Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 12,485 times

Advertisements

Rate please this cities. What is good there and what is not. Which city has a prettiest downtown, best skyline, good nightlife and shopping and job possibilities. I am a big history, western heritage and architecture fan....where are a nice historical buildings? What about the weather?

I am 28 years old male from MS (but originaly from Czech republic) and I am thinking about to move to this area. Please help me to find a best place for me. MS is bad and I need a change, buy a new house, find a job and start a new life...

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Albuquerque if definitely the best of the choices given.

The scenery is beautiful ... everything from downtown to the mountains.

There is PLENTY to do and see. Sports .. entertainment .. tourism .. shopping .. just good times in general.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 AM

49 posts, read 158,658 times
Hey... I am also European and I am comming to USA to learn english - english course for mayby 6-7 months. I am thinking about Amarillo area (Canyon tx)Arlington tx, Denton Tx, and mayby El Paso... but also Albuquerque sounds good to me.
Can you tell me more about that place? Is the Albuquerque downtown pretty? Has Amarillo or Albuquerque prettier downtown? How are the people there? ....I have seen here in forum, that some people don´t like Albuquerque, they think that it is ugly and downtown is rough...some people here write, that Amarillo is boring...about El Paso, that it is dirty, rough and too much hispanic...
I have no idea, what to thing about that places...I would like to choose a good place where to study..and enjoy it. Please help me.

And to m.pedro - good luck I am also European and I envy, that you live in the USA.... btw. I have been to Biloxi MS and I had a great times there...it can´t be so bad there

Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM

149 posts, read 357,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.pedro View Post
Rate please this cities. What is good there and what is not. Which city has a prettiest downtown, best skyline, good nightlife and shopping and job possibilities. I am a big history, western heritage and architecture fan....where are a nice historical buildings? What about the weather?

I am 28 years old male from MS (but originaly from Czech republic) and I am thinking about to move to this area. Please help me to find a best place for me. MS is bad and I need a change, buy a new house, find a job and start a new life...

thanks
Albuquerque = good weather + high crime.
El Paso = same as ABQ only hotter + really high crime
Lubbock = good people, low crime, Texas Tech, lot's of family things to do.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
Wrong. Incorrect. Define and explain High Crime, compared to what?

Quote:
Yes El Paso is hotter... El Paso has a low crime rate. https://www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...t-city-us.html

I wonder how much time, if any, you have spent in El Paso...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
El Paso's crime is not higher than Albuquerque's according to any hard statistical facts I've ever seen. It may be across from Juarez, but that doesn't mean it is Juarez.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:46 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Quote:
Lubbock = good people, low crime, Texas Tech, lot's of family things to do.
I would have to disagree here.
I have lived in El Paso and Albuquerque and visited Lubbock on MANY occassions ...

In my experience Albuquerque is a MUCH nicer place to live and the crime rate in Lubbock is comparable to anything in Albuquerque.
As for family things to do there is just as much in Alb as what you will find in Lubbock.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Choose Albuquerque or El Paso. They are real cities with amenities and are in interesting locations.

Amarillo and Lubbock relatively small and remote. The terrain is flat and brown, wind-whipped and often smell from vast cattle lots and other industry. They may hold some charm for some people, but they are not, in my opinion, a good choice for Europeans looking to have a stimulating environment in which to experience America.

Many young people who live in Amarillo and Lubbock move to cities like Albuquerque and El Paso as soon as they finish High School.

Additionally, I believe Lubbock is in a 'dry' county meaning you cannot even buy alcohol there. Also, both Amarillo and Lubbock are Christian and conservative even by American standards while Albuquerque and El Paso have some cosmopolitan aspects.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM

437 posts, read 924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Choose Albuquerque or El Paso. They are real cities with amenities and are in interesting locations.

Amarillo and Lubbock relatively small and remote. The terrain is flat and brown, wind-whipped and often smell from vast cattle lots and other industry. They may hold some charm for some people, but they are not, in my opinion, a good choice for Europeans looking to have a stimulating environment in which to experience America.

Many young people who live in Amarillo and Lubbock move to cities like Albuquerque and El Paso as soon as they finish High School.

Additionally, I believe Lubbock is in a 'dry' county meaning you cannot even buy alcohol there. Also, both Amarillo and Lubbock are Christian and conservative even by American standards while Albuquerque and El Paso have some cosmopolitan aspects.
Lubbock was voted "wet" over a year ago. Let the good times roll.....
FYI: I don't know any young person from that region who headed to Albuquerque or El Paso. Seems like the overwhelming majority of those who leave the area head for DFW.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
According to this interactive map, more people moved from Bernalillo County to Lubbock Country in 2008 (the time period covered by this map) than vice versa (which I admit I find surprising). Only slightly more moved from Lubbock to El Paso than the other way around.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City