Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: favorite:
Milwaukee Art Museum 21 41.18%
Walt Disney Concert Hall 19 37.25%
The Guggenheim 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,928,256 times

Advertisements

Which of these awesome buildings is your favorite?

Milwaukee Art Museum (Milwaukee, WI):

Milwaukee Art Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Walt Disney Concert Hall (Los Angeles, CA):

Walt Disney Concert Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guggemheim (New York, NY):

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More pictures please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,277,130 times
Thumbs up Milwaukee Art Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Which of these awesome buildings is your favorite?

Milwaukee Art Museum (Milwaukee, WI):

Walt Disney Concert Hall (Los Angeles, CA):

Guggemheim (New York, NY):
All of these buildings are great but what is striking is that how much modern architecture often ignores the history, landscape and traditions of the existing city it is built in. IMHO, while both the Guggenheim and the Disney Concert Hall are great and interesting buildings --- neither of them say necessarily New York or LA to me.

The Milwaukee Art Museum however, pays attention to its site on Lake Michigan with a design that resembles the front of a ship or the wings of a bird. Very beautiful building.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,215,579 times
The One in L.A.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,082,699 times
Milwaukee Art Museum all day. As much as I'm a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright (he's from WI after all), the Guggenheim looks totally out of place with NYC as its backdrop, while the Disney Concert Hall is just a straight up eyesore IMO.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,066,861 times
Guggenheim all day and here's why:

1. Interior space of the Guggenheim is much much nicer than the other two and stands the test of time. Nearly 100 years later and its still a presence in the city and an unmatched space.

2. Exterior The Walt Disney Concert Hall is just not that attractive to me. The real breakthrough was in the engineering and technology used to create it - this is somewhat true for Milwaukee Art Museum as well. Milwaukee and all Santiago Calatrava's works are fantastic but are bridge like in nature and it really doesn't incorporate the ground any more than the others. There is no green space in these buildings. Guggenheim NY and Milwaukee Art Museum would tie in this category.

Overall that leaves me with the winner being the Guggenheim NY because the interior of the Milwaukee Art Museum is a bit lacking in functionality. Form did not follow function in Milwaukee or really Los Angeles either. The form was dictated to put the building on the map and then sorta make the interior as best they could.

On a side note I think the poll itself should specify Guggenheim NY because there are many Guggenheim Musems. I've personally been to two of them.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Guggenheim all day and here's why:

1. Interior space of the Guggenheim is much much nicer than the other two and stands the test of time. Nearly 100 years later and its still a presence in the city and an unmatched space.

2. Exterior The Walt Disney Concert Hall is just not that attractive to me. The real breakthrough was in the engineering and technology used to create it - this is somewhat true for Milwaukee Art Museum as well. Milwaukee and all Santiago Calatrava's works are fantastic but are bridge like in nature and it really doesn't incorporate the ground any more than the others. There is no green space in these buildings. Guggenheim NY and Milwaukee Art Museum would tie in this category.

Overall that leaves me with the winner being the Guggenheim NY because the interior of the Milwaukee Art Museum is a bit lacking in functionality. Form did not follow function in Milwaukee or really Los Angeles either. The form was dictated to put the building on the map and then sorta make the interior as best they could.

On a side note I think the poll itself should specify Guggenheim NY because there are many Guggenheim Musems. I've personally been to two of them.
Have you ever even been to the Milwaukee Art Museum, because I'm guessing you haven't? How exactly is it lacking in functionality? Calatrava's addition is called the Quadracci Pavilion, and performs the function of a pavilion. People can rent it out for special events like weddings and corporate parties. It's also a pedestrian bridge connecting Downtown Milwaukee to the Lakefront, it performs the very functions it was designed to.

Pink clouds on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnyfixedgear/3980043312/ - broken link)

Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM

It just doesn't compare on the interior to the Guggenheim in my opinion... at all. And you just posted yet another exterior shot. Show some of those interior shots something with artwork and how its displayed inside.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Here's some interiors of the Guggenheim NY to compare
http://www.studiolo.org/pix/Gallery/...-56_ab-pix.jpg
http://deitchman.com/mcneillslides/i...iminterior.jpg
http://www.globalgraphica.com/main/a...imnyc_w498.jpg

and one exterior:
http://gallery.egyptsons.com/data/me...New%20York.jpg

Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,478,041 times
Ugh, I can't vote because I think the Milwaukee Art Museum & Guggenheim are equally beautiful.

I'm not a huge fan of the Concert Hall.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
It just doesn't compare on the interior to the Guggenheim in my opinion... at all. And you just posted yet another exterior shot. Show some of those interior shots something with artwork and how its displayed inside.

I just finished explaining that the pavilion primarily serves as a pedestrian bridge and event hall. The only permanent piece on display is a large, colorful blown glass structure in the lobby near the main entrance. It was never intended to be solely used as exhibition space.

Milwaukee Art Museum on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagogeek/4480919858/ - broken link)

blown glass on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/starvega/3544266106/ - broken link)

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 06-10-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City