Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe so, but I thought it was still an improvement over the merely anecdotal.
I generally agree, data over conjecture is usually better. But that assumes the underlying data is accurate and not overly "massaged" to produce any desired result.

That being said, the map is the first time I've seen that kind of data presentation on US population migration and it is pretty interesting. Not trying to be critical at all, thanks for sharing the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
Albuquerque = good weather + high crime.
El Paso = same as ABQ only hotter + really high crime
Lubbock = good people, low crime, Texas Tech, lot's of family things to do.
Big fail. El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US. LOL at trying to pin the crime in Juarez on El Paso. If anything that makes the job the officials are doing in El Paso that more amazing.

I would rank them

1. Albuquerque
2. El Paso
3. Lubbock
4. Amarillo

I would take Las Cruces over these four.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Finally Poncho, I did check the link you posted but it is a City-Data stat and references a magazine which in truth I skimmed through. So, I am not sure how reputable or reliable the article actually is.
No, it is a City-Data post, it is the first post of a thread. That post references a magazine article. I don't know how reputable it is.

How about this?
Quote:
Napolitano: 'Let's stick with facts' about border crime - KOLD News 13
Napolitano: 'Let's stick with facts' about border crime
Posted: Feb 01, 2011
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano

Violent crime rates are dropping in communities along the border, despite the perception that law enforcement has lost control.

"violent crime rates along the Southwest border counties are down 30 percent during the last two decades and are "among the lowest in the nation,"'

"Let's stick with the facts," Napolitano said, according to the Times. "We need to be up front and clear about what's really happening along our borders."
Quote:
Here is one I found on a google search; Let's not read too much into El Paso's low crime rate - Sleepless in Midland

It has 'blog' in the URL so how reputable is that?
Anybody can create a blog.

Quote:
So yeah, I can see your position, partially at any rate, but you won't convince me that EP is that safe of a city when you compare it to Lubbock. Statistics and $2.99 will buy an Itsaburger though.
Of course not. Lets not confuse the issue with some facts...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
FYI: I don't know any young person from that region who headed to Albuquerque or El Paso. Seems like the overwhelming majority of those who leave the area head for DFW.
I based my opinion solely on the demographics of UNM dorms in the 90s so I admit my data is anecdotal and dated, but back then there were a lot of west Texans who came to Albuquerque for school. I think those who go to DFW are those who don't care as much for mountains and skiing which seemed to be a big draw for those that came to UNM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sorry but you believe wrong.
Don't be sorry, I can admit I was wrong :-) Was Lubbock ever dry? If it was, when did that change?

Quote:
I have a home in Albuquerque and one north of Lubbock. I have to pick Lubbock over Albuquerque for living.
Your user name indicates your bias as does mine :-)

If I were retired and loved the high plains, I too would choose Lubbock over Albuquerque. If I were a Czech in my 20s trying to start a new life, I would pick Albuquerque.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I based my opinion solely on the demographics of UNM dorms in the 90s so I admit my data is anecdotal and dated, but back then there were a lot of west Texans who came to Albuquerque for school. I think those who go to DFW are those who don't care as much for mountains and skiing which seemed to be a big draw for those that came to UNM.

Don't be sorry, I can admit I was wrong :-) Was Lubbock ever dry? If it was, when did that change?

Your user name indicates your bias as does mine :-)

If I were retired and loved the high plains, I too would choose Lubbock over Albuquerque. If I were a Czech in my 20s trying to start a new life, I would pick Albuquerque.
As long as I can recall west Texans have been drawn to UNM. I had several friends over there and my major professor went to UNM. Back in the early 1970s I found myself at ENMU because of a job that allowed me to go to school there. I would have preferred UNM had I had the same opportunity as I had at Portales.

I'm not a big drinker but as far as I know Lubbock has been wet as long as I can remember. I know there were liquor stores in the early 1980s when I had an office at Lubbock. Maybe someone here knows for sure when the County, or City, became wet. I'm really not sure.

I love Albuquerque (I love all of New Mexico) but my family's native Texas roots and fond memories of my High Plains families brought me back to the Lubbock area to retire.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,964,886 times
I would rank Albuquerque easily over your other choices. It is true that Amarillo (and maybe Lubbock?) can smell rank when the wind is blowing the wrong way off the cattleyards. That puts me off completely. But Amarillo unlike ABQ has a wonderful performing arts center. And, yes, it is surprisingly true that El Paso has a fairly low crime rate, lower than ABQ. Have never been to Lubbock.

Albuquerque's downtown has a long way to go before it looks and feels vital and central, but has good bones. And, no, not pretty. But the city overall is a good size, has plenty to do, has many nice neighborhoods, a variety of decent restaurants, and cultural options, beautiful mountains at its doorstep, little real traffic, close proximity to the attractions of Santa Fe, and, I believe, a prosperous future.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM

437 posts, read 925,946 times
Quote:
As long as I can recall west Texans have been drawn to UNM. I had several friends over there and my major professor went to UNM. Back in the early 1970s I found myself at ENMU because of a job that allowed me to go to school there. I would have preferred UNM had I had the same opportunity as I had at Portales.

I'm not a big drinker but as far as I know Lubbock has been wet as long as I can remember. I know there were liquor stores in the early 1980s when I had an office at Lubbock. Maybe someone here knows for sure when the County, or City, became wet. I'm really not sure.

I love Albuquerque (I love all of New Mexico) but my family's native Texas roots and fond memories of my High Plains families brought me back to the Lubbock area to retire.
I don't know how long Lubbock County has been wet, but the City has allowed packaged alcohol sales just over a year now. Before that, you had to drive just outside the city limits to buy liquor. Of course, you could still always drink in bars, restaraunts, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Quote:
I don't know how long Lubbock County has been wet, but the City has allowed packaged alcohol sales just over a year now. Before that, you had to drive just outside the city limits to buy liquor. Of course, you could still always drink in bars, restaraunts, etc.
That sounds right. I recall that all the liquor stores were out in one area.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Up until May 9, 2009, Lubbock County allowed package sales but not "by the drink" sales of alcohol except at private institutions such as country clubs. Inside the Lubbock city limits, the situation was reversed with restaurants and bars able to serve alcohol but liquor stores are forbidden.

On August 12, 2008 the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce announced that they would lead the effort to get enough signatures to have a vote on allowing county-wide packaged alcohol sales. The petition effort was successful and the question was put to the voters.

On May 9, 2009, Proposition 1, which expanded the sale of packaged alcohol in the county, passed by nearly a margin of 2 to 1 with 64.5 percent in favor. Proposition 2, which legalized the sale of mixed-drink in restaurants county-wide, passed with 69.5 percent in favor. On September 23, 2009 The TABC issued permits to more than 80 stores in Lubbock.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

437 posts, read 925,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Up until May 9, 2009, Lubbock County allowed package sales but not "by the drink" sales of alcohol except at private institutions such as country clubs. Inside the Lubbock city limits, the situation was reversed with restaurants and bars able to serve alcohol but liquor stores are forbidden.

On August 12, 2008 the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce announced that they would lead the effort to get enough signatures to have a vote on allowing county-wide packaged alcohol sales. The petition effort was successful and the question was put to the voters.

On May 9, 2009, Proposition 1, which expanded the sale of packaged alcohol in the county, passed by nearly a margin of 2 to 1 with 64.5 percent in favor. Proposition 2, which legalized the sale of mixed-drink in restaurants county-wide, passed with 69.5 percent in favor. On September 23, 2009 The TABC issued permits to more than 80 stores in Lubbock.

Great info. Since that time, the infamous "Lubbock strip" has died. Only 1 of the stores there is stilll in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City