Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What ho! Could Madisonville be next?
I certainly hope Madisonville turns around. I have quite a bit of family there. Fairfax is another area with potential. I have a friend that is betting with his wallet bigtime that Fairfax will see a resurgence. Ironically he got much of his cash buying and selling Oakley real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:58 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
Quote:
Hyde Park, NR. All the aspiring yuppies that were priced out of Hyde Park came clamoring toward next-best-thing Oakley, and now they're pricing themselves out there as well.

What ho! Could Madisonville be next?

Don't be absurd. Did anyone mention Mason in this thread ... besides you?
I guess that is one way to do it. Completely disregard any of the justifiable reasons to move to Oakley and provide something of complete nonsense.

We looked at homes in Hyde Park, Oakley, and Mt. Lookout and found a home in Hyde Park with more room for less. But hey, that doesn't fit your stereotype of those who live here, does it?

So, let me get this straight, someone says something about the burbs and that is out of line but it is okay to dump on a nice community like Madisonville?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I guess that is one way to do it. Completely disregard any of the justifiable reasons to move to Oakley and provide something of complete nonsense.
Never said Oakley wasn't a nice place to live; I have a lot of friends who live there. But to dismiss the fact that people "discovered" Oakley because it was next to Hyde Park? I don't think so.

Quote:
So, let me get this straight, someone says something about the burbs and that is out of line but it is okay to dump on a nice community like Madisonville?
Who's dumping on Madisonville? I'm dumping on the people who dump on Madisonville. I lived there for quite a few years ...

Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Never said Oakley wasn't a nice place to live; I have a lot of friends who live there. But to dismiss the fact that people "discovered" Oakley because it was next to Hyde Park? I don't think so.

Who's dumping on Madisonville? I'm dumping on the people who dump on Madisonville. I lived there for quite a few years ...
Any in this thread is squarely directed toward you. Care to address kjbrill's post No. 9?

And why is it OK for you to "dump on the people who dump on Madisonville" but when I defend Pleasant Ridge against an ignorant suburban attack calling it a "slum," I'm being absurd? Yea, seems fair.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Folks, please calm down and focus on the topic, not each other. Thanks.
Yac.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I certainly hope Madisonville turns around.
There's always been plenty of potential in Madisonville; alas, it's one of those neighborhoods that has been criminally neglected by city council.

Quote:
Fairfax is another area with potential.
Fairfax is interesting; it's as solidly working-class as you can get and benefits from being in the Mariemont school district (although from what I've heard, the Fairfax kids pay dearly for the privilege). I've always picked up a bit of a good-old-boy vibe in Fairfax, although perhaps that will fade over time.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
There's always been plenty of potential in Madisonville; alas, it's one of those neighborhoods that has been criminally neglected by city council...
Harsh and extreme words, Og81... "Criminally neglected" Madisonville certainly isn't--talk about a former working blue-collar neighborhood that descended into a non-working welfare squatter's camp, this one is it. City council was hardly solely to blame for the ghetto much of this community is today.
Quote:
Fairfax is interesting; it's as solidly working-class as you can get and benefits from being in the Mariemont school district (although from what I've heard, the Fairfax kids pay dearly for the privilege). I've always picked up a bit of a good-old-boy vibe in Fairfax, although perhaps that will fade over time.
Yes, hope still exists for revitalization of portions of both Madisonville and Fairfax, but this thread isn't about them and shouldn't diverted to them. What are your feelings about Oakley?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
i think madisonville is great just how it is! pretty safe, pretty cheap, and very close to a lot of things. why do we want that to change?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i think madisonville is great just how it is! pretty safe, pretty cheap, and very close to a lot of things. why do we want that to change?
Good point ... And I know the people that live there are working hard to make it safer. But there's a ways to go.

But it would be nice if there was more going on in the business district. The community council was working on rehabbing the Madison Building at Whetsel and Madison, and had a pledge of funding from the city, but then the city reneged on the funding. Now the building is gone.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Yes, read it again ... particularly kjbrill's post No. 9, where he said a nice restaurant in Oakley would be little more than a Goodwill store in Mason.

Next ...
I never said it was a nice restaurant. I said they had one redeeming item on the menu, charcoal grilled chicken wings. But the decor is strictly cheap, cheap, cheap, beginning with the tables and rickety chairs which look like they came out of a thrift shop, all scratched up and multiple finishes. One of those places renovation hasn't gotten to yet. I know the owner and he is not about to upgrade it long as people still come and he can milk it.

Reminds me of the Pour House which used to be in the same vicinity years ago. It didn't last too long.

I remember frequently going to both the Ambassador amd 20th Century theatres in Oakley to view movies along with the Monte Vista in Pleasant Ridge. Algamesis was always on the agenda for a sundae. They were nice places but I saw little else to get excited about.

One place I would like to mention is R.P. McMurphy's. I don't know the name, but it's location on Wasson Rd. sounds strangely familiar to a bar we used to go to when I worked at the corner of Madison & Edwards Rds. We went there because they had some of the best doubledeckers in town, were fast service, and had low beer prices. Its decor was also early aboriginal, but the food and service made up for it. It was strictly a working stiffs bar, with the guys from LeBlond and Cincinnati Mill descending on it.

So pardon my intrusion into the wonderful world of urban living and inquiring what is the big attraction in Oakley. Back when I knew it was low cost housing close to many factory jobs. I don't think those people ever thought about the closeness to all of the historical amenities of Cincinnati. It was simply a place they could afford which was close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati