Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM

591 posts, read 932,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I take it you do not believe in the existence of black holes either--although virtually every scientist out there does---but for which there is not one shred of observable evidence.
And with the word evidence you've defeated your own point.

Quote:
Instead they reached their conclusion from events around the process. Just as a historical Jesus, accepted by many agnostics on the agnostic thread (try looking at Grandstander and Arequipa posts--educated, well-read agnostics), may not be mentioned in the Roman chronicles but yet there is so much written evidence around the event, a reasonable, thoughtful person would agree---a real man named Jesus made some sort of impact on the world.
No, there isn't! There is no evidence from anyone around the time the 'events' took place. Not a shred.

Quote:
I guess you don't believe in the holocaust either--there are sure a lot of loonies out there denying it.
Yet, those loonies are just as bad as the religious.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,529,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post

No, there isn't! There is no evidence from anyone around the time the 'events' took place. Not a shred.

Yet, those loonies are just as bad as the religious.
I am still trying to figure out why the Bible is not considered a Historical document as it is the best represented of any ancient document with thousands of MS available and none deny that Jesus was real. The oldest MS dating back to within a few decades of his life. I think it is prejudice not scholarship at the root of the denial.

Testing the Bible, a collection of 27 books (NT) is supposed to be different than proving Caesars War Commentaries existed when no copy from his tome exists??? Fragments from other sources make it available, but it is reliable? (Not yes I have read both the NT and the Commentaries.)

Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I am still trying to figure out why the Bible is not considered a Historical document as it is the best represented of any ancient document with thousands of MS available and none deny that Jesus was real. The oldest MS dating back to within a few decades of his life. I think it is prejudice not scholarship at the root of the denial.
Because there is no evidence to support any of the stories told. There is no evidence to support the claim there is a God.

Do you accept the Qur'an to be a historical document? If you don't you contradict your own argument. If yes, God will not be happy you believe in Allah as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,767,338 times
Quote:
No, I mean that since there is no EVIDENCE of the existence of black holes, then to be consistent YOU must conclude that they do not exist---even though 98% of scientists say that everything POINTS to their existence--

Just like the historical evidence POINTS to the reality of a man named Jesus. Whether or not Jesus was divine is a much better subject for debate, because it falls into the "faith" category for Christians.

So you've just defeated your own argument.

By the way, there is no more of the kind of "evidence" you seek for the existence of Pontius Pilate or Josephus. You basically are a "fundy" atheist!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 01-15-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Well, they have evidence for one in our own galaxy.

HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

You're also stuck on a point that you believe there to be historical evidence for Jesus! There isn't any. That's what you need to understand. No historical evidence mentions or points to Jesus.

Yet, there is clear observable evidence, in fact, well documented evidence for the existence of Black Holes. If you're going to pick something from science, don't pick something we know is real.

'Everything points to their existence' - You mean evidence?

You have no argument

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,502,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I haven't watched the entire video yet, but it seems legit to me. Unfortunately, we can't go look for ourselves because of how unstable the Middle East is. However, they did set up a tourist building. The liberal media won't touch this one. See for yourself and I would love to hear what Christians think.

Noah

The video is towards the bottom in the comments section. It's two hours long. It's also an interesting read on what archeologists have found to be the ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey.
If something as historically significant as Noah's Ark had been found, it would be front page news worldwide. It would be the subject of countless papers in every peer-reviewed historical and archaeological journal in the world. Major conferences would be held about it worldwide, and the mainstream press would be all over it.

It would not simply be noted on a website by some guy named "Joe."

Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,767,338 times
Quote:
Well, they have evidence for one in our own galaxy.

HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

You're also stuck on a point that you believe there to be historical evidence for Jesus! There isn't any. That's what you need to understand. No historical evidence mentions or points to Jesus.

Yet, there is clear observable evidence, in fact, well documented evidence for the existence of Black Holes. If you're going to pick something from science, don't pick something we know is real.

'Everything points to their existence' - You mean evidence?

You have no argument
Hmmm, making a claim that an "unseen" object exists at the center of something light years away is "evidence." Then a Christian claiming that an unseen "spirit" dwells within Him is about the same kind of evidence. That black hole evidence is still conjecture.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If something as historically significant as Noah's Ark had been found, it would be front page news worldwide. It would be the subject of countless papers in every peer-reviewed historical and archaeological journal in the world. Major conferences would be held about it worldwide, and the mainstream press would be all over it.

Haha, spot on RPG!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, making a claim that an "unseen" object exists at the center of something light years away is "evidence." Then a Christian claiming that an unseen "spirit" dwells within Him is about the same kind of evidence. That black hole evidence is still conjecture.
No... Having observable evidence. It's been observed that black holes exist. It's been documented and theorised. There are many many peer reviewed journal articles on the issue.

A Christian claiming a spirit dwells within him cannot be observed! And they would be mental

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,260,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

I'm not so sure about that. Seems like the world is turning it's back on God. Creationism isn't even taught in schools anymore and fossils are accepted as evidence of evolution and NOT the flood. I think this would be buried somewhere to keep it out of the public eye as much as possible because it would ruin the narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.