Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM

50 posts, read 178,641 times

Advertisements

I live in Oakley and I can't help but notice that recently there seems to be a fair amount of houses going up for sale. It seems like the 'For Sale' and 'For Rent' signs seem to be sprouting up like weeds. Two rental houses that I know of had minorities move into them. I know this may sound extreme but is Oakley experiencing early stages of white flight? It seems whites are constantly fleeing to the suburbs (not just here, but throughout the entire city), while houses remain on the market for up to a year or more. One of my buddies who lived near me just moved out to Mason, and I have another who lived in Hyde Park and moved to West Chester. I'm not aware of the patterns in demographic shifts in Cincinnati, so I'm just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
It's not so much demographic shifts as it is fear of crime. Every spring in the city, the bullets start popping out at the same time the crocuses start popping up. Despite the shootings' occurring in the "usual" parts of town and between the "usual" suspects and victims, the media have a field day with shrieking headlines about HOMICIDES IN CINCINNATI. For the past half-century nearly all of these incidents have occurred in the West End, Avondale, Over-the-Rhine, Walnut Hills, around the public-housing clusters, and - more recently - in/near the aging apartment complexes which were converted to Section 8 for lack of tenants willing to pay the going rate. But try telling that to the young couple aged thirtyish who grew up in suburbia and overrode parental objections to buy a house or rent an apartment within the city limits. TV, the papers, and the radio are sending the message that the city is dangerous - then they hear it all over again from everybody who called them foolish for not staying in Warren County.
Then there's also "six-itis." The symptoms of this condition are parents who were determined to "make it work" as urban pioneers, purchased - and often made over - living quarters, settled in contentedly...then had a baby. Everything was still copacetic right up until little Emma or Zachary started kindergarten. But then reality hit: "OMG. We don't have the money for private education, and no child of mine is going to a Cincinnati Public School - ewwwwwwww. Bye bye Oakley [College Hill, Mt Lookout, Clifton, Westwood, etc etc.]!"
Any significant demographic change occurring in Cincinnati today is along economic lines for the most part (ongoing gentrification in East Walnut Hills and OTR, mainly.) The days of sudden and radical ethnic turnover are past, but over the past 25 years "minority" populations have markedly increased in the crescent of communities extending from Price Hill all the way up to Hartwell. None of this is going on east of I-75, however, with Pleasant Ridge being an exception. And anyone who thinks "panic selling" is occurring wasn't around during the blockbusting along Reading Rd.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

25 posts, read 96,504 times
Oakly homes are from 100,000-700,000

Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM

269 posts, read 778,868 times
I don't think it has to do with race. It just happens that people are moving out at the same time and with the current housing market, it's kind of tough to fill those vacancies right now.

My impression of Oakely is that it is a staging area for suburbanites who want to take a stab at being "urban" for a little while before moving back to suburbia. I lived in Oakley for about a year, and it seemed like at least 75% of the people I met were from suburbia or some small town from various parts of the country.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Then there's also "six-itis." The symptoms of this condition are parents who were determined to "make it work" as urban pioneers, purchased - and often made over - living quarters, settled in contentedly...then had a baby. Everything was still copacetic right up until little Emma or Zachary started kindergarten. But then reality hit: "OMG. We don't have the money for private education, and no child of mine is going to a Cincinnati Public School - ewwwwwwww.
And would you send YOUR children to Cincinnati Public Schools if you had no control as to what school that child would be assigned?

The CPS teachers that I knew were sending their children to parochial schools.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 AM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
I grew up in Oakley (parents still live there and have for almost 3 decades) and also went through CPS. It sucks that people don't want to send their kids through CPS. When will it ever get better if current residents think they suck and then of course incoming people will hear that and think they suck too? Don't get me wrong, I know it's not perfect. I'm just saying, there are lots of great teachers and if the parents are great too, those ingredients add up to a kid getting a good education. It really seems that simple. Plus, you have the added benefit of growing up around real people in the real world and not a bunch of rich spoiled ****ters. F that. I like the fact that I was around all races my entire time going through school, I just think it makes you more rounded. Plus, Walnut Hills HS is baller as hell and I doubt any private HS in these parts can really make a claim to being better. Oh but wait, it's part of CPS, it must suck right?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 178,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
I grew up in Oakley (parents still live there and have for almost 3 decades) and also went through CPS. It sucks that people don't want to send their kids through CPS. When will it ever get better if current residents think they suck and then of course incoming people will hear that and think they suck too? Don't get me wrong, I know it's not perfect. I'm just saying, there are lots of great teachers and if the parents are great too, those ingredients add up to a kid getting a good education. It really seems that simple. Plus, you have the added benefit of growing up around real people in the real world and not a bunch of rich spoiled ****ters. F that. I like the fact that I was around all races my entire time going through school, I just think it makes you more rounded. Plus, Walnut Hills HS is baller as hell and I doubt any private HS in these parts can really make a claim to being better. Oh but wait, it's part of CPS, it must suck right?
Baller as hell...Lol. But yeah, I've heard great things about Walnut Hills HS from people at my job.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

230 posts, read 626,407 times
Baller as hell ??

LMFAO !!! That's just comical no matter how you look at it.
Thanks, that was funny !!!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
Okay my bad, Walnut Hills HS is an amazing school in which pupils can achieve an excellent education preparing them for a successful future at a 4 year college.

That = Walnut Hills HS is baller as hell.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
I just did some quick stat checking ... and none of the points brought up are sound as the perceptions are just that.

I did some bookmarking from some of the websites, but you City-Data members are going to have to learn to look things up on your own. It's not very hard and once you find sound sound resources, save them so you can go back and use them over and over.

Oakley is doing better than some of the outer suburbs, btw. If someone of color wants to move in, this is a good thing... don't be scared. As matter of fact, when the Gen X'ers/Y'ers buy houses, this is what attracts them. A neighborhood with diversity.

Tidbit of the day: Oakley is a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati