Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 04:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No legitimate geologist who is not on the payroll of some young earth creationist organization would argue that Noah's flood happened. All the geological evidence refutes it, and any young earth creationist believer who rejects the evidence does so strictly because of theological reasons.
And I've never met a Christian who actually believes the Bible is inerrant that believes in evolution and an old Earth. But you be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 04:45 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No, it doesn't. I don't mean to say that there was a global flood, only to say that simply because the Grand Canyon wasn't formed by a global flood -- it was formed over millions of years of water and wind erosion -- doesn't prove there was not a global flood. Your logic is flawed.

Frankly, literal interpretation is a modern practice and many (including myself) believe those that seek a literal meaning in the stories of the Old testament are not getting the point. The stories are allegorical, meant to pass on a complicated belief system in a Consciousness that is beyond understanding.

It may surprise you that at the time of the Bible's creation, there were other creationist stories ascribed to by other peoples. Many different aboriginal cultures today, including Native Americans, have their own creationist stories. There are more flavors of beliefs than most people understand without benefit of a world religion study plan.
No, my logic is not flawed. I simply gave the Grand Canyon as one example of why Noah's Flood never happened. Noah's Flood supposedly happened about 4,500 years ago and is associated with a young earth. The Grand Canyon formed over millions of years.

And I am well aware of the other creationist and flood stories. You apparently have not read many of my threads and posts.

Old 01-04-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And I've never met a Christian who actually believes the Bible is inerrant that believes in evolution and an old Earth. But you be you.
Many Christians accept evolution and an old earth as a reality. What percentage accept the Bible as inerrant I can't say.

But neither the fact that the earth is some 4.5 billion years old, and that Noah's Flood never happened is not in doubt by any reputable and legitimate geologist not on the payroll of a YEC organization. And again, many of the early geologists in the 18th century were Christians and had no problem accepting the geological evidence concerning both.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-04-2023 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 05:13 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Welp. That settles it. Some geologist guy says it couldn't have happened.
Yep Who needs the Bible when we have YouTube and pretentious babblers as "experts". God bless our most holy YouTube. LOL

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-04-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 07:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Many Christians accept evolution and an old earth as a reality. What percentage accept the Bible as inerrant I can't say.

But neither the fact that the earth is some 4.5 billion years old, and that Noah's Flood never happened is not in doubt by any reputable and legitimate geologist not on the payroll of a YEC organization. And again, many of the early geologists in the 18th century were Christians and had no problem accepting the geological evidence concerning both.
Ok Mike. You be you. I'd rather stand on what God's Word says. And it's clear we did not evolve from any lower life form.

It's also clear that the entire world flooded. Now, if you want to doubt the grand canyon formed that way? Ok. Sure. Don't honestly care. But there was a literal Adam, and I doubt very much he lived 4.5 billion years ago.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
...You apparently have not read many of my threads and posts.
Sorry! What there a reading list provided?! LOL

Old 01-05-2023, 09:01 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
LOL, but you did make some assumptions in your post such as "you may be surprised to learn that there are other creationist stories" or that the poster you were addressing was a Bible literalist.

One thing you can be sure of, you must not make assumptions on the Christianity forum as to what the particular Christian you are addressing believes.

There is currently one amusing (to me) thread in which a heated discussion is in play with contributions by a Catholic, a Jehovah's Witness, and even better, two Bible literalists/fundamentalists who do not see eye to eye as to what their literally "God's Word", infallible scripture means.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Ok Mike. You be you. I'd rather stand on what God's Word says. And it's clear we did not evolve from any lower life form.

It's also clear that the entire world flooded. Now, if you want to doubt the grand canyon formed that way? Ok. Sure. Don't honestly care. But there was a literal Adam, and I doubt very much he lived 4.5 billion years ago.
Sorry, but neither of those are clear. Quite the opposite. But your faith commitment requires you to believe what you believe. I prefer reality.

Using the Bible's own genealogical chronology, Noah's supposed flood took place at the same time that civilizations were going about their business with no world-wide flood in sight. It didn't happen. The biblical flood story is simply the biblical writer's take on the earlier ANE flood stories tailored to fit the ancient Hebrew theology. And no one should have any problem accepting that. Sadly however, the modern fundamentalist thinks he has to take the flood story as a historical fact. And that's an embarrassment to Christianity.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Well, if you're interested, every thread started by a poster is in the forum archive and can be pulled up and read.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Well, if you're interested, every thread started by a poster is in the forum archive and can be pulled up and read.
Thanks, but I am not really. I was just amused that he would think I would take the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity