Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times

Advertisements

I would say do a word search on the word "chose" or "chosen" and read how many of them sinful humans are credited for choosing or how many that its God who does the choosing.

P.S. I'll give you a hint.........

Humans? .....nope

Deuteronomy 7:6 and Deuteronomy 14:2

For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

Matthew 22:14
"For many are invited, but few are chosen."

Mark 13:20
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.

John 15:19
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

Romans 8:33
Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies

oh oh .... some predestination passages

Ephesians 1:11
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

1 Peter 1:1-2
To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

........and there are others. But If these arn't enough, more wouldn't convince either.

The Bible teaches God gets the credit for chosing, humans gets the blame for rejecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times
Amen, twin.

For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (Isa 48:11)

Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im going to make this my last Post , Paul. Please dont take this the wrong way, but, Im going to respectfully ask you to consider getting into a healthy well balanced Evangelical Church
This is what is known as an "oxymoron" in reality land.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,398,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Think about what your saying for a moment. If God's Spirit is NOT in an unrepentant person (which I would agree) then that ONLY leaves that person with their carnal nature which the Bible says HATES God. So now if the man is still in their HATING of God state then obviously the man isn't going to choose God of his OWN will.

Paul
Scripture calls babes in Christ carnal so your saying that babes in Christ do not have the Holy Spirit

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
What do you mean by responding to the clay?

Paul
In defence of the cross: The Potter and His Clay

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,038,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Scripture calls babes in Christ carnal so your saying that babes in Christ do not have the Holy Spirit
I believe that the Holy Spirit is what destroys the Carnal nature.

Paul

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,038,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Pneuma, I believe that God is the one that manages the steps of mankind.

Paul

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
All I can do at this point is return to my analogy. You say it's not a choice but it is. You say the child will explore... and I agree... but it is still a choice. Why is it a choice? Because what determines whether the child explores or not at any given momemt is the child's will. The only thing controlling the child's body is his own mind. It matters not that nature or God determined that the child would be curious and explore.

Bob Your analogy and you conclusion are at odds with each other, you say the child can choose what he will do, yet you maintain that the child could not choose to be obedient but had to chose death.

You can’t have it both ways brother either the child had the choice and could choose life or death or he did not.You cannot say the child had the choice of life or death but could not choose life.

Quote:
According to your line of reasoning, if the child absolutely will explore then he ceases making choices, even though his mind and will are moment by moment the only thing making the decision to expore or not. Suppose we apply that to God: God never chooses to do anything righteous, since God can do no other.

That has nothing to do with my reasoning.

Quote:
You are mixing "we" in with unregenerate mankind. I'm not saying "we" are not strong enough. I'm saying that the natural man + free will + commandments (e.g. Adam) alone is not strong enough.

Bob Adam was not unregenerated, he was a SON OF GOD, and he was not alone for the WORD walked daily with him, the same as He does with us.

Therefore, Adam like us could have resisted the devil and he would have been turned to flight.

Adam had a choice brother and it was a real choice between being obedient or to disobey.

Quote:
Because natural man can't receive that law.

Were all natural men Bob, so by your understanding of that scripture no man can receive the Spirit of God.

Quote:
That was the commandment I was referring to. He was not strong enough to do that... yet.

Yes Adam was strong enough, he was a SON OF GOD, and the WORD walked daily with him.

Quote:
That's referring to whomever God has circumsized, not everyone, not natural man, not Adam.

Do sons of God have the law written in their hearts?

Adam was a SON OF GOD, he was indeed circumcised.

Quote:
Verse 17 is back in the present. Verse 1-10 are looking into the future but starting verse 11 is back in th present. "...For this commandment which I command thee this day..." 15 "See, I have set before thee this day life and good" and 16 "In that I command thee this day..."

By that reading Bob you break up the flow of the scriptures as verse 3 also says this day.

Quote:
I didn't say obedience is written... I said the law being written causes obedience.

Again not according to Deu.30:17

Are not Gods laws written in our hearts? Are you always obedient?

Quote:
Quote:
If God is the one who changes, our minds than there is no need for us to repent (change our minds).

There's no if about it.
  • Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
  • Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
And that is the cause of obedience...
  • Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
None of that means that we do not choose to repent or make a new heart.
  • Ezekiel 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
These things are either/or. Either we do it or God does it. If God does it we don't do it. If we do it, God doesn't do it.

I don’t deny God puts His Spirit in us Bob or that it is His Spirit that works within us to will after His will. What I disagree with is that it is God doing the willing for us.

Quote:
I believe Adam did choose between life and death.

While you say that brother, but you also say Adam could not choose, life even if he wanted to which is contrary to the above statement.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I disagree, I believe that man cannot veto God's Power.

Ultimately no mans will cannot veto God power, for His will will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. But that is not the case right now for it is not Gods will that any should perish yet people are perishing all the time.

Jesus also state this

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
REPLY: Paul, May I ask what Church you belong ? Im curious. Thanks.
Jesus and the Apostles made it quite clear that a literal Hell was created for Satan, his Demons, and all unrepentent to spend eternity in an environment of punishment and suffering. Their teachings were not metaphorical . It is a real Place which was necessary because of Gods extreme holiness and justice . Jesus destroyed the power of Sin at the Cross, and it remnants are forever banned far away from the presence of God as possible , for eternity. Yes, sin does get a permanent home which is what the above mentioned subjects desired and it is something which God simply grants them. If there is no biblical Hell, then God is not infinitely Just.
RV no scripture calls the lake of fire hell.

As a matter of fact scripture tells us hell is cast into the lake of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity