Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:15 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why are you attacking the Bible?
I'm not attacking the Bible. I simply don't attempt to make the Bible into something it was never intended to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 09:16 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
What you don't know is ''How'' God created the heavens and the earth. It wasn't in the way that Genesis says.
"It wasn't the way Genesis says," right there you have a problem with Bible believing Christians.

You have lost all credit with them!

Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
I'm not attacking the Bible. I simply don't attempt to make the Bible into something it was never intended to be.
As Charlie pointed out, you stated it wasn't as Genesis says. Seems like you're attacking the Bible. I'm just curious, why?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:23 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
You reveal a lack of knowledge concerning the formation of the earth which is dated to be some 4.54 billion years old give or take 50 million years. For a quick lesson concerning how the earth was formed, go here;

https://www.space.com/19175-how-was-earth-formed.html

The layers of rock that make up the Grand Canyon range from 270 million years for the youngest rocks to about 1.8 billion years for the oldest rocks.

https://www.canyontours.com/guides/h...-grand-canyon/

The issue is not what God could have done but rather what God did do, and the geologic evidence shows us how God chose to bring about the earth as it is today.
Why do you believe the dating system? All matter is the same age as it was created by God when He spoke it into being. Matter just takes different forms over time.

Just as God created Adam as a fully grown adult, God could have created the earth with "age" built in.

Your premises are all flawed and like I said in my first post, this argument is pointless and does nothing but undermine what little faith people already have.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
As Charlie pointed out, you stated it wasn't as Genesis says. Seems like you're attacking the Bible. I'm just curious, why?
As often as I have said it (and not I only), you still don't understand. The Genesis accounts of creation and the flood have a theological purpose without the need for those accounts to have been historically true. The Bible is deeply seated in its ancient Near East context and reflects that environment. You know that not everything in the Bible is to be understood literally, but when it comes to the creation and flood accounts you for some reason think that they must be literal.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
As often as I have said it (and not I only), you still don't understand. The Genesis accounts of creation and the flood have a theological purpose without the need for those accounts to have been historically true. The Bible is deeply seated in its ancient Near East context and reflects that environment. You know that not everything in the Bible is to be understood literally, but when it comes to the creation and flood accounts you for some reason think that they must be literal.
So you're attacking the Bible. But you're nice about it...saying that "it has a purpose", but it's just not to be believed.

Ok. Sure.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:27 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Quote:
Interpretation of scripture MUST be proven from scripture, not proven by what Michael says!

Show us in scripture the account of the flood is not a literal fact!

Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
"It wasn't the way Genesis says," right there you have a problem with Bible believing Christians.

You have lost all credit with them!
Every Christian believes the Bible. There are thousands of things in the Bible that are interpreted differently. Someone holding a different interpretation from yours isn't an indication that they don't believe the Bible.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Have you ever read "Winnie the Pooh"?

It is a tale of a little boy whose stuffed animals live by themselves in the woods, talk, have houses, play games, play tricks on each other, etc.

If I tell you that "Winnie the Pooh" is not literally true, that Christopher Robin Milne's stuffed animals did not talk and run around in the woods behind his house, I am not ATTACKING the book.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Why do you believe the dating system? All matter is the same age as it was created by God when He spoke it into being. Matter just takes different forms over time.

Just as God created Adam as a fully grown adult, God could have created the earth with "age" built it.

Your premises are all flawed and like I said in my first post, this argument is pointless and does nothing but undermine what little faith people already have.
No, my premises are not flawed and your statements are grossly ignorant of the facts. The various dating systems used by scientists are extremely accurate when used properly and give us a reliable age of the earth.

The argument is not pointless as it concerns matters pertaining to the reality of our existence. Nor should it undermine anyone's faith, but rather, should strengthen it. A God who chose to create the universe though the big bang and who chose to use evolution to bring about the various forms of life is much greater than a God who created the way the Genesis story says he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity