Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,779 times

Advertisements

The law was not given until after Noah's days. I looked at could not find anything on laws or anything of that nature that were handed out before Noah. So anyone correct me with scripture if I am wrong. That being said, if those people had no law to follow then how was it just for god to say they were unrighteous and kill them all? Don't tell me..."God can do what he wants cause he's god!"....well that doesn't fly either. That would be like me punishing my children extremely harshly and unreasonably for doing things that I never set limits on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,576,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The law was not given until after Noah's days. I looked at could not find anything on laws or anything of that nature that were handed out before Noah. So anyone correct me with scripture if I am wrong. That being said, if those people had no law to follow then how was it just for god to say they were unrighteous and kill them all? Don't tell me..."God can do what he wants cause he's god!"....well that doesn't fly either. That would be like me punishing my children extremely harshly and unreasonably for doing things that I never set limits on.
You are under the false assumption that it was unreasonable. First the bible says, He wrote His laws in our hearts, it is called a conscience "means with knowledge" man knew what they were doing was wrong and when Noah warned them they suppressed their conscience and followed their own will. God gave them 100 years to repent. God is so righteous so perfect and that He cannot have sin is His presence therefore He must punish sin, God sees us all as unrighteous and we all deserve the same fate as the people in Noah's day including Noah.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-21-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
They had their conscious to follow. Other than that, God is going to resurrect every one of them and eventually save them due to Christ ransoming all of them. That is how God will ultimately be just.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,191,495 times
1) Being God, He could do whatever He wants

2) The act of punishing the world for sin provides the perfect backdrop for why Calvalry was necessary.

3) It also shows us that God is not bound by this life to deal with people in a small time frame when they are not flesh and blood forever. God is spirit, and so is man.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
1) Being God, He could do whatever He wants

2) The act of punishing the world for sin provides the perfect backdrop for why Calvalry was necessary.

3) It also shows us that God is not bound by this life to deal with people in a small time frame when they are not flesh and blood forever. God is spirit, and so is man.
No argument, just a question because it would be off topic. What verse is that? You can PM me if you like.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Okay so from what I am reading from Fundy and Eus, they were just supposed to KNOW what god wanted them to do. Oh yeah, that is perfectly reasonable. So why even bother teaching kids right from wrong...they should just KNOW already. Oh and Fundy, I think it is you who are under the false assupmtion that it was reasonable.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
Quote:
Okay so from what I am reading from Fundy and Eus, they were just supposed to KNOW what god wanted them to do. Oh yeah, that is perfectly reasonable. So why even bother teaching kids right from wrong...they should just KNOW already. Oh and Fundy, I think it is you who are under the false assupmtion that it was reasonable.
There was also a complete breakdown in human governance. In this Adam failed to convey to his offspring. But maybe he didn't convey it because he was not told to? Maybe God was showing humanity what happens without Him being involved in their lives?

Under the hybrid Christian/pagan view God can never be just as to the flood because under their view God not only drowns them all but has them in some sort of hell all these thousands of years BEFORE they are even judged for what they did. Then they are judged and put in hell again for eternity! Some view!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Babies don't know right from wrong? Is there a book that teaches kids how to behave bad? God gave them a conscience and sent them a prophet. Noah's words were hitting home for a hundred years but their will was stubborn.

Psalm 58:3
3 Even from birth the wicked go astray;
from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-21-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,661 times
What we misunderstand is that God was very vocal in day to day life before the flood. Adam had walked with God in the Garden and all knowledge of Good and Evil was bestowed upon man with the original sin. Of course as so often happens man wants to do his own will and not that of God. There were many men of God that were still alive before God commanded Noah to build the Ark that could have easily brought to mind the difference between good and evil. Noah took about 120 years to build the Ark, or so we believe and I am sure he hired people to help in many ways and could have spread the reason for the Ark and mankind laughed at him.

God is justified because He is always reaching out to mankind in many ways and is always blessing or cursing mankind. Mankind has just chosen not to listen and seek after what they want rather than what God wants.

We know for a fact murder is wrong by the example of Cain. We know for a fact man is created for woman and woman for man and they are to become one for the rest of their lives. We know for a fact the knowledge of good and evil was bestowed upon mankind by original sin. We know for a fact God reaches out to the world in many ways and gives manking no excuse for doing evil.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Robin, does it say anywhere in the bible that god would at some point cease to be vocal? If you are taking things from the OT and saying we know them to be fact soley because they are written in the bible, then why is it not a fact that we should stone bad kids to death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity