Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:59 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
mmm naw.. we wanted to beat la. I'd hardly call that a rivalry. I mean there was one in the late 80s. In basketball. id never consider LA a rival city or anything.
Its a sports rivalry. Not a city rivalry.

Irl LA Doesnt give a **** about Boston and Boston doesnt give a **** about LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 09:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its a sports rivalry. Not a city rivalry.

Irl LA Doesnt give a **** about Boston and Boston doesnt give a **** about LA
Guys... Boston can’t be rivals with everyone. We are using the term rivals way too loosely.

Boston and LA are not sports rivals. The Lakers and Celtics have a long and storied history. That’s it.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:28 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It was 107 in Sherman Oaks and 104 in Crenshaw.. grey air thick with smoke. Real bad.
Those two are normally more like 10-15 degrees apart. 104 in Crenshaw probably happens for a day every ten years or so. I guess bad timing on your part. And that combined with thick smoke from a fire is like once in a generation type stuff. You really picked an unfortunate time. What was the date if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-25-2021, 10:16 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Those two are normally more like 10-15 degrees apart. 104 in Crenshaw probably happens for a day every ten years or so. I guess bad timing on your part. And that combined with thick smoke from a fire is like once in a generation type stuff. You really picked an unfortunate time. What was the date if you don't mind me asking?
Sept 6-8, 2020

No doubt La has great weather but having the misfortune of arriving when you could see and feel the effect of global warming just wasn't pleasant Pretty jarring.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:14 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yes you do. At JFK and EWR, that's what the business men do. Motorcoach right into downtown. 1/3 the time of taking a train and half the cost of an uber.
Not at rush hour in non-COVID times. It’s impossible. You take the train from Manhattan and that short SkyTrain to EWR.

Besides, I said world class airports. Those two are disasters. Same for LGA. At any airport in Europe or Asia, you get off the plane, clear passport control, and hop on the train. Heathrow Express. Gatwick Express. RER at CDG. Frankfurt has a big train station colocated with FRA. Rome. Madrid. Lisbon. Dublin is the only major city I can think of in Europe that doesn’t have a train or a subway. All Asian cities have rail at the airport.

In the US, Philly, you take the train. DCA has the Metro. IAD almost has the metro. I don’t think it’s finished yet. BWI has light rail. Atlanta has a subway. Chicago ORD. Denver put in light rail. SFO. LAX is finally adding theirs.

Logan Airport is a disgrace. A visitor looks at the transportation map, sees Silver Line, and is greeted with an articulated bus instead of the subway as it’s represented on the map. It’s really pathetic.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not at rush hour in non-COVID times. It’s impossible. You take the train from Manhattan and that short SkyTrain to EWR.

Besides, I said world class airports. Those two are disasters. Same for LGA. At any airport in Europe or Asia, you get off the plane, clear passport control, and hop on the train. Heathrow Express. Gatwick Express. RER at CDG. Frankfurt has a big train station colocated with FRA. Rome. Madrid. Lisbon. Dublin is the only major city I can think of in Europe that doesn’t have a train or a subway. All Asian cities have rail at the airport.

In the US, Philly, you take the train. DCA has the Metro. IAD almost has the metro. I don’t think it’s finished yet. BWI has light rail. Atlanta has a subway. Chicago ORD. Denver put in light rail. SFO. LAX is finally adding theirs.

Logan Airport is a disgrace. A visitor looks at the transportation map, sees Silver Line, and is greeted with an articulated bus instead of the subway as it’s represented on the map. It’s really pathetic.
blue line ?

Old 08-26-2021, 06:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Guys... Boston can’t be rivals with everyone. We are using the term rivals way too loosely.

Boston and LA are not sports rivals. The Lakers and Celtics have a long and storied history. That’s it.
I’m pretty sure that’s all you need to be sports rivals. Celtics/Lakers is similar to Bruins/Habs, perhaps less significant than Sox/Yankees but definitely still a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
blue line ?
Would be nice if airport station were actually in the airport. I think I’m more on Geoff’s side for this one than not.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
I honestly don't see anything wrong with the transportation options Boston has to and from the airport. You have the Blue Line (with a shuttle bus) and the Silver line, which takes you directly to the region's largest train/bus station. Plus there are several regional buses that can take you up to NH and ME. The airport was a laughing stock years ago, but they've made several improvements that have made the experience much better.

Logan is unique because of its proximity to the downtown area. I live in Kuala Lumpur and the airport is a go ways outside the city, so a train is necessary because a taxi can take almost an hour from the city. Narita Airport is at least an hour from Tokyo. JFK requires you to switch trains as the "oh so beautiful" Jamaica Station.

Nah, Boston is fine.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:44 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’m pretty sure that’s all you need to be sports rivals. Celtics/Lakers is similar to Bruins/Habs, perhaps less significant than Sox/Yankees but definitely still a thing.

Would be nice if airport station were actually in the airport. I think I’m more on Geoff’s side for this one than not.
Celtics-Lakers hasn’t been a thing since Warry Bird, Wobert Pawish, Cedwick Maxwell, McHale, and Ainge. Pronounced with the Bob Cousy lisp. That was 1980s.

The Blue Line requires a bus to get to the T stop and is useless. It doesn’t go to either South or North stations and it doesn’t go anywhere useful. The Big Dig should have included a subway line that connected Logan, South Station, and North Station.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Celtics-Lakers hasn’t been a thing since Warry Bird, Wobert Pawish, Cedwick Maxwell, McHale, and Ainge. Pronounced with the Bob Cousy lisp. That was 1980s.
2008 and 2010?

Quote:
The Blue Line requires a bus to get to the T stop and is useless. It doesn’t go to either South or North stations and it doesn’t go anywhere useful. The Big Dig should have included a subway line that connected Logan, South Station, and North Station.
It has transfers to green and orange, and Aquarium, State, Gov Center, and Bowdoin are walkable to plenty downtown locations themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City