Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 01:48 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I always like listening to that part of a good Christian's testimony. Even if they do leave out some of the best parts.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...way-jesus.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 04:51 AM

923 posts, read 237,898 times
“Remember the former things of old: For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times the things that are not yet done, Saying, My counsel shall stand, And I will do all my pleasure: Calling a ravenous bird from the east, The man that executeth my counsel from a far country: Yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.” Isaiah 46:9–11 (KJV 1900)

For this to be true, it involves every thought and action every person ever had to bring about God's predetermined end.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:33 AM

327 posts, read 132,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgabriel88 View Post
We have freewill God lets us decide to do good or bad and our purpose in life is when we make that decision. it’s easy to not know that purpose because we are different. But freewill God gives it but he also gives us the law and the law is not wrong and niether is freewill just soceity itself is wrong and we have forgotten what is the normal back in those days. Society mistakes and thinks G-d is against freewill but gave freewill the right to choose and they have invented freewill is voting, paying taxes, and civics duties.
We have freewill until we discover that God already has knowledge of all our thoughts and prayers and already acted on them. So man has "freewill thinking" but God has complete knowledge of how that turns out.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriting View Post
We have freewill until we discover that God already has knowledge of all our thoughts and prayers and already acted on them. So man has "freewill thinking" but God has complete knowledge of how that turns out.
I like your take on it. I express it a bit differently. That is, God controls us through the reasons He sends that we base our choices on.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
I like your take on it. I express it a bit differently. That is, God controls us through the reasons He sends that we base our choices on.
Even with those reasons, we can still choose between good and evil.

I may have a reason to do evil; and yet may still perform good.

And I may have a reason to do good; and yet may still perform evil.

Does God give us reasons to do evil?

Old 06-06-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Even with those reasons, we can still choose between good and evil.

I may have a reason to do evil; and yet may still perform good.

And I may have a reason to do good; and yet may still perform evil.

Does God give us reasons to do evil?
Why pray "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil if he doesn't do this?

Old 06-06-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Why pray "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil" if he doesn't do this?
God does not tempt anyone (James 1:13).

The prayer is that the Lord might lead us away from situations in which we might be tempted by the devil.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:01 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:

The prayer is that the Lord might lead us away from situations in which we might be tempted by the devil.
It all depends what we need though

I think it is more that temptation and adversity are to be overcome, if we have a tendency to impatience the way to get patience is to be kept waiting not for something to be instantly provided - but someone who is patient does not need to kept waiting/tested/tried

Testing of Your Faith
Jas 1:2**My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Jas 1:3**Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
Jas 1:4**But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Jas 1:5**If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Jas 1:6**But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7**For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:

How about the Pharisees and God hardening their hearts so they can not be saved? How about all but believers abiding under God's wrath? All they can do is sin? Yet he directs their evil steps?

Old 06-07-2022, 07:19 AM

327 posts, read 132,466 times
Quote:
How about the Pharisees and God hardening their hearts so they can not be saved? How about all but believers abiding under God's wrath? All they can do is sin? Yet he directs their evil steps?
God directs their evil steps, but not artificially. He does it naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity