Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,041 times

Advertisements

Now I'm not good at this Street View thing but I'll try, here's Queens (South[side] Jamaica & Far Rockaway).

40.697372,-73.79552 - Google Maps

40.592024,-73.783386 - Google Maps

40.588048,-73.806903 - Google Maps

In no way am I saying NYC is the worst but it's something you wouldn't expect from such an improved city, it still has bad areas just like every other city, every borough has bad parts. I'm just posting from my borough of Queens. These are just random street views since I don't remember what streets I'm on. I've seen worse than these.

And WOW, Detroit, New Orleans, & Camden all look pounded the the hell out, Nuked, Droned, Poisoned, & Beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
N130, those pics are all in Far Rockaway, not Jamaica.

And the pics are all from a giant city urban renewal zone. It isn't remotely like the ghettos in other cities.

What happened in Far Rockaway is that the city bought the land and buildings, and the area is rotting while the city decides what to do with the land.

And Far Rock isn't even the toughest area in NYC. Not even close. There are million dollar homes and condos in Far Rock (the Jewish part, close to the Nassau County line).

Many of those empty bungalow in your pics were bought by developers during the height of the building boom. They wanted to knock them all down to build condos, but the weak economy has delayed those plans. You even see the new condos in the background of some of the pics.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
N130, those pics are all in Far Rockaway, not Jamaica.

And the pics are all from a giant city urban renewal zone. It isn't remotely like the ghettos in other cities.

What happened in Far Rockaway is that the city bought the land and buildings, and the area is rotting while the city decides what to do with the land.

And Far Rock isn't even the toughest area in NYC. Not even close. There are million dollar homes and condos in Far Rock (the Jewish part, close to the Nassau County line).

Many of those empty bungalow in your pics were bought by developers during the height of the building boom. They wanted to knock them all down to build condos, but the weak economy has delayed those plans. You even see the new condos in the background of some of the pics.
No they're not all Far Rockaway, look at the map in the corner. 3 are from Far Rockaway and 2 are from South Jamaica (not Jamaica). When did I say that Far Rockaway was the worst part of NYC?

Yeah Far Rockaway is slowly improving but it's still pretty effed up, South Jamaica is slowly getting worse. Interesting thing about the bungalows, I didn't know they were bought but still they've been rotting away for a while now, that's why they look like that.

All I can say is here we go, why did I even post this lol.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 PM

And yes a lot of Far Rockaway is pretty remote and ghetto. It is one of the worst areas in NYC, not the worst though.

The Rockaways is very large, I know there's million dollar homes, that doesn't mean there aren't any slummish areas.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 PM

322 posts, read 614,354 times
Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, and most deff New Orleans...I mean Pre-Katrina was bad already. Now it's like a 3rd world country.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Now I'm not good at this Street View thing but I'll try, here's Queens (South[side] Jamaica & Far Rockaway).

40.592024,-73.783386 - Google Maps

40.588048,-73.806903 - Google Maps

In no way am I saying NYC is the worst but it's something you wouldn't expect from such an improved city, it still has bad areas just like every other city, every borough has bad parts. I'm just posting from my borough of Queens. These are just random street views since I don't remember what streets I'm on. I've seen worse than these.

And WOW, Detroit, New Orleans, & Camden all look pounded the the hell out, Nuked, Droned, Poisoned, & Beat.
Some of those houses in Queens look like ghetto areas of South Florida surprisingly.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah Far Rockaway is slowly improving but it's still pretty effed up, South Jamaica is slowly getting worse. Interesting thing about the bungalows, I didn't know they were bought but still they've been rotting away for a while now, that's why they look like that.
I agree with you that South Jamaica has been getting worse with the foreclosures and everything.

I have also noticed it is getting much more diverse than in the past. Before it was all African American, but I see a ton of Mexicans, Central Americans and Indians in the area (at least where I know by South Jamaica Houses).

Far Rock is basically two neighborhoods. The Jewish part is very nice and expensive. The mostly black/hispanic part is kinda bad but not horrible. Those bungalows were bought by the city years ago and are just rotting away. They look terrible.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Some of those houses in Queens look like ghetto areas of South Florida surprisingly.
That's because those homes are summer beach bungalows.

Far Rockaway was built as a summer colony. In the 70's and 80's, the city bought the remaining bungalows to build high-rise apartments. Unfortunately, the city had huge financial problems, so they only built like half the apartments.

The remaining vacant bungalows have been sitting there and rotting. They're slowly being replaced by new condos, but with the recession, the work has slowed down or sometimes stopped.

It will probably be another 10-15 years before all the bungalows are cleared.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
This is the first time in a while Ohio248 hasn't mentioned Chicago's poor economy as the reason why it has the worst ghettos.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
And yes a lot of Far Rockaway is pretty remote and ghetto. It is one of the worst areas in NYC, not the worst though.
I would definitely disagree with this.

Far Rock is maybe one of the worst areas of Queens, but it really is only bad in one part, and even there, not like a war zone or anything.

And, again, there are million dollar homes in Far Rock. I'm not talking about other parts of the Rockway Peninsula; I mean right in the heart of Far Rock, like two blocks from the tough parts.

Far Rock has a fast-growing Orthodox Jewish population, and they are buying up the crappy old homes and building McMansions and luxury condos. You can see some of this activity on Bing maps or Google streetview.

Brownsville, Brooklyn is probably the toughest neighborhood in NYC.

Toughest neighborhoods in the metro area are probably in Newark. Newark Central Ward and South Ward probably have the toughest blocks in the overall metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City