Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times

Advertisements

i always wondered exactly what this meant,hen i was growing up if you banged head off a wall or somethin and ya yelled,''Jesus''or ''Jasus'',me mother would say,dont be usin the lords name in vain.

i found this confusing since Jesus wasnt even born at the time of the ten commandments,so i think its actually using Gods name to make yourself look good,for ones own ego(vanity).

what do yas think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i always wondered exactly what this meant,hen i was growing up if you banged head off a wall or somethin and ya yelled,''Jesus''or ''Jasus'',me mother would say,dont be usin the lords name in vain.

i found this confusing since Jesus wasnt even born at the time of the ten commandments,so i think its actually using Gods name to make yourself look good,for ones own ego(vanity).

what do yas think???
To be in the Lord's name means to partake of Him spiritually. Think of the reference in scripture to being in the vine. If your in the vine then it is expected that you will bear fruit. Any branch that doesn't is pruned from the vine. Therefore, this is esentially how I see using the Lord's name in vain. It isn't about the literal words from an earthly perspective but rather from a spiritual perspective. So if I'm in Christ, then I should be spreading the Spiritual knowledge I have obtained and the gifts of the Spirit that I have been given should be utilized.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Taking the name in a useless vain way is what the commandment says....... But even taking the idenity of Jesus in vain is the same as taking the name in vain...... See Christian religion that has no relationship with the Lord and is proud Christians type when Jesus is not proud , where evil hearted Christians ,were Jesus is not evil hearted , all in all take the idenitities and purpose of the Lord name in vain is the same for that commandment....... what will happen if we brake this command ? well we would invite the liberal spirit to be our strange god when we do not want that evil spirit near us , also we may blaspheme Holy Spirit is we take Gods name in a vain or ridicule Jesus purpose or identities

Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:

what do yas think???

I'm thinking anyone who says they are doing something in God's name but does the opposite of what God wants or is working contrary to the Spirit and it's fruits is using God's name in vain (hello Crusaders and witch-hunters?).

Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
The word translated into English as "vain" in the Ten Commandments, is the Hebrew word shav'. It's defined as "empty, lying, or worthless.

The word translated as "name," is the Hebrew word shem, which is defined as "name, reputation, fame or glory." In other words, it refers not to just a specific name, such as yours and mine, but the totality of your name; your reputation.

So...taking the Lord's name in vain means to consider God as worthless, as nothing, as something of no value.

Indirectly, the case could be made that saying "Godd----t" or "Jesus!" indicates that one doesn't hold a very high opinion of God, and that may be true. On the other hand, God searches the heart and an occassional slip of the tongue, or even habitual use, may or may not be taking the Lord's name in vain. It all depends upon what you think, not what you say.

Interestingly, the word "take", or "taketh," (both of which are used in that verse from the Ten Commandments in Genesis and Deuteronomy) has several meanings, one of which is to "lift up or exalt one's self." In other words, pride.

Also, recall that this verse from the Ten Commandents also contains a promise, or threat if you will: IF you take the name of the Lord in vain, the Lord will not hold you "guiltless." What does that mean?

For one not to be held guiltless can only mean one thing: That forgiveness of your sins is not available, cannot be granted, that you must bear your own guilt on judgment day.

Taken all together, you get this:

Taking the Lords name in vain means that God has no value to you, that He is irrelevant and immaterial to your life. Rejecting the truth of God is the same as putting yourself on your own throne, exalting your self. And, if you think God is nothing, you won't do what He says. If you don't do what He says, you won't come accept His free offer of grace through the blood of Jesus Christ and you will die in your sins, still bearing your own guilt, ie: Not guiltless.

Taking the Lord's name in vain really means rejecting Christ.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
To me, taking the Lord's name in vain is to use it in anything other than a reverent manner. Using it as an expletive is definitely taking it in vain.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
thanks for the replies,now heres another question,how come so many christians dont speak Gods name,the God that moses was talking about in the ten commandments.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
thanks for the replies,now heres another question,how come so many christians dont speak Gods name,the God that moses was talking about in the ten commandments.

In the first place, nobody knows how to pronounce His name as original Hebrew had neither vowels nor punctuation.

In the second, what difference does it make?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
From my perspective, God is my Father in Heaven. That's how I address Him. I know that there are some people who address their parents by their first names, but I never did. I always just called them Mom and Dad or something like that. Since God is the Father of our spirits, it seems more respectful to me to call Him "Father" than to call Him by His name.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In the first place, nobody knows how to pronounce His name as original Hebrew had neither vowels nor punctuation.

In the second, what difference does it make?
Do we truly know the correct pronunciation of Jesus' name? People still feel it is important to use it.

I noticed that everyone responded in reference to Jesus. Why not use the name of the Father (in an honorable way of course)?

Last edited by beeveenh; 01-03-2011 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: oops...typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity