Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 40,722 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Oakley now for around two years and absolutely love it. We live in an arts-and-crafts era bungalow (1920's) that has so much character and history. Add on to this that Oakley's property values keep rising during the housing crisis and that for-sale homes don't seem to last all too long without getting sold.

I've Google'd Oakley history and have found out that Milacron used to be in Oakley and that Oakley used to be an apple orchard and have a horse track (not too sure about that one).

I'd like to find historical information regarding Oakley as well as my house and previous owners. Does anyone have good points of references to start with?

Thanks a ton in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
You could spend weeks in the downtown library! They (and City Hall) would have all sorts of old city directories so that you could trace past owners of your house. Visit the courthouse if you'd be interested in viewing former deeds, titles, etc - they'd all be stored there. Also check out the Cincinnati Historical Society.

When you shop at "Tarjay" or one of the other big-box stores at Center of Cincinnati, you're communing with the spirits of Cincinnati Milacron workers. That retail area is where the plant used to be. And every time you buy candy or ice cream at Aglamesis Brothers, a tradition going back nearly a century is carried on.

I have no plans to return to Cincy permanently, but if fate decrees it I'd have Oakley on my list as a neighborhood to house-hunt in. Those bungalows like the one you have are the greatest, sitting there resembling funky little 1.5-story cottages on the outside only to reveal unbelievable space over as many as nine rooms once you've walked in. You never know, I might be a potential buyer minus realtor commissions! For a long time, people used to ridicule Oakley as "Hyde Park, near" - I'm loving how it's come into its own.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGuy View Post
Add on to this that Oakley's property values keep rising during the housing crisis and that for-sale homes don't seem to last all too long without getting sold.
I lived on Brotherton Road. My car was stolen and wrecked on Bramble. That ain't why I moved, I moved because illegals were moving into all the apartments on Brotherton, including the building I lived in.

Property values might be rising now, but they'll be dropping soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGuy View Post
I'd like to find historical information regarding Oakley as well as my house and previous owners. Does anyone have good points of references to start with?
I think there's a library right there on Montgomery Road, and Bigg's has some nice giant photos of Hyde Park/Oakley in their store.

The Hamilton County Auditor's website should give you info on the property, including previous sale prices, and whether or not the land was ever sub-divided.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:44 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I lived on Brotherton Road. My car was stolen and wrecked on Bramble. That ain't why I moved, I moved because illegals were moving into all the apartments on Brotherton, including the building I lived in.

Property values might be rising now, but they'll be dropping soon enough.
As a Realtor that works in the Oakley area a lot ... this won't happen. The area is extremely stable and at worst will stabilize -not drop.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,689 times
I lived in Oakley for 20 years and remeber the Cincinnati Milling & Ginding Machines (Milacron. Where the big box stores are was the recreation area for the Milacron employees. Oakley once had a horse race track it was located in the area of Minoit Ave and Robertson Rd. When I was a kid you could do all your shopping right in Oakley.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:33 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
So what's the abandoned(?) factory-sized building behind the "Tarjay" and Meijer stores? One of the Meijer managers told me that the guy who owns Jungle Jim's wanted to put a store in that building but won't do it unless he could be freed from environmental liability and that the Norwood Lateral/Ridge Avenue/I-71 mess got fixed. Anyone else know anything about that?

Old 09-19-2009, 10:03 AM

60 posts, read 166,036 times
Here's the Milacron plant:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1

Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
The comment about Oakley property values dropping couldnt be further from the truth. Hyde Park already blew up and Oakley has in spots and the rest of it will soon follow. My parents own a home in Oakley and the value has been on the rise steadily for the past 3 decades.

G Man

Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,091 times
My Grandfather owned a bakery in Oakley on Madison Rd near Taylor ave. I believe it is a fifth third bank now.The name of the bakery was Bruestles. I love to know if anyone remembers it or has any information about it.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
At one time, Cincinnati Milling Machine, before they got class conscious and renamed it Milacron, was the largest machine tool company in the world! Of course they had other holdings, with plants in England and Europe. The name Cincinnati stood for the epitome in machine tools world wide.

I worked for a smaller company, not really a competititor, by the name of LeBlond at the intersection of Edwards and Madison Rds, no slouch in its own right. The Rookwood Commons now occupies that property.

Cincinnati Milling Machine built what its name implies - milling machines. In later years these were changed into machining centers once CNC came along.

LeBlond built what were called Engine lathes. Never could figure out where the term engine came from. For years they advertised themselves as the world largest builder of a complete line of lathes. I will say it was complete. They built small what were called tool and die lathes to huge lathes used by steel mills to turn rolls. During the space race, I remember us building one huge lathe in a tent in the parking lot which was destined to turn the entire integrated body of a liquid fuel rocket.

They also had a specialty line of machines which turned automotive crankshafts for virtually every car builder in the world. I remember walking through the plant and seeing the names of the world's elite painted on the side of the machines. One of the most amusing points of my career was going through our plant and seeing this huge machine set up to produce a Briggs & Stratton crank.

The vast majority of the residents in Oakley will neither know, nor frankly care, that at one time this was the center of the machine tool capital of the free world.

Oh, BTW, in that era the workers earned wages which is what gave meaning to the term American Middle Class. Guarantee you the employees at Target are nowhere near there on the relative economic scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati