Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:36 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
In one sentence:
It shares many amenities with Hyde Park and the crowd that can afford to live in Oakley is more fun than the crowd that can afford to live in Hyde Park.
I love that term amenities, about as non-commited as you can get. Look up the definition, anything which is pleasant. What is pleasant to you may be not to me. I guess if we claim to have amenities we have amenities. So are you saying Oakley with its many small band-box houses is desirable because Hyde Park is so expensive?

I know where you live, Amberley Village, is a very attractive place. But frankly there are many houses in PLeasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights which make Oakley look like a slum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I love that term amenities, about as non-commited as you can get. Look up the definition, anything which is pleasant. What is pleasant to you may be not to me. I guess if we claim to have amenities we have amenities. So are you saying Oakley with its many small band-box houses is desirable because Hyde Park is so expensive?

I know where you live, Amberley Village, is a very attractive place. But frankly there are many houses in PLeasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights which make Oakley look like a slum.
This is awful. Absolutely awful. And blatantly untrue.

Give me a small band-box house with character in Oakley than one of your cheaply built, dull, 14-roomed McMansion disasters surrounded by stick trees in Mason, any damned day.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This is awful. Absolutely awful, and untrue.

Give me a small band-box house with character in Oakley than one of your cheaply built, dull, 14-roomed McMansion disasters surrounded by stick trees in Mason, any damned day.
That is your opinion, and frankly those who keep buying the stick trees in Mason disagree. Everything I am aware of in Oakley was cheaply built. They may have done a little bit better job overall, but was it high-level construction - no damn way it was the bang it out subdivision building of its day. So please spare me the contrasts which really do not exist.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:

You are right that it is not the housing stock that makes Oakley attractive. It is the convenient location for interstate access, shopping, bars, compact walkability, grocery stores etc. All of these things make it a good place to live for twentysomethings and young families, hence the 'more fun than Hyde Park' .

I lived on Glenhurst for over a year, and for recreation and day to day shopping I didn't really have to drive and when I did it was less than five minutes. At the same time, the streets are clean and quiet, the neighbors are educated and friendly, and urban blight is nowhere to be found. It is like Hyde Park without the mansions and price tag or, if you prefer, northside without the urban edge.

I loved Oakley, but we didn't buy a house there mainly because we didn't like the value for potential resale in the current inflated market. You are right about the few beautiful streets in Kennedy Heights and P. Ridge (My old home street Davenant and Grand Vista and Orchard in P. Ridge come to mind) but there is far less to do in either neighborhood for a young professional than Oakley. Again, it comes down to excitement. There is simply more things that interest a certain brand of young professional in Oakley than in most other neighborhoods. I believe this is due to a healthy mix of owners and renters, high and low end commercial, and of course proximity to Hyde Park.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You are right that it is not the housing stock that makes Oakley attractive. It is the convenient location for interstate access, shopping, bars, compact walkability, grocery stores etc. All of these things make it a good place to live for twentysomethings and young families, hence the 'more fun than Hyde Park' .

I lived on Glenhurst for over a year, and for recreation and day to day shopping I didn't really have to drive and when I did it was less than five minutes. At the same time, the streets are clean and quiet, the neighbors are educated and friendly, and urban blight is nowhere to be found. It is like Hyde Park without the mansions and price tag or, if you prefer, northside without the urban edge.

I loved Oakley, but we didn't buy a house there mainly because we didn't like the value for potential resale in the current inflated market. You are right about the few beautiful streets in Kennedy Heights and P. Ridge (My old home street Davenant and Grand Vista and Orchard in P. Ridge come to mind) but there is far less to do in either neighborhood for a young professional than Oakley. Again, it comes down to excitement. There is simply more things that interest a certain brand of young professional in Oakley than in most other neighborhoods. I believe this is due to a healthy mix of owners and renters, high and low end commercial, and of course proximity to Hyde Park.
Hey, at least you have evaluated the property correctly. Young professionals and young familes are attracted to Oakley, why? - for affordability. Does that mean they will stay there forever - NO! Once they have kids they will start to doubt their location? Why? because they want the best for their kids. I do not have to suggest they move, they will decide that on their own.

It happens over and over, the families move to the siburbs for schools. If you think there is any other reason they will move out here, endure the commutes and all the rest to deal with their jobs and kids, you must have your heads in the sand. Schools, Schools, that is where it is all at. It is the largest simple reason why people more to the suburbs. If you deny that you are denying a lot.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hey, at least you have evaluated the property correctly. Young professionals and young familes are attracted to Oakley, why? - for affordability. Does that mean they will stay there forever - NO! Once they have kids they will start to doubt their location? Why? because they want the best for their kids. I do not have to suggest they move, they will decide that on their own.

It happens over and over, the families move to the siburbs for schools. If you think there is any other reason they will move out here, endure the commutes and all the rest to deal with their jobs and kids, you must have your heads in the sand. Schools, Schools, that is where it is all at. It is the largest simple reason why people more to the suburbs. If you deny that you are denying a lot.
Do you honestly think the only reason young people choose Oakley is because of its so-called affordability? It couldn't have anything to do with its proximity to the premiere destinations in this metro (downtown, OTR, Mount Adams, Mount Lookout, Hyde Park, even Kenwood and Oakley itself), could it?

So you're suggesting that, if everything else was equal including cost, young professionals would actually prefer to live in Mason and West Chester as opposed to the city? Do you really think that everyone's dream is to live on a cul-de-sac with three cars and a third refrigerator in the garage?

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-18-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think the only reason young people choose Oakley is because of its so-called affordability? It couldn't have anything to do with its proximity to the premiere destinations in this metro (downtown, OTR, Mount Adams, Mount Lookout, Hyde Park, even Kenwood and Oakley itself), could it?
I think affordability is one factor but in that sense you can find affordable houses in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. I agree with the fact that it is a central location to all of what you have mentioned but I think Oakley has a lot to do with it to. Have you seen Oakley Square lately? Great restaurants, bars, and coffee/tea shops. Oakley Square kicks butt on Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout Square. Hyde Park Square has a bunch of boutiques that are barely open past 6:00. Oakley Square has newer and cleaner looking bars than Mt. Lookout Square and there are activities around the square like Oakley After Hours. Heck, even Habits has been cleaned up and is a lot nicer than it was 10 years ago.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I think affordability is one factor but in that sense you can find affordable houses in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. I agree with the fact that it is a central location to all of what you have mentioned but I think Oakley has a lot to do with it to. Have you seen Oakley Square lately? Great restaurants, bars, and coffee/tea shops. Oakley Square kicks butt on Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout Square. Hyde Park Square has a bunch of boutiques that are barely open past 6:00. Oakley Square has newer and cleaner looking bars than Mt. Lookout Square and there are activities around the square like Oakley After Hours. Heck, even Habits has been cleaned up and is a lot nicer than it was 10 years ago.
Exactly right. Oakley is a great neighborhood. I love Oakley Square, particularly Habits.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
So what has happened? I know most of the blue-collar jobs have disappeared. So what has happened to make Oakley desirable?
Hyde Park, NR. All the aspiring yuppies that were priced out of Hyde Park came clamoring toward next-best-thing Oakley, and now they're pricing themselves out there as well.

What ho! Could Madisonville be next?

Quote:
Don't be absurd. Did anyone mention Mason in this thread ... besides you?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't be absurd. Did anyone mention Mason in this thread ... besides you?
Yes, read it again ... particularly kjbrill's post No. 9, where he said a nice restaurant in Oakley would be little more than a Goodwill store in Mason.

Next ...

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-18-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati