Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No, it's not livable without a car. LA had a subway in place but oil/car companies bought it out before it could open, what a shame.

Millions of people live here without a car!

Unless they're the undead, wandering the Earth because there's no more room in hell, your statement is false.

Now answer the question. Why is this region more dense than the city of Boston:

Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Millions of people live here without a car!

Unless they're the undead, wandering the Earth because there's no more room in hell, your statement is false.

Now answer the question. Why is this region more dense than the city of Boston:

Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Millions live in Charlotte without a car....... Doesn't mean it's convenient. I bet those are extremely long wait times and the coverage is not good in that hippie mecca. The system in Boston is amazing!

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Kinda hard to take your anecdotes seriously when you don't even know the difference between these two neighborhoods.
Pardon. I'm not from LA. Never heard of Westwood.

Quote:
Cabs scarce at the airport? BS. That's where they're most concentrated (LA, depending on the source, has the third most cabs in the U.S., after NYC and Chicago).
BS. Flew into LAX 3 weeks ago and waited almost an hour for a cab. At a cab stand. But I do believe that's where they're most concentrated. If I were on Sunset, I'd probably still be waiting for a cab.

Quote:
It's livable, not URBAN.
You just spent the last hour saying it wasn't liveable?

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
A) Areas like Westwood, WeHo, Pico-Robertson, Fairfax among many others have high density and are hardly working class. Even the flatlands of Beverly Hills, almost exclusively apartments, have crazy density levels. Then you have all those millionaires living in condos on the Wilshire Corridor. LA's got what Boston has too.
Interesting. Glad to hear that. Are there little "village" centers in these areas though? Places where everybody walks to/from? Or is it still car-dominated? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely interested.

Quote:
B) When you take into account, restaurants/theaters/concert venues/diversity/nightlife/shopping/museums, Los Angeles is far ahead of Boston. These are things that truly make a city a city, more than mass transit. Even uniquely tacky stuff like Hollywood Blvd and the SM pier stuff contributes in this regard. You don't see throngs of tourist hanging out in Chicago's suburbs, do you?
That has literally nothing to do with urbanity though. I agree that Los Angeles offers more in many areas (though I'm not so sure when it comes to museums...Boston has fantastic museums), but we're talking about urbanity, aren't we?

Quote:
C) The mass transit/walkability arguments would have some merit if Boston was at least as dense as LA at its city limits (48 sq miles). But it isn't.
Of course it has merit. You're just totally skirting the issue because it doesn't work in your favor. You're mentioning the advantages Los Angeles has over Boston like restaurants & shopping, but those come as a result of Los Angeles' massive borders. Just because this particularly category doesn't fall in your favor doesn't mean you can all of a sudden pretend it's not there. Boston and all of its surrounding cities are quite urban. Much moreso than Los Angeles. That's one of the advantages of having the smaller footprint.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM

84 posts, read 94,368 times
Is that meant as some kind of joke? L.A. has (perhaps) the #4 downtown after NYC, Chicago and Philadelphia... although I'd argue that San Francisco also beats L.A.

That video reminds me of a drive through South Florida, not a drive through a city.

Quote:
Unless you're from Manhattan, you're not going to find this kind of urbanity in any other city in the NE, don't kid yourself:

Driving down Wilshire Blvd - San Vicente to S Figueroa St. - YouTube

That's only a 6 mile sample. Enjoy.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
Is that meant as some kind of joke? L.A. has (perhaps) the #4 downtown after NYC, Chicago and Philadelphia... although I'd argue that San Francisco also beats L.A.

That video reminds me of a drive through South Florida, not a drive through a city.
Yea I'm not exactly sure what the point of that was...you can easily do something like that in Boston. Just drive through downtown and go down Boylston, Huntington, or Comm Ave.

I think Los Angeles is far more urban than some will give it credit for...but I think that video is a big miss.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Interesting. Glad to hear that. Are there little "village" centers in these areas though? Places where everybody walks to/from? Or is it still car-dominated? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely interested.

That has literally nothing to do with urbanity though. I agree that Los Angeles offers more in many areas (though I'm not so sure when it comes to museums...Boston has fantastic museums), but we're talking about urbanity, aren't we?

Of course it has merit. You're just totally skirting the issue because it doesn't work in your favor. You're mentioning the advantages Los Angeles has over Boston like restaurants & shopping, but those come as a result of Los Angeles' massive borders. Just because this particularly category doesn't fall in your favor doesn't mean you can all of a sudden pretend it's not there. Boston and all of its surrounding cities are quite urban. Much moreso than Los Angeles. That's one of the advantages of having the smaller footprint.
Not true at all. I'm very comfortable in stating that the connected stretch, from DTLA to Santa Monica, offers more than the city of Boston. Minus the hillside communities, it's about 80 sq. miles, and this is where vast majority of L.A.'s attractions lie. You're buying into the "L.A. is a big suburb, it's attractions are all spread out" myth here.

As for the second highlighted statement:

Los Angeles (Central, South, East, Southeast): 3 million people, 264.6 sq miles, 11,500 psm. Unless these burbs surrounding Boston are super dense, I'm not buying this at all.

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-17-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I don't have a dog in this fight. Honestly, I wouldn't want to LIVE in either. But i'm going to go with LA for the simple fact that the women there look FAR better than women in Boston.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Here is a FACT for you. Those cities are livable without a car, LA is not. How is that for a fact?
In my personal experience in both cities, I'd say they are about equally livable without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City