Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
Well, that goes to my point. If your CO in the military had told you not to feel any desire for something you really did desire, could you have obeyed him?
Yes; if it was a command
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Desires will come to us... we're not commanded not to have desires (impossible) but rather if we recognize that they are against God's will, that we would submit, realizing He knows best. If we don't submit we're coveting.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Quote:
So the commandment is about suppressing one's desires?
I guess you could interpret it that way. It is to keep one's desires within boundries. I find that if I see something I like and allow myself to picture myself with it, imagine how I can afford to buy it, fantasize about how cool it would be to show it off....soon I can work myself up into "having to have it". If I instead think about it in terms of how will I pay for it, what maintenance does it need, where will I put it, what if someone steals it....I can talk myself out of wanting it anymore.

Our minds are marvelous things when we used them. We can control many of our base desires if we choose too. I am pretty sure God knew that when he created us and expects us to know this as well.

All things in moderation. Some desire is good and is a motivator to us. Excessive desire blinds us to consequences and motivates us to our detriment.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM

264 posts, read 694,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Yes; if it was a command
And how would you have accomplished this? If you could do it, you'd be the first person I've ever encountered who could.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yeah, I think the original word in the Greek infers a stronger meaning than simple "desire" if I'm not mistaken.
One is not to desire what God has given to another.

The original word would probably been in Hebrew. Y'Honatan would be able to tell us exactly what it means. There is a different word (covet vs. desire) between Ex 20:17 and Dt 6:21 which is explicated by Maimonides; in short, taking physical action would be a sin.

Last edited by DanielChang; 10-23-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,691 times
Quote:
The Decalogue ends with these words:

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." (Exodus 20:17, KJV)
Is there a difference between wanting a house-car-boat "just like" my neighbor's and wanting my neighbor's house-car-boat? I think so. We are not to covet and plot to take things away from our neighbor. I don't think it's the sin of coveting to like nice things. It is the sin of materialism, but that is a difference argument altogether.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Jinxor makes an excellent distinction, and a very important one I believe. While it addresses those objects owned by the neighbor, and it now seems clear that we are not to covet those items specifically, I think it still relates to that desire in an excessive manner.

Since this was before the age of a central monetary system and extremely few retail shopping centers existed other than a very early version of Walmart, I am told , most possessions were obtained by barter. It only makes sense that you must desire something a neighbor owns in order for a barter system to work. You must resist excessive desire in order to keep the barter system equitable. If you pursue something with too much vigor, your bartering will surely suffer and your neighbor will get much more from you than they would otherwise. Likewise, if you neighbor refused to exchange for this object and your desire was too extreme you may steal from or kill your neighbor to obtain it forcefully. Either way, bad for the barter system.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
I don't want things that I do not need. Wanting is about luxury and needing is about survival.
I already have all the things that I need so why would I covet anything my neighbour has?
Who cares that my neighbour has an SUV?
I don't even have a driver's liscence, nor do I want it.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
We were dirt poor when I was growing up, yet I don't ever remember wanting anything except knowing there would be enough food for the next meal so my mom could eat..Now that I could have almost anything I want, I don't desire anything. I have a nice comfortable home and my own car, and my own computer.I don't covet anything that my rich neighbors have I don't need "stuff" to try to make myself happy or liked.. My most precious posessions cannot be purchased except through faith and love..I am always pleased to share those with anyone who "covets" my peace and happiness..

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM

58 posts, read 137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
One is not to desire what God has given to another.

The original word would probably been in Hebrew. Y'Honatan would be able to tell us exactly what it means. There is a different word (covet vs. desire) between Ex 20:17 and Dt 6:21 which is explicated by Maimonides; in short, taking physical action would be a sin.
Exodus 20:17Moderator cut: English Only Please

The word used here is Tachmod, which Maimonides explains that it means to actively do or say something to aquire the desired object.

There is another commandment in the Torah that says, "lo titaveh" or Do not desire.

For a interesting explaination on the two, you can view this. It's only two pages long and if you have questions, I'll try my best to explain them.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-26-2007 at 05:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity