Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:06 PM

33,273 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Geologist and Christian Ken Wolgemuth who is an old earth creationist explains why the Grand Canyon could not have been created by any single flood in this short 6 minute video. This is geological evidence against a global flood.

Could the Grand Canyon Have Been Carved Out by a Single Flood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSo_m680VqU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 06:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
I was reading an article online just a week or so ago that said the lateral grooves cut in the canyon were no doubt evidence of the flood.

Scientists are like Christians, they can't agree on anything.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:47 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
I feel like this argument is pointless. We're making the assumption that God created the world with perfectly flat/smooth topography.

Maybe God created the world with canyons already there...

Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I was reading an article online just a week or so ago that said the lateral grooves cut in the canyon were no doubt evidence of the flood.

Scientists are like Christians, they can't agree on anything.
The article is wrong and no doubt was from a young-earth creationist site. No single flood could result in the different kinds of strata found in the Grand Canyon. Different conditions had to have occurred for the various types of strata which are seen in the Canyon. Limestone does not form in floods. Yet the Grand Canyon has strata of limestone. Furthermore, floods are violent by their very nature and result in disorder. That is, they make a mess and do not lay things down in an orderly manner.

The Tapeats Sandstone strata of the Canyon, which requires different conditions to form than limestone, contains burrows and tracks of simple wormlike animals. Sandstone forms on the floor of rivers, lakes and oceans over long periods of time. As geologist David R. Montgomery asks in his book The Rocks Don't Lie, ''How could fragile worms have been crawling around on and burrowing into the seafloor during a flood powerful enough to remodel the planet?'' The answer of course is that they could not have.

Listen, the scientists who work for the young earth creationist sites either lie or engage in faulty research. It is simply impossible for a single flood, no matter how powerful to have formed the Grand Canyon.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The article is wrong and no doubt was from a young-earth creationist site. No single flood could result in the different kinds of strata found in the Grand Canyon. Different conditions had to have occurred for the various types of strata which are seen in the Canyon. Limestone does not form in floods. Yet the Grand Canyon has strata of limestone. Furthermore, floods are violent by their very nature and result in disorder. That is, they make a mess and do not lay things down in an orderly manner.

The Tapeats Sandstone strata of the Canyon, which requires different conditions to form than limestone, contains burrows and tracks of simple wormlike animals. Sandstone forms on the floor of rivers, lakes and oceans over long periods of time. As geologist David R. Montgomery asks in his book The Rocks Don't Lie, ''How could fragile worms have been crawling around on and burrowing into the seafloor during a flood powerful enough to remodel the planet?'' The answer of course is that they could not have.

Listen, the scientists who work for the young earth creationist sites either lie or engage in faulty research. It is simply impossible for a single flood, no matter how powerful to have formed the Grand Canyon.
I'll take your word on the sites, but I disagree that it's not possible for the flood to create the canyon.

If the scripture didn't say there was a flood, I may have agreed with them, but something tells me different!

Old 06-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'll take your word on the sites, but I disagree that it's not possible for the flood to create the canyon.

If the scripture didn't say there was a flood, I may have agreed with them, but something tells me different!
That's because you refuse to think and refuse to accept the scientific evidence. Many Christians accept the fact that there was never a global flood. Why can't you?

Old 06-17-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
That's because you refuse to think and refuse to accept the scientific evidence. Many Christians accept the fact that there was never a global flood. Why can't you?
Cause the scripture says otherwise! I realize the scripture doesn't mean what it used to, but it does to me!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Cause the scripture says otherwise! I realize the scripture doesn't mean what it used to, but it does to me!
Why do you refuse to even consider that the flood story is in the Bible not because it actually happened, but because the writer of Genesis in writing to his fellow Israelites of the time wrote it as a polemic against the flood legends of the other Ancient Near East peoples giving it a slant in keeping with Hebrew theology? Genesis was written primarily to them, not to us. It addressed issues important to them.

It's been said that God has two books . . .the book of scripture and the book of nature, and that the two therefore cannot be in contradiction to each other. Therefore, if the book of nature seems to disagree with the book of scripture, maybe the book of scripture is being misinterpreted . . .misunderstood.

It is a fact as I pointed out that it is simply impossible for the various strata of the Grand Canyon to have been formed by a single event such as the biblical flood despite what young earth creationists believe. Therefore the biblical flood is simply not historically true. The flood story is in the Bible for theological reasons rather than for literal historical reasons. The biblical flood story simply counters the competing flood legends of the time.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:43 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
It is a fact as I pointed out that it is simply impossible for the various strata of the Grand Canyon to have been formed by a single event such as the biblical flood despite what young earth creationists believe. Therefore the biblical flood is simply not historically true. The flood story is in the Bible for theological reasons rather than for literal historical reasons. The biblical flood story simply counters the competing flood legends of the time.
Your logic doesn't follow.

God could have created the world with the canyon already partially or fully formed. The canyon doesn't tell us anything about whether or not the Flood was a real historical event.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
it was not physical, visible event...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity