Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,154,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What we do know by looking at the 4 gospels is that Jesus quoted the scriptures only on an heldful of occassions throughout his entire ministry. That was a huge problem for those who heavily relied on what was written in ink.
I think the huge problem was for those who considered themselves righteous and smug about their intellect and knowledge of the Law/Hebrew Scriptures/OT. They met a man who knew how to handle the Hebrew Scriptures and the Law better than they could. He outwitted them when they were trying to trap him with what was written in ink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,154,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Jesus IS the "word." The "logos" is the thought or intent of God (spoken or unspoken). Jesus is the intent of God in the flesh. The word of God is not the text of scripture.

The "graphe" is the document, writings, scripture, etc.

When the Bible says the "word of God" it isn't referring to itself. It's talking about the intent of God as revealed through Jesus.

When it says "scripture" or "writings" it's talking about the text of the Old Testament.
I wonder if some of the back and forth on some of these posts is due to misunderstandings of what is meant by someone who says God's Word or the word of God.

Yes Word is used as a title. Prime example is Jesus. It's a title but it does accurately describe his role. To paraphrase Jesus he said something to the effect that "I don't speak my words but I'm speaking the words that my Father told me." What Jesus says is coming from God. Jesus was the mouthpiece of God.

But personally I also use the phrase God's Word when referring to the Bible. For me I'm not using it as a title. I'm not personifying the Bible and not worshiping it but I do respect it because I view the Bible as a message from God.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Why would you think that Jesus is God the Father when verses such as John 1:1 make a distinction between the Word (the preincarnate Jesus) and the Father? Both of whom are called God.
So you are Jewish mike?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:40 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
The hearts of many during Jesus time had grown unreceptive. It was not unexpected. compare Isaiah 6:10, Jeremiah 5:21, Ezekiel 12:2

Jesus (aka god)? Read John 14:28 and John 20:17,18 What did he say about himself in relation to God?
God has delegated judging to Christ. "For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son...."-John 5:22. Christ was born and lived as a man. He's not ignorant of the challenges we each face and proved his compassion.
Right. So man can walk on water?

Or did man god not do that?

Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,454,543 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying!
1.Is the Bible relevant today?
2.Is it only the NT that is accepted?
3.Does the OT have a place? if so,
4. what would that be?
5.Also curious how people came to believe what they believe.
But I couldn't answer you really until you told me what you were referring to, exactly.
Which do you want an answer for: what you asked about God's communication
being limited*, post #86, pg 9, or the above, gee whiz?
I'm a simple person ...one clear question at a time, please.

*You asked, and I didn't know what you meant, where did I imply the below quote, see? I'd be happy to ans.----
Quote:
So God is limited in how he communicates with his children Miss Hepburn?

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-26-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM

421 posts, read 154,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Pls, think of me as an innocent, or from another planet asking... not someone with snark
when I ask you this, LOL.
I mean no offense, in other words... (ya gotta say that on forums where there is snark. Ha)

My question: How do you know that? How do people know this?
Why do you say that so emphatically?

(I'm not asking for proof like scientific atheists do, mind you.)
I'm just going by the definitions of the Greek words. I use an on line Bible that has all the Greek words after the English translation. It's a different Greek word In the Bible when it talks about the "word" of God than when it talks about "scripture."

When I am being "emphatic" it's generally because I am in a hurry. I wanted to make a comment, but had to leave quickly, so it came out blunt and to the point.

I would never think of you as being snarky.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 AM

421 posts, read 154,284 times
Quote:
I wonder if some of the back and forth on some of these posts is due to misunderstandings of what is meant by someone who says God's Word or the word of God.

Yes Word is used as a title. Prime example is Jesus. It's a title but it does accurately describe his role. To paraphrase Jesus he said something to the effect that "I don't speak my words but I'm speaking the words that my Father told me." What Jesus says is coming from God. Jesus was the mouthpiece of God.

But personally I also use the phrase God's Word when referring to the Bible. For me I'm not using it as a title. I'm not personifying the Bible and not worshiping it but I do respect it because I view the Bible as a message from God.
I agree with all of this, and I have called my Bible the "word of God" in the past, but I think it's important to differentiate, because the "word" of God should be in our hearts, as opposed to scripture, which is printed on a page.

It's possible to follow scripture and completely ignore the "word" of God. Actually, more than possible. I think Christians do it a lot.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM

33,355 posts, read 26,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So you are Jewish mike?
No.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 AM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Jesus IS the "word." The "logos" is the thought or intent of God (spoken or unspoken). Jesus is the intent of God in the flesh. The word of God is not the text of scripture.

The "graphe" is the document, writings, scripture, etc.

When the Bible says the "word of God" it isn't referring to itself. It's talking about the intent of God as revealed through Jesus.

When it says "scripture" or "writings" it's talking about the text of the Old Testament.
Amen!

Quote:

But personally, I also use the phrase God's Word when referring to the Bible. For me I'm not using it as a title. I'm not personifying the Bible and not worshiping it but I do respect it because I view the Bible as a message from God.
And the bold is why you err!

Old 07-26-2019, 05:55 PM

3,220 posts, read 930,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I swear to God, don't say that again, I already asked for your address, tell me what I have to do???????????

You say,'' Come to me.''

HERE I AM.

The Holy spirit comes to teach the law and the prophets, he comes to teach a person that he is a temple, the kings of east come to teach the comings and goings of the temple, the truth.

The Holy Spirit comes to teach about an abomination of desolation standing in the temple, and this abomination stands against everything that is called of GOD or that is worshipped of God in his own worship system.

The Holy spirit comes to teach great astounding secrets and mysteries concerning the law and the prophets which are a marriage contract full of promises.

You say,'' Come to me.''

I am here, what do you have?
He who seeks the glory of the One who sent me shall enter the kingdom of heaven and walk in the light of my heavenly Father.

Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity