Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best overall architecture can be found here
Detroit 63 59.43%
Atlanta 43 40.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

This thread is about which of these two cities have the best architecture. This is not about which city is better or worse. This is simply about which one you feel has the best architecture overall.

Feel free to include pictures and such to support your point.

I feel Detroit architecture goes WAY under-appreciated and I have been there just about a week ago, what I saw there, was simply fantastic architecture.
I haven't been to Atlanta in over 11 years (when I was 10) so I can't say anything about their architecture based off memory, but I have seen pictures and thus decided to make this thread to see how well both stack up against each other.

To everyone: Please don't be yourself for once and hate on Detroit, if you look at pictures- you'll see a beautiful city full of amazing architecture. Please don't bring your hatred for it here, the fact I have to leave this reminder is saying a lot about how Detroit gets treated here on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Ugh

I always liked that circular building in Detroit, but overall I like the Atlanta skyscrapers a bit better

I honestly have only been downtown in Detroit once and years ago

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Detroit has some of the nation's best. It truly is a city with great architecture. More interest has to be taken in Detroit because it can be a beautiful city

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Detroit has some of the nation's best. It truly is a city with great architecture. More interest has to be taken in Detroit because it can be a beautiful city

I think we need some pictures. i did watch a frontline on Detroit and they showed some places now abandoned that were still gorgeous even in their current state if you could see past the rubble, the detail in the buildings seemed very impressive

I would love to see Detroit come back, maybe something magical will happen

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Detroit by a long shot. It has many more older buildings which I like much better than newer buildings of Atlanta. Too band much of Atlanta was destroyed otherwise it may have more of an older stock of architecture.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
So who wants to make a city data pact to all move to detroit within the next five years and raise it back up? Any takers?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Detroit by a long shot. It has many more older buildings which I like much better than newer buildings of Atlanta. Too band much of Atlanta was destroyed otherwise it may have more of an older stock of architecture.
When did the buildings in Atlanta get destroyed???

I've only heard of the Civil War, but back then it was a town of around 10,000-12,000 people and most buildings were just wood/very small and would have been long replaced by now anyway.

Did something else happen? Urban renewal?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So who wants to make a city data pact to all move to detroit within the next five years and raise it back up? Any takers?

How about ten, i will just move for a few days right around the census

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does a secondary home count?

Trust me, living in Austin everyday during school- all I've got is Chicago and even Houston on my mind. There's nothing wrong with Austin, I just love my cities of origination more- probably never can part from them!

But I'm down for your idea- as long as I'm not the only one doing it.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
When did the buildings in Atlanta get destroyed???

I've only heard of the Civil War, but back then it was a town of around 10,000-12,000 people and most buildings were just wood/very small and would have been long replaced by now anyway.

Did something else happen? Urban renewal?
I've been told by people who live there that many buildings were destroyed in urban renewal. I recall a post on here where somebody had a bunch of pictures of great buildings in Atlanta that were knocked down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City