Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,409,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, I read yours, only that I don't give credence to any of the links that you give as "experts" to support what you're saying. As Jesus said (for he is the truth)

Matthew 15:14
"Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

That is what I'm about to do...am going to leave you to follow a blind man.
THE FOLLOWING HAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE TRUE REGARDING THE DEBATE ABOUT ETERNAL TORMENT

The argument about “eternal hell” nearly always gets bogged down with the words, “My Greek scholars are more reliable than your Greek scholars,” and the result is nearly always a stalemate.

My Greek scholars are Louis Abbott and the many Greek scholars he quotes in chapters three and twelve of
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words

Also see THE SCHOLAR’S CORNER at
Scholar's Corner: The Center for Bible studies in Christian Universalism

If you think it glorifies God more to let some of His creatures suffer forever, or annihilate them, then you keep believing that.

But if you think it glorifies God more to eventually meet everyone on the level of their greatest and deepest need which is a change in their stubborn will, then know that there is plenty of evidence in the Bible that that is exactly what God is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Jesus was an American, and he spoke English dang it. Greek shmeek! The word is eternal, not aion! learn to read english! ...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Jesus was an American, and he spoke English dang it. Greek shmeek! The word is eternal, not aion! learn to read english! ...

except when it makes no sense and then we will tell you what it means, okay ......and you just better believe it, otherwise you will end up you know where!!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I asked earlier

Can you tell me how the word aion and aionion can mean both age which has a beginning and an end and also mean eternal which has no beginning and end. To communicate ideas properly words need to have consistent meanings.

If aion and aionios mean eternal that would mean that these passages make no sense

Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this (world) ETERNAL? , neither in the world to come.

Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this (world) ETERNAL? , and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the (world) ETERNAL?; and the reapers are the angels.

Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this (world) ETERNAL?.

Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the (world) ETERNAL?: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the (world) ETERNAL??

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the (world) ETERNAL?. Amen.

Luk 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this (world) ETERNAL? marry, and are given in marriage:
Luk 20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that (world) ETERNAL???, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

It seems that the majority of times it is translated as eternal is when it has anything to do with life or damnation.

So it seems that if it relates to life and damnation it is translated eternal with not beginning and end and if it is used relating to anything else it is translated as having beginning and endings relating to world/age. To me this seems biased translating.
Lets take your example of 12:32

According to strongs greek dictionary states:

From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):—age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end).

G104
ἀεί
aei
ah-eye'
From an obsolete primary noun (apparently meaning continued duration); “ever”; by qualification regularly; by implication earnestly:—always, ever.

There are many greek words that are used that have dual meaning. Any student of languages knows that. Also the same word and how it is used can have a different meaning by implication. Don't tell me about biased translating.... Like greek, any language does that.

Frankly, no one here has yet to prove that one's knowledge about greek usage and its implied applications is anything more than what you can cut and paste....and I can prove that I can cut and paste as well

If you don't agree with Strong's, take it up with them.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Quote:

According to strongs greek dictionary (which I'm sure all your "expertise" about greek is something that is pasted from something that agrees with your biased translating) states:

From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):—age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end).

There are many greek words that are used that have dual meaning. Any student of languages knows that. Also the same word and how it is used can have a different meaning by implication. Don't tell me about biased translating.... Like greek, any language does that.

Frankly, no one here has yet to prove that one's knowledge about greek usage and its implied applications is anything more than what you can cut and paste.
Talk about biased translation. The strongs concordance states in the very front of the book that its translation is based on the translations of the KJV.

Go to a secular source not a fundamentalist or a universalist source.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Oh well, isn't that typical? Bye! Much love and god bless ... !

Talk about biased translation. The strongs concordance states in the very front of the book that its translation is based on the translations of the KJV translation.
Go to a secular source.... you mean the blind? No thanks

Take care

God bless
Twin

Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times
Hi, something that has a beginning and an end cannot be eternal. Many disagree with Strongs

Dr. R.F. Weymouth, a translator who was adept in Greek, states in The New Testament in Modern Speech (p. 657), "Eternal, Greek aeonian, i.e., of the ages: Etymologically this adjective, like others similarly formed does not signify, "during" but "belonging to" the aeons or ages."

Dr. Marvin Vincent, in his Word Studies of the New Testament (vol. IV, p. 59): "The adjective aionios in like manner carries the idea of time. Neither the noun nor the adjective in themselves carries the sense of "endless" or "everlasting." Aionios means enduring through or pertaining to a period of time. Out of the 150 instances in the LXX (Septuagint), four-fifths imply limited duration."

Dr. F.W. Farrar, author of The Life of Christ and The Life and Work of St. Paul, as well as books about Greek grammar and syntax, writes in The Eternal Hope (p. 198), "That the adjective is applied to some things which are "endless" does not, of course, for one moment prove that the word itself meant 'endless;' and to introduce this rendering into many passages would be utterly impossible and absurd." In his book, Mercy and Judgment, Dr. Farrar states (p. 378), "Since aion meant 'age,' aionios means, properly, 'belonging to an age,' or 'age-long,' and anyone who asserts that it must mean 'endless' defends a position which even Augustine practically abandoned twelve centuries ago. Even if aion always meant 'eternity,' which is not the case in classic or Hellenistic Greek-aionios could still mean only 'belonging to eternity' and not 'lasting through it.'"

Lange's Commentary American Edition (vol. V, p. 48), on Ecclesiastes chapter 1 verse 4, in commenting upon the statement "The earth abideth forever" says, "The preacher, in contending with the universalist, or restorationist, would commit an error, and, it may be, suffer a failure in his argument, should he lay the whole stress of it on the etymological or historical significance of the words, aion, aionios, and attempt to prove that, of themselves, they necessarily carry the meaning of endless duration." On page 45 of the same work, Dr. Taylor Lewis says: "The Greek aiones and aiones ton aionon, the Latin secula, and secula seculorum, the Old Saxon, or Old English of Wicliffe, to worldis or worldis (Heb. XIII 21), or our more modern phrase, for ever and ever, wherever the German ewig, was originally a noun denoting age or a vast period, just like the Greek, Latin, and Hebrew words corresponding to it."

The Rev. Bennet, in his Olam Hanneshamoth (p. 44), says, "The primary nature of olam is 'hidden,' and both as to past and future denotes a duration that is unknown." Olam is the Hebrew word for the Greek aion.

The Parkhurst Lexicon: "Olam (aeon) seems to be used much more for an indefinite than for an infinite time."

Dr. MacKnight: "I must be so candid as to acknowledge that the use of these terms 'forever,' 'eternal,' 'everlasting,' shows that they who understand these words in a limited sense when applied to punishment put no forced interpretation upon them."

Dr. Nigel Turner, in Christian Words, says (p. 457), "All the way through it is never feasible to understand aionios as everlasting."

The Pulpit Commentary, vol. 15, p. 485, says, "It is possible that 'aeonian' may denote merely indefinite duration without the connotation of never ending."

The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 4, p. 643, says, "The O.T. and the N.T. are not acquainted with conception of eternity as timelessness." Page 644: "The O.T. has not developed a special term for eternity." Page 645: "The use of the word aion in the N.T. is determined very much by the O.T. and the LXX. Aion means long, distant, uninterrupted time. The intensifying plural occurs frequently in the N.T. ...but it adds no new meaning."

L. Abbott

God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM

Greek words that mean everlasting, unending, ect.

In the Greek Scriptures endlessness is never expressed in terms of eons or of that which is eonian. The Scriptures never speak of "the endless eons of eternity."

Endlessness=

Endlessness is expressed by the use of negatives such as "not", "no not", "un", and "less."

For example:

"Of His kingdom there shall be no end" ouk estai telos (Luke 1:33);

"endless life" akatalutou (Heb. 7:16);

"endless genealogies" aperantois (1 Tim. 1:4)

& "nevermore" ou me eti (Rev. 18:21-23)

Greek Words That Denote Endlessness

Amarantos
Unfading=
Not fading away. Perennial
Amarantinos=
Unfading.
Composed of amaranth. A flower so called because it never withers or fades, and when plucked off revives if moistened by water.
Akatalutos=
Endless
Not subject to destruction.
Indissoluable.
Aphthartos=
Incorruptible. Not subject to decay.
Imperishable.
Athanasia=
Immortality. Undying
Literally: deathlessness.
Aphtharsia=
Incorruption/ perpetuity.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...rlastng-3.html

God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:

According to strongs greek dictionary states:

G104
ἀεί
aei
ah-eye'
From an obsolete primary noun (apparently meaning continued duration); “ever”; by qualification regularly; by implication earnestly:—always, ever.

Frankly, no one here has yet to prove that one's knowledge about greek usage and its implied applications is anything more than what you can cut and paste....and I can prove that I can cut and paste as well

If you don't agree with Strong's, take it up with them.
Twin.spin

Strongs is based on what things have been translated in the bible - so of course it is going to say age/world/ and eternal - because the KJV traslates it eternal. That does not make it right.

I am not a greek scholar, and frankly do not want to be but something is not right here. I want truth not tradition, and want to know why there is aion and aionios which mean age and world in most if not all application of the word and only when it comes to life or damnation it is traslated as eternal and the context in those passages do not indicate that it should have a meaning of eternal..

When you get to Revelation you get forever and ever - if one forever does not end why tack on another ever there at all - it makes no sense!! If it means ages of the ages that would make sense.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I am not a greek scholar, and frankly do not want to be but something is not right here.
Right, Meerkat. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity