Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people say GD!or JC in anger?
Why not use the devils name?
Im trying to stop myself from doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
I'm not a Christian but I'm really trying to get out of the habit myself so as not to upset people (my best friend's parents are Methodist so being around them helps me to watch what I say). I think it probably stems from the idea of crying to God for help but has become a part of everyday speech for a lot of people. Although I think that some people have a chip on their shoulder and look to be offended, I never like it if someone genuinely is and I do think people need to watch what they say a bit more.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
I hear a lot of Christians that say things like G**, J****, JC, L***, and OMG and it really bothers me knowing them personally and knowing they are Godly people but still say things like that. I just wander if it really ever occurred to them that they really are taking the Lords name in vain.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
I hear you brother.

Just habit I guess.

But I have to wonder is it in vain when something goes "bang" or "falls" and you yell out "Jesus! - LOOK OUT!" or whatever.

I'm kind of serious. Who SHOULD I yell for, "mommy"?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Why do so many people say GD!or JC in anger?
Why not use the devils name?
Im trying to stop myself from doing this.
Damnation------>Damn------>God damn------>***dammit

I have no idea of how Jesus Christ became profane.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Damnation------>Damn------>God damn------>***dammit

I have no idea of how Jesus Christ became profane.
When His name is used for slang.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I hear you brother.

Just habit I guess.

But I have to wonder is it in vain when something goes "bang" or "falls" and you yell out "Jesus! - LOOK OUT!" or whatever.

I'm kind of serious. Who SHOULD I yell for, "mommy"?
I see your point...
If i said Jesus!because something scared me or suprised me that..
Would be different than yelling it because im stuck in traffic or..
Angry about something.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Damnation------>Damn------>God damn------>***dammit I have no idea of how Jesus Christ became profane.
I don't know either. I never considered the mere act of sweqring to be taking the Lord's name in vain . . . though associating God's name with negative human emotions is probably not the best idea. Of course all positive emotions and contact of any nature is a good idea.

Personally, I have always viewed the "in vain" part to mean without sufficient justification . . . actually asking God to intervene for trivialities. I treasure my relationship with God and do not trifle with it. I am capable of taking care of myself and my loved ones most of the time. I save requests to God for those things truly out of my control, period. I just want to avoid the "calling wolf" syndrome.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't know either. I never considered the mere act of sweqring to be taking the Lord's name in vain . . . though associating God's name with negative human emotions is probably not the best idea. Of course all positive emotions and contact of any nature is a good idea.

Personally, I have always viewed the "in vain" part to mean without sufficient justification . . . actually asking God to intervene for trivialities. I treasure my relationship with God and do not trifle with it. I am capable of taking care of myself and my loved ones most of the time. I save requests to God for those things truly out of my control, period. I just want to avoid the "calling wolf" syndrome.
I agree in part, Mystic.
I think swearing using the Lord's name IS using it in vain.
But I agree: so too is using it without purpose.
Though, I think it's used as a figure of speech - rather than an actual prayer to intervene in the trivial.

Like deerdog, it bothers me to hear Christians exclaim, "Oh L__d!" or OG, and especially OMG.
...Even expressions like "sweet J____!"

Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
I agree in part, Mystic.
I think swearing using the Lord's name IS using it in vain.
But I agree: so too is using it without purpose.
Though, I think it's used as a figure of speech - rather than an actual prayer to intervene in the trivial.

Like deerdog, it bothers me to hear Christians exclaim, "Oh L__d!" or OG, and especially OMG.
...Even expressions like "sweet J____!"

let God appear before you and find out the components of such bothering? vanity? (fair? fairness?)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity