Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 35,382 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm out of the lurker mode and decided to actually participate in the forum. I've narrowed my relocation decision down to El Paso or Albuquerque for a planned move in June. Presently, I live in Chicago and quite ready to leave this city for numerous reasons, mostly because of the ridiculously high cost of living as well as the weather elements. I'm really able to work anywhere with a major airport since I mostly telecommute with occasional trips back to Chicago.

I spent a week in both of these great cities and developed an affinity for both cities. I've researched the ABQ and ELP forums, probably going back 5 years or so in discussion postings. I've plotted out the proverbial pro/cons lists (weather, cost of living, safety, things to do, etc) and it's almost down to a flip of a coin. From what I read, it does seem if El Paso is a safer environment, please strike me down if I'm wrong.

About me: I'm 40, single now for several years, white, gay male with varied interests. I'm very much into the Hispanic/Mexican culture and travel to Mexico quite often for my vacations. I studied Spanish for 5 years and conversant in the language. One of my top priorities will be to forge new friendships and I'm definitely open to dating/long-term relationship. So my questions are how easy it for outsiders to establish friendships (regardless of sexuality)? How would you characterize the gay community in El Paso, especially in comparison to Albuquerque? Simply from the gay bar scene, which is not always representative of "community", El Paso wins hands down.

Thanks for any feedback. I'm going to also post in the Albuquerque forum but I promise I won't be one of these members that post in EVERY US city forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Default Gay Community: ABQ versus El Paso

OK, so I'm out of the lurker mode and decided to actually participate in the forum. I've narrowed my relocation decision down to El Paso or Albuquerque for a planned move in June. Presently, I live in Chicago and quite ready to leave this city for numerous reasons, mostly because of the ridiculously high cost of living as well as the weather elements. I'm really able to work anywhere with a major airport since I mostly telecommute with occasional trips back to Chicago.

I spent a week in both of these great cities and developed an affinity for both cities. I've researched the ABQ and ELP forums, probably going back 5 years or so in discussion postings. I've plotted out the proverbial pro/cons lists (weather, cost of living, safety, things to do, etc) and it's almost down to a flip of a coin. The weather, hands down, is better in both of these cities compared to Chicago.

About me: I'm 40, single now for several years, white, gay male with varied interests. I'm very much into the Hispanic/Mexican culture and travel to Mexico quite often for my vacations. I studied Spanish for 5 years and conversant in the language. One of my top priorities will be to forge new friendships and I'm definitely open to dating/long-term relationship. So my questions are how easy it for outsiders to establish friendships (regardless of sexuality)? How would you characterize the gay community in Albuquerque, especially in comparison to El Paso? I realize there is no "Boy's Town" or gayborhood in ABQ. Simply from the gay bar scene, which is not always representative of "community", El Paso has a more dynamic nightlife.

Thanks for any feedback. Full disclosure: I'm also posting in the El Paso forum but I promise I won't be one of these members that post in EVERY US city forum.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM

112 posts, read 207,675 times
I can't speak for El Paso but I know Albuquerque has a decent sized gay community. Plus gay marriage is recognized in the state of NM. I'm not gay myself, but I say if you're liberal or left leaning come to NM. I say this because New Mexico is slightly center left. But as more and more people move here, they bring their conservative views with them. I don't want my beloved state to become snother Arizona. I love both cities and I think you would be happy in either place though.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,426,699 times
Welcome to the forum!

You've really done your homework, actually traveling to the places you're interested in. That's a big plus, compared to many of the people with questions who are totally green.

I don't know that I can help you except to say I've "been there," like you, single gay male, relocating to the Southwest, not knowing anybody. That was when I was 26 (now 47), and everything has changed. I'm now in a looooong-term relationship and completely out of circulation.

"How easy" it is to establish friendships will depend on you. The community here is pretty well-integrated into the broader community, we are not segregated. So that may make it more of a challenge. But, if you look at our Pride celebration in June (this year June 9-11) you'll see there are dozens of organizations to be a part of, it just depends on what your interests are. We have musical organizations, the Gay Rodeo, political groups, recreation, religious groups, support organizations, etc. That said, the gay friends I've had the longest are ones I just happened to meet in the course of daily life and work, not through bars or organizations.

Larger cities, like Denver, Phoenix, Austin, Dallas, Houston would have much larger and more active social scenes if that is what you're after. But most people who come to ABQ are not looking for that. I think we tend to be more independent, unpretentious, outdoorsy, and spiritual than you might find in the larger cities.

The following link may help you:

Albuquerque Pride directory (http://abqpride.com/directory/ - broken link)

I really don't know anything about El Paso but since you've posted there, those folks can help you. Keep in mind that the traditional Hispanic culture in Albuquerque and New Mexico is centuries-old and has little to do with today's Mexican culture. The two do not interact very much.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM

507 posts, read 1,660,704 times
Im straight, but while i lived in El paso i had at least 15 gay and lesbian friends. I know a lot of gay people in El Paso so there is a pretty big community. I haven't really heard but a few isolated incidents around 6 years ago of gays being harassed, but other than that, I feel El paso is pretty accepting. I mean the oldest night club in Texas is in El Paso and is an LGBT club.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM

185 posts, read 418,754 times
^^you forgot about the chico's tacos incident

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
^^you forgot about the chico's tacos incident
yeah i thought i put that on my post, whoops. i guess i deleted it

Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM

From my understanding, the infamous Chicos Tacos event was an abberation and far from the typical "live let live" mantra of El Paso.

Last edited by SWBound40; 03-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Goofed

Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,140,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBound40 View Post
From my understanding, the infamous Chicos Tacos event was an abberation and far from the typical "live let live" mantra of El Paso.
Pretty much. You would not have known that from the way everyone over reacted to the story on this forum. Sad, nay, pathetic!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM

112 posts, read 207,675 times
So what was this "Chicos Tacos" event everyone is talking about? I never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City