Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times

Advertisements

Well, what does this commandment mean to you all?

Should it be obeyed?

Do you even understand this?

I shall pipe in in due course, but am curious to the Christian understanding here on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Well, what does this commandment mean to you all?
Should it be obeyed?
Do you even understand this?
I shall pipe in in due course, but am curious to the Christian understanding here on CD.
Hard to say, Hot . . . there is no universal agreement . . . but my guess would be . . . don't bother God with trivial stuff. We are to overcome and endure this physical world to the end . . . that leaves little justification for bugging God about our petty complaints, wants and desires. But that's just a guess.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
A difficult commandment to understand. I do not think it means what most Christians believe and that is using His name in profanity. I think it more likely has more to do with How we use, teach, apply Him to our lives ..

Good topic for discussion, Hot.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Vain is being excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, merely being conceited.

2 Timothy 3:1-7
This, know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, un-thankful, unholy, Without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers' of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Personal vanity, if you ask me.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Vain is being excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, merely being conceited.

2 Timothy 3:1-7
This, know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, un-thankful, unholy, Without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers' of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Personal vanity, if you ask me.
That is one of the meanings of vain . . . but another is = fruitlessly . . . "they tried to save them in vain" . . . "in vain do they worship me teaching the precepts and doctrines of men" . . . "they waited in vain for someone to show up" . . . another is like it= uselessly . . . "she used the Lord's name in vain."

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
For me, as for others of my faith, taking the name of the Lord God in vain means only using it respectfully. Whenever we say "God" or "Lord" or "Jesus Christ," it is in a religious context. We don't believe in using those terms as epithets when we're angry or frustrated.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
I think God means for us not to take His Holy name..or rather,Himself..for granted.
It doesn't make sense to me that God would mean for it to say something that didn't even apply back then..I doubt ppl were going around saying 'Goddamn' back then.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Do not be a hypocrite - do not be a Christian in name only but in Actions. To take the name of the LORD is to take all that it represents and to be a reflection of that wherever you go not just in the services of your ceremonies and for the Israelites - their religous duties. Wherever you are no matter how far away from the center of those religious duties and place of worship you should hold up the name of the LORD and make it known to others not just in word but in deed.

Represent Him correctly and fully always.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I think God means for us not to take His Holy name..or rather,Himself..for granted.
It doesn't make sense to me that God would mean for it to say something that didn't even apply back then..I doubt ppl were going around saying 'Goddamn' back then.
I wonder if anyone has ever said, Aaah Buddha!

(No need to answer, I just did)

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever said, Aaah Buddha!

(No need to answer, I just did)
lol,yes, those who swear should certainly be up for equal opportunity gods.darned allah! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity