Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

It's called Bridling the Tongue and I know I have have been guilty of this.

Different euphemisms for God in our everyday language, even hear our pastors spouting some of them every Sunday morning.

For God
Oh my "Gosh", "Golly", "Goodness"

For Jesus
"Jeez", "Jeewiz", "Jeepers"

"Darn", "Heck", "Holy Cow", "Doggonit" and there are probably at least 50 more.

I am not trying to show legalism. I am just trying to open eyes to such things, not to mention hoping others can add more on here so as Christians we can guard against them and tell others.

God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post

Different euphemisms for God in our everyday language, even hear our pastors spouting some of them every Sunday morning.

For God

For Jesus

I am not trying to show legalism. I am just trying to open eyes to such things, not to mention hoping others can add more on here so as Christians we can guard against them and tell others.

God Bless
I think you need to do a study on the word "vain". It isn't what you think it is, and as a matter of fact, it should scare us. Goes back to speaking falsely about God.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I think you need to do a study on the word "vain". It isn't what you think it is, and as a matter of fact, it should scare us. Goes back to speaking falsely about God.
Ummmmmmm......NO. I know what it is. There are many ways to do it. I am just calling out one way. Another is having a "Jesus loves you" bumper sticker on your car and then you drive like a raving lunatic on the road. prompting people to say, "yup! there's goes a Christian"

Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
I'll show the other readers the definitions of this word as well, then.

shav'=VAIN

1) emptiness, vanity, falsehood
a) emptiness, nothingness, vanity
b) emptiness of speech, lying
c) worthlessness (of conduct

Taken from the same word in the sense of desolating:

show' =desolate

masculine noun:

1) ravage

feminine Noun:

2) devastation, ruin, waste
a) devastation, ruin
b) ruin, waste (of land)

Put them all together to form this opinion, as they all are this word in Hebrew: שוא

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

For God

For Jesus

God Bless
Silly post...Good grief, how do you equate these words with Jesus or God?... I suppose you think I meant something else by saying good grief

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Silly post...Good grief, how do you equate these words with Jesus or God?... I suppose you think I meant something else by saying good grief
I would expect that. If you can't see then I am sorry that you would take the Lord's name so lightly or hear it lightly.

I guess you can't see similarities? Gosh hmmmmmm...O my Go--------, hmmmmmmm, even though you changed the word, you still MEAN THE SAME! We might be fooling ourselves but we are not fooling God.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
I would expect that. If you can't see then I am sorry that you would take the Lord's name so lightly or hear it lightly.

I guess you can't see similarities? Gosh hmmmmmm...O my Go--------, hmmmmmmm, even though you changed the word, you still MEAN THE SAME! We might be fooling ourselves but we are not fooling God.
I say Gosh and I do it meaning Wow -it is an expression of surprise - I think you are reading too much into a word and not into the intention. Meanings of words change and also have multiple meanings at times. Just because a word starts with Go... does not mean it is holy.

I agree with HotinAZ that taking Gods name in vain means that you either attribute things to God that he never said or speak badly of him, if you intentionally say "God damn you" that would be taking his name in vain as God in kind even the ungrateful.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I say Gosh and I do it meaning Wow -it is an expression of surprise - I think you are reading too much into a word and not into the intention. Meanings of words change and also have multiple meanings at times. Just because a word starts with Go... does not mean it is holy.

I agree with HotinAZ that taking Gods name in vain means that you either attribute things to God that he never said or speak badly of him, if you intentionally say "God damn you" that would be taking his name in vain as God in kind even the ungrateful.
What is a Gosh? what is a Jeez and what is the short form for?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Gosh is an expression - what is a Damn? it is an expression of hurt or surprise - if you are surprised by something what do you say?

The word is what it is.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM

If you are going into what words mean and where they originated

Is "God" or Jehovah correct

Quote:
Etymology of the Name God

Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.

Nonetheless, it is also interesting to note the similarity to the ancient Persian word for God which is Khoda.

The following is a survey of some of the efforts of those who have been trying to decipher the ancient roots of the word God:

Webster's 1913 Dictionary:

\God\ (g[o^]d), n. [AS. god; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. gu[eth], go[eth], Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. h[=u], p. p. h[=u]ta, to call upon, invoke, implore. [root]30. Cf. {Goodbye}, {Gospel}, {Gossip}.]

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/god

Catholic Encyclopedia:

Etymology of the Word "God"

(Anglo-Saxon God; German Gott; akin to Persian khoda; Hindu khooda).

God can variously be defined as:
the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;
the common or generic name of the several supposed beings to whom, in polytheistic religions, Divine attributes are ascribed and Divine worship rendered;
the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god.

The root-meaning of the name (from Gothic root gheu; Sanskrit hub or emu, "to invoke or to sacrifice to") is either "the one invoked" or "the one sacrificed to." From different Indo-Germanic roots (div, "to shine" or "give light"; thes in thessasthai "to implore") come the Indo-Iranian deva, Sanskrit dyaus (gen. divas), Latin deus, Greek theos, Irish and Gaelic dia, all of which are generic names; also Greek Zeus (gen. Dios, Latin Jupiter (jovpater), Old Teutonic Tiu or Tiw (surviving in Tuesday), Latin Janus, Diana, and other proper names of pagan deities. The common name most widely used in Semitic occurs as 'el in Hebrew, 'ilu in Babylonian, 'ilah in Arabic, etc.; and though scholars are not agreed on the point, the root-meaning most probably is "the strong or mighty one."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity