Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM

110 posts, read 158,803 times

Advertisements

Miss Martha which faith are you, what is your Church´s name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,521,147 times
I am a born again Christian. Non-Denominational and yes, I have been baptized.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Definition

The Chrismation, which in the Coptic Orthodox Chuch is called the Sacrament of the Myron, is the Sacrament in which the faithful receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, the only one who can establish him in the new life, been giving to him by the baptism. Just like the sacrament of the baptism, this sacrament can never be repeated.

Establishment of the Sacrament.

It is Established on the base of varying promises that the Lord Jesus Christ had done about giving the Holy Spirit. See for this the Gospel of John, Chapters 7, 14, 15, 16 etcetera.

The moment of giving it.

Because the faithful through this sacrament is being established in the new life, been giving to him by the baptism, it has to be direct giving to it after the baptism. Some churches say that it must be delayed untill the children are more ripe for it. In reply to this must be have the following remarks sufficient:

1. The Holy Spirit descended immediatly after the baptism of our lord Jesus Christus on Him: Matthew 3:16
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.
2. The apostles had the normal thing this sacrament giving it to by giving it direct to the new baptist direct laying of the hands.
Acts 8:14-17
14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into[c] the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

5On hearing this, they were baptized into[b] the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[c] and prophesied. (Acts 19)

Vormsel: 23
Doopsel: 16

Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Miss Martha

Do you now believe that
1. Baptism and
2. Chrismation

Are Sacraments?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West. View Post
...Just like the sacrament of the baptism, this sacrament can never be repeated.
I'd like to add a minor clarification....

A valid baptism can never be repeated. A valid baptism must be performed in the Trinitarian formula. Otherwise, if I'm not mistaken, the church may not recognize it and thus a person can be rebaptized. Likewise, if there is some doubt about the validity of a previous baptism (such as the person doesn't know if a previous baptism was valid or not), the church can perform a conditional baptism.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,187,542 times
Default What does this say to the a hurting world?

This thread is so sad.

Would you people just acknowledge that with God ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West. View Post
Miss Martha

Do you now believe that
1. Baptism and
2. Chrismation

Are Sacraments?
I believe that Baptism is, but I have the issues with Crismation/Confirmation if you are speaking of the class that Catholic children take to confirm their baptism. It looks as though Biblically the Chrismation happened directly after the baptism without any pomp or ceremony.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:12 PM

I believe that all Catholics and Orthodox (except for the Roman Catholic Church) do Baptism and Chrismation immediatly after each other.

Within the R.C.C. the Confirmation is giving at a age of around fourteen years old. Then the child/young adult also gets his first communion (eucharist/sacrament of the eucharist). I personally believe, although I believe, that the R.C.C. has a good faith, this is not Good, you should think about it, you baptize the child and at the age of 10 years old, it will die, without having the eucharist, and withouth having the chrismation, very sad...I am glad my church, syriac orthodox church of antioch, does baptism and chrismation, immediatly after each other.

Let´s suppose you also believe Chrismation be a Sacrament. We will then now turn over to the third of the seven sacrametns: The sacrament of Penance.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,543 times
Yes I agree, sad indeed, if I were to stand before West., I would not be saved.
lets see Ive been baptized in the name of Jesus, filled with the holy ghost, operate in the gifts, pray, Love my neighbor.......
now I just need to join one of the above mentioned churches and follow the 7 sacraments and then maybe I can be saved....wow sad indeed

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,275 times
Quote:

Within the R.C.C. the Confirmation is giving at a age of around fourteen years old. Then the child/young adult also gets his first communion (eucharist/sacrament of the eucharist)
UH... NO...

The RCC does Baptisms ASAP upon birth (after the parents complete the classes for preparation)... or when people decide to join/be baptized... THEN there is Religious Education and in Second Grade (USUALLY) the children recieve Firs Holy Communion (around 7 or 8 years of age)... along with reconciliation... Confirmation is (usually) around 9th grade or at 14 or 15 when a young adult has a better understanding what their faith is about and is ready to accept it and be confirmed... Now, if this is done later in life I do not know what the routine is... But you make it sound like a child is confirmed and THEN they get communion....not so...

Please... I am going to ask again... if you do not know enough about the RCC then please do not pretend you do... Talk about your own church in this nasty web you are spinning...

Last edited by skbs; 09-08-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity