Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite songs about Albuquerque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSKG7kZF6iU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 AM

149 posts, read 357,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Big fail. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. LOL at trying to pin the crime in Juarez on El Paso. If anything that makes the job the officials are doing in El Paso that more amazing.

I would rank them

1. Albuquerque
2. El Paso
3. Lubbock
4. Amarillo

I would take Las Cruces over these four.
Big Fail on your part! ;

1. Lubbock
2. Amarillo
3. Albuquerque
4. El Paso

I don't take stock in statistics so what are you basing your premise on? Probably some statistics you found on the Internet that support your point. You can put any spin you want on to on statistics.

If you like Albuquerque, great! If you don't like Lubbock and there's a lot in NM that don't, then fine. Just don't tell me that Lubbock has more violent crime per capita that El Paso, I used to live in Lubbock and have relatives in EP. They tell me that EP is a pretty violent place.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

366 posts, read 869,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
Big Fail on your part! ;

1. Lubbock
2. Amarillo
3. Albuquerque
4. El Paso

I don't take stock in statistics so what are you basing your premise on? Probably some statistics you found on the Internet that support your point. You can put any spin you want on to on statistics.

If you like Albuquerque, great! If you don't like Lubbock and there's a lot in NM that don't, then fine. Just don't tell me that Lubbock has more violent crime per capita that El Paso, I used to live in Lubbock and have relatives in EP. They tell me that EP is a pretty violent place.
I think ibarrio was just listing the cities in order of his preference, not in terms of violent crime.

That said the big fail is on your part, if you use the stats that Poncho posted from City-Date for 2009 you can see that Lubbock is significantly more violent per capita than El Paso and actually had MORE murders total than El Paso.

You can not care about statistics all you want, but they mean way more than "someone told me it was violent."

Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM

149 posts, read 357,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
I think ibarrio was just listing the cities in order of his preference, not in terms of violent crime.

That said the big fail is on your part, if you use the stats that Poncho posted from City-Date for 2009 you can see that Lubbock is significantly more violent per capita than El Paso and actually had MORE murders total than El Paso.

You can not care about statistics all you want, but they mean way more than "someone told me it was violent."
Based on the 'objectivity' of some of the posts on this forum and by some forum moderators, I wouldn't deem CD statistics as reliable. Poncho notwithstanding.

A huge failure by YOU!

As far as statistics go, $1.00 and them will buy something off the value menu at McDonald's...tax not included.

Last edited by spiritof68; 02-11-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
Only one of these four cities has the Big Texan Steak Ranch. They win.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
One of my favorite songs about Albuquerque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSKG7kZF6iU
"Weird Al" Yankovic has the best song about Albuquerque, though.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Big fail. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. LOL at trying to pin the crime in Juarez on El Paso. If anything that makes the job the officials are doing in El Paso that more amazing.

I would rank them

1. Albuquerque
2. El Paso
3. Lubbock
4. Amarillo

I would take Las Cruces over these four.
1) Albuquerque
2) El Paso
3) Anywhere else in the world
4) Lubbock/Amarillo

Seriously though, Lubbock and Amarillo are ok if you can tolerate the wind and dust. People are friendly and the towns themselves aren't too bad. Lubbock is a pretty good college town. And in Amarillo, the town of Canyon is a nice small college town with the Palo Dura Canyon right outside of town.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,925,032 times
Keeping in mind that the OP is European, I think ABQ would be more culturally interesting than the other three - visiting the pueblos and Santa Fe, skiing/camping in the mountains, sampling the local food would make for an unforgettable experience. And UNM is a good university.
I had only lived in the US (Boston) for 2 years when I moved to ABQ for a year, and I loved it.
That said, I have also lived in Lubbock. Nothing in the way of scenery, but I met some of the nicest people I have ever known while there. And I loved Texas Tech.
I visited Canyon / Amarillo, meh.
As for El Paso, it may be safe, it may be scenic, but it's hundreds of miles from anywhere, that's my gripe about it.
That's my 5 cents worth.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM

112 posts, read 207,694 times
Never been to Lubbock or Amarillo so I can't comment on them.

Albuquerque and El Paso are both very similar though. Similar in size, similar in demographics, both have mountains, and both have a decent college. El Paso is safer than Albuquerque, pretty impressive considering that it's only a bridge across to the most violent city in the world.

I find Albuquerque to be prettier than El Paso, at least naturally. What with the Sandia mountains, the Rio Grande bosque, the west side mesas and volcanos. Albuquerque also has a better layout than El Paso, east to west, north to south. I don't like how El Paso wraps around the mountain. There is something to be said about the palm trees in El Paso though, I wish we had those here in Albuquerque.

My list would go like this..
1. Albuquerque
2.El Paso
3.Amarillo/Lubbock

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 239,797 times
BEAUTIFUL RUSTIC GIGANTIC RUGGED EL PASO CITY!

http://www.oea.gov/OEAWeb.nsf/70B0533B76ACB348852573AD0050A88C/$File/Ft%20Bliss%20Profile%20Final_with%20community%20re view.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City