Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I like your idea! I do try not to use God in the cussing sense. Although I think God may have laughed when I repeatedly asked him to damn my IKEA TV cabinet when I was trying to assemble it. I suppose he ultimately did, when it fell apart as I tried to move it out my front door

I find myself trying to edit out "Jeez" or "gosh dangit" type statements since I have 3 year olds who repeat everything. Overall, I find cussing to be something that may have an appropriate place (like among friends at a sports bar, for instance) but shows total classlessness (is that a word?) when people cuss in front of others in public, work, etc. I know my kids will cuss at some point - I'm not living outside reality. But I want them to know when are where it's totally inappropriate, like in front of any parents!
Kids do like to try us and no matter how much we shelter them from the things we don't want them to do, they will do it anyway.

The way I stopped my own son from swearing (I'm not saying he was a swearer by any means, he just found some of them fun to say) is I gave him one day every two weeks to swear all he wanted as long as it was just me in the house or car. The only stipulation was that he couldn't say the f word. After a while, he told me that he didn't like them and he was glad that he got to say them with me and that if he used them anywhere else, he wouldn't feel so good. That was when he was about 8 or 9. He's 18 now and still doesn't cuss unless it's just the two of us and it's usually only the donkey word. It worked beautifully but I know every child is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:

Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity