Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
What is a Gosh? what is a Jeez and what is the short form for?

My mother would back hand me so fast if I ever uttered those phrases,,,,,,,she would say the samething you are and I would have to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Let's be honest. what does gosh and jeeze mean????? what are they alluding to? oh whatever could it mean...... what do they sound close to? Please let's be honest!
Look I do understand what you are saying, and don't doubt that some people use the terms in a manner that is disrespectful to God. However, I just don't agree with the level that you are taking it to and feel it can border on being a bit legalistic.

I believe strongly that God sees our hearts and the intentions of all we do and say. When I have used those terms.. I have used them to express an emotion at the moment. Not taking the Lord's name in vain, not in place of the Lord's name. And my usage of the word in no way entails that I have disregard for the holy name of God.

There are extremes that can be taken in all things in life. In this sense, taking terms as gosh and geeze and generalizing them to solely represent taking the Lords name in vain is, in my opinion, going to an extreme.

I mean come on, just the other day I told my 4 yr old little step-daughter "well golly gee look how cute you look".... was I taking the Lord's name in vain or using it inappropriately, absolutely not and I am sure God knows that as well. I think there is far more to be concerned with in a person's character, behavior, actions and words than the use of gosh or gee.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,102 times
I agree mari4him. It goes back to man looks on the outside but God looks on the heart. I think we can say, Rats, and have a bad heart attitude. I find myself saying, ****zy, just because it doesn't sound so bad but means the same. But I'm more concerned with my heart attitude then a particular word. I'm not one to use bad language but I'm sure with whatever words I use that sometimes my heart is not right.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,705,401 times
Driftwood/mari4him,

I totally agree with both of you.

Quote:
I think there is far more to be concerned with in a person's character, behavior, actions and words than the use of gosh or gee.
That thought was going through my mind as well!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
Ok, I did a little, and I mean little, research on this and found through the Merriam Webster dictionary that "gosh" is considered a euphemism for God whose function is as an interjection which dates from 1757. Jeeze, jeez, geez and the like are euphemisms for Jesus which came about around 1923 and has the same function as gosh. Makes one think about it, to be sure.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
There is a special word phrase that begins with "lying (something or other) that signifies words spoken for what ever reason to not be directly related to GOD so as to legalistically avoid a so called sin. I wish I could remember that word.
Please forgive typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity