden, NJ which is right across from Philadelphia. I have absolutely no idea why people would choose to live in such places. Here in Middle America, you could probably get a nice apartment in a very safe small town, near to Des Moines with virtually no crime for about the same price.
Do you understand that many people who live in places like Camden can't afford to live in other, much nicer, places?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM

23 posts, read 25,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacountryboy View Post
Once again, maybe I am naive but I don't understand why people would choose to live in these crapholes. I have traveled all over this country and there are SO MANY possibilities, places you can move to where you could reinvent yourself. Driving through Kansas once, I remember thinking, just in that state alone, there are so many different places you could move to which are totally safe, offer great quality of life, very low cost of living, decent economy, I don't get it!
Are you really this dumb? It's not the buildings that make a ghetto but the PEOPLE.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
how can people be so stupid? this is not the USA no building in the USA has this type of architecture, this is Budapest Romania in east Europe

And that is 100% not Budapest Hungary

Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
What a shame. i really like Philadelphia too. I knew it had some scary sections, but those were pretty bad. It doesn't change my opinion of Philly though. It's still a cool city, warts and all.

On the other end of the state, Pittsburgh has some nasty neighborhoods that i found myself in. One was Homestead's main street section. The whole town is boarded up except for the nice new shopping center along the riverfront. And across the river, is Braddock. A once neat little historic city that literally looks like it got left in the 60's and hasn't been touched since. And I'm not sure what the neighborhood is called, I want to say the Hills or Hill district of the city was a little scary looking. But I never really felt in danger. Not that I'd get out of my car and just start walking around. Definitely not at night.

And closer to home, if anyone is familiar with the Manchester neighborhood of Richmond, VA, it's pretty scary. It has it's own downtown feel in the shadow of modern downtown Richmond across the river. It's storefronts are all boarded up and nothing but rough looking individuals roaming the streets at all hours. It's slowly becoming gentrified one building at a time. It has the potential to be a real hip neighborhood. I wish I had pictures to post, but as I said earlier, I was too afraid to get out and walk around.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
lol those areas in dc look like "regular" areas in many parts of the south. i don't know if its been posted but parts of east ny are a throwback to the 80's IMO.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 AM

220 posts, read 372,048 times
What I notice in the Northeastern cities is that they need green. If old and abandoned buildings were torn down, and trees/shrubs planted, it really wouldn't be so bad, more low income, but not really ghetto. When I visited my friend in Chicago almost 5 years ago, there were a lot more parks, lawns and trees than what I've seen, even in Manhattan.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 AM

220 posts, read 372,048 times
With the exception of Central Park, of course, but coming down the Hudson, from Yonkers on, it looks nasty, to me, but I have to live around some nature. I'd lose my mind in some of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City