Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM

195 posts, read 660,246 times

Advertisements

I lived in Albuquerque last year, and for some reason i just did not like that city at all. I actually thought it would be a cool place, but i was not impressed. With that said Albuquerque's job market is a lot better than El Paso's. So that is one thing Burque has over the 915. I'm sure there are some other things, but not enough for me to say I like Albuquerque. Don't get mad, Albuquerqueans!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,622,231 times
here we go again

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 PM

811 posts, read 2,948,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
I lived in Albuquerque last year, and for some reason i just did not like that city at all. I actually thought it would be a cool place, but i was not impressed. With that said Albuquerque's job market is a lot better than El Paso's. So that is one thing Burque has over the 915. I'm sure there are some other things, but not enough for me to say I like Albuquerque. Don't get mad, Albuquerqueans!
Interesting...what part of Albuquerque did you live in & what kind of work did you do when you lived here?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalKat View Post
WOW this thread is interesting i have not read it all but will, just got excited i lived in El Paso west side by West Wind and Belvedere from 81-84 then moved to Albuquerque where i live now with my wife and 3 kids.

WHen i moved to abq in 84 i was in middle school and felt like i went back in time 25 years it was soo boring and behind the times compared to our neighborhood with all my buddies whos dads did business with mine at atari and GE.

Abq industry was not the same and i knew that then as a teenager.

Well i have not been back to el paso till this weekend when i took my wife and 3 kids. My wife grew up in LA by beverly hills, she likes abq but feel in love with El Paso west side to my total surprise!! so did our 14yr old.

Homes are CHEAP! for what our lil 1400ft home in Rio Rancho/Abq sells for we could buy a 2300ft home in the west side with palm trees and up kept yards, unlike most of abq!!!!

How ever im self employed onsite PC repair tech that use to work for microsoft/intel so transfering to el paso is a big jump with a lot to think about as i would have zero customer base and dont have the funds to float by till my business is rebuilt.

This thread is helpful to find out what is going on in el paso and to come after being away so long! I do miss it there im one of the few strange ones that like el paso. Living there as a kid you always heard about abq and the stuff they had once i got there i just got my butt in fights for being blonde blue eyed, didn't have that in el paso. in fact funny thing this weekend we saw over by rustler road and 375 Young Kims Tae Kwon Do. he is the son of Master Kims that i went to up here in abq..hmmm why did he move down to el paso?!?! interesting!

I look forward to more conversation on the two cities and hope to find a way back to el paso job wise being self employed if anyone has any input for me job wise please DM me.

thanks again!!
You failed to say the 25 years is reversed now.......where do you live in Rio Rancho or Albuquerque, with all the unkept yards.......hhmmm maybe the south valley?

Last edited by Jammie; 07-14-2008 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Replaced email addy with "DM" in quote.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
You failed to say the 25 years is reversed now.......where do you live in Rio Rancho or Albuquerque, with all the unkept yards.......hhmmm maybe the south valley?
Rio Rancho Northern Meadows...and yet most of rio rancho and abq i see a lot of front yards maintained by homeowners acc. but the back yards are weed infested. Im not the only one that has noticed this for YEARS. Im not diss'ing abq/rio that is my home but so is phx and well it amazes us how our house is maintained front and back with full grass and lush green trees and bush yet all around us there are very few that take pride and do the same they rather trash it with dogs running a muck and weeds. that is our complaint in abq/rio area.

take a good look all these nice raylee/dr horton homes look good out front but people get into them that can barely make the mortgage and the yards are nasty.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalKat View Post
Rio Rancho Northern Meadows...and yet most of rio rancho and abq i see a lot of front yards maintained by homeowners acc. but the back yards are weed infested. Im not the only one that has noticed this for YEARS. Im not diss'ing abq/rio that is my home but so is phx and well it amazes us how our house is maintained front and back with full grass and lush green trees and bush yet all around us there are very few that take pride and do the same they rather trash it with dogs running a muck and weeds. that is our complaint in abq/rio area.

take a good look all these nice raylee/dr horton homes look good out front but people get into them that can barely make the mortgage and the yards are nasty.
Ok, so now it makes sense. Most front yards are landscaped, I live in Ventana Ranch and both my neighbors back yards are landscaped.
As for people not being able to afford their mortgage, well they shouldn't get into a home they can't afford.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,074,373 times
I live in Abq and I love this city, I think it fits me perfectly, of course there are some things I dont really care for here but every city has pros and cons, but for the most part it just feels like home.

I also like El Paso and for some reason I feel comfortable there, I think the people are friendly and I just like the town, there is just something about it that I like, the only thing I dont like is how the interstate is laid out and all the traffic.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,750,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
Well i've lived in ABQ for over 13 years now and here's my thoughts.....

Albuquerque's economy is superior to EP and it pays more money up there with lots of Solar and Nanotech industries here and it's the city that drives most of New Mexico so a BOOMING ABQ is a good thing especially for revenues to the State treasury. It's also a green city with lots of trees even in the medians and the ski resorts are all close by as is Santa Fe etc...

But i agree with you lonewolf that it was just not for me as i HATE cold weather and miss the desert scenery as i HATE Colorado and Utah as it reminds me of those COLD states as i love the SUN and Heat of summer as that's why i love EP and Florida HOTtemps. So after 13 years i'm down to a month before i move back down to Southern NM and can't wait. And if it doesn't workout then i can always go back out to Jacksonville, Florida or maybe even Galveston, Texas as i do like the water but it's good to come back home as 13 years is way to long. I'm glad i'm in the Apartment Industry where i can live and work anywhere in the USA as long as you can pass a drug test and background check and have the Job Skills then you have employers wanting you.

I'm throwing out my winter jackets and can't wait !!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Well i've lived in ABQ for over 13 years now and here's my thoughts.....

Albuquerque's economy is superior to EP and it pays more money up there with lots of Solar and Nanotech industries here and it's the city that drives most of New Mexico so a BOOMING ABQ is a good thing especially for revenues to the State treasury. It's also a green city with lots of trees even in the medians and the ski resorts are all close by as is Santa Fe etc...

But i agree with you lonewolf that it was just not for me as i HATE cold weather and miss the desert scenery as i HATE Colorado and Utah as it reminds me of those COLD states as i love the SUN and Heat of summer as that's why i love EP and Florida HOTtemps. So after 13 years i'm down to a month before i move back down to Southern NM and can't wait. And if it doesn't workout then i can always go back out to Jacksonville, Florida or maybe even Galveston, Texas as i do like the water but it's good to come back home as 13 years is way to long. I'm glad i'm in the Apartment Industry where i can live and work anywhere in the USA as long as you can pass a drug test and background check and have the Job Skills then you have employers wanting you.

I'm throwing out my winter jackets and can't wait !!!!
I could understand you about the COLD.... i myself hate winter. I moved here from California in 1990 & the first two years I hated the winter here. I've never been to El Paso in the winter, however everyone here say's it's very mild. I guess I'll have to drive down there this winter & check it out.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,750,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
I could understand you about the COLD.... i myself hate winter. I moved here from California in 1990 & the first two years I hated the winter here. I've never been to El Paso in the winter, however everyone here say's it's very mild. I guess I'll have to drive down there this winter & check it out.
Oh it gets cold in El Paso and Southern New Mexico but the season is shorter and i don't think there any temps like for example ''18 in the Valley and 22 in the Heights'' as reported on the weather on KRQE News there in dec, jan, feb.....

I also met people in ABQ who like EP and Southern Nm but can't take the heat which i can understand as when they visit and come back up to ABQ they are like....Thank God''...lol.... Even myself who likes hot dry temps really swelted in Jacksonville, Florida as the 90% humidity was tough to acclimate too. The long timers there used to make fun of me because of the humidity bothering me when i was there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.