Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,108,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Interesting response. Never heard that before.

Paul
I try to be interesting to read....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,402,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Tossing a man into the sea is not really helping the thirsty in their need for a sip...
good one, I'll make my post smaller, but there will just be more of them, oh how will some be able to stand it

Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,108,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
oh how will some be able to stand it
Im sure with the good humor that always attends mine.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,905,112 times
Quote:
I don’t believe God can do anything contrary to His nature and Evil is not in His nature.
I don't believe God can do anything contrary to his nature either. But that's not what I asked. I asked if you believe that God can make a choice between good and evil.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
I don't believe God can do anything contrary to his nature either. But that's not what I asked. I asked if you believe that God can make a choice between good and evil.
depends on the way you mean it?

Can God make a choice to do evil if He wanted to

or

Can God make a choice between good and evil as in seperating the tares from the wheat.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
depends on the way you mean it?

Can God make a choice to do evil if He wanted to

or

Can God make a choice between good and evil as in seperating the tares from the wheat.
Neither. We know God will never want to do evil and I'm not talking about distinguishing between good and evil.

I'm asking about your definition of choosing. If someone offered God two options.
Option (a) is some evil act (like bowing to the devil)
Option (b) is some righteous act

So God agrees with and does (b).

My question is did God make a choice.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Neither. We know God will never want to do evil and I'm not talking about distinguishing between good and evil.

I'm asking about your definition of choosing. If someone offered God two options.
Option (a) is some evil act (like bowing to the devil)
Option (b) is some righteous act

So God agrees with and does (b).

My question is did God make a choice.
The question is faulty because God is not given such a choice, He can only do what is in His nature to do, thus He does rightiouness.

It is not a choice it is His nature.

God never said I put before me life and death He said he put it before us the choice of life and death.

And it is a real choice brother, the same choice Adam had.

God did not just put before Adam death and tell Adam to choose death or not choose death, God also put before Adam life.

And that is the choice everyone of us has.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
The question is faulty because God is not given such a choice, He can only do what is in His nature to do, thus He does rightiouness.
People have made requests of God. Does God make a choice to grant or deny those requests? Or does God not have the ability to make choices?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,179 times
Folks,

Read the Book of Job. Trying to decipher whether God makes choices or not is not our calling as Priests and Kings, for we are those only for His kingdom, and He is Lord and God, and it is His message that we must proclaim.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
As I have tried to explain before, that scripture does not say what you think it says, the predestination is not talking about what those men did, but talking about Christ.
I don't think the verb conjugation supports that theory.

If the "for to do" referred to
- God, the verb would be 2nd person singular (since the passage is addressing God)
- Christ, the verb would be 3rd person singular
- God and Christ, the verb would be 2nd person plural
- Herod, etc. if would be 3rd person plural.

I don't have e-sword and don't know if it even has that info. But it appears to be 3rd person plural (i.e. they) based on the fact that the verb spelling matches the verse below from Luke which is clearly 3rd person plural (parents) and the verb spelling would be different were it singlular or 2nd person.
  • Luke 2:27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,
  • Acts 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
  • Luke 2:27 καὶ ἦλθεν ἐν τῷ πνεύματι εἰς τὸ ἱερόν καὶ ἐν τῷ εἰσαγαγεῖν τοὺς γονεῖς τὸ παιδίον Ἰησοῦν τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὸ εἰθισμένον τοῦ νόμου περὶ αὐτοῦ
  • Acts 4:28 ποιῆσαι ὅσα ἡ χείρ σου καὶ ἡ βουλή σου προώρισεν γενέσθαι
I suspect that's why every translation says what they say. But if it turns out the verb is anything but 3rd person plural, I think I'd agree with you on that verse Scott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity