Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times

Advertisements

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing
Ex 20:4-6 (KJV)
Hab. 2:18.(cross reference) Exodus 20:5- It also forbids us to make images of God in our fancies, as if he were a man as we are. Our religious worship must be governed by the power of faith, not by the power of imagination. They must not make such images or pictures as the heathen worshipped, lest they also should be tempted to worship them. Those who would be kept from sin must keep themselves from the occasions of it. Matthew Henry Com".
Wow have we been doing this?
This one always have made me tremble; For some reason I used to try and justify this and out of my ignorance or lack of knowledge of God's word; I didn't know that this was to be taken literal like all the other commands, People would want to argue saying that "I have them, but as long as I'm not bowing down and worshipping them it's okay". But I'm not ashamed to say I just noticed today for the first time that these are two separate commandments; and the fourth says we're not supposed to even make them.
So this leads to my question; As a believer; how to you handle this; since obedience is better than sacrifice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing
Ex 20:4-6 (KJV)
Hab. 2:18.(cross reference) Exodus 20:5- It also forbids us to make images of God in our fancies, as if he were a man as we are. Our religious worship must be governed by the power of faith, not by the power of imagination. They must not make such images or pictures as the heathen worshipped, lest they also should be tempted to worship them. Those who would be kept from sin must keep themselves from the occasions of it. Matthew Henry Com".
Wow have we been doing this?
This one always have made me tremble; For some reason I used to try and justify this and out of my ignorance or lack of knowledge of God's word; I didn't know that this was to be taken literal like all the other commands, People would want to argue saying that "I have them, but as long as I'm not bowing down and worshipping them it's okay". But I'm not ashamed to say I just noticed today for the first time that these are two separate commandments; and the fourth says we're not supposed to even make them.
So this leads to my question; As a believer; how to you handle this; since obedience is better than sacrifice?
If they are two seperate commandments, then exactly what does the 'them' in verse 5 mean?

I'd also like to add, legalism isn't pretty. (Romans 10:4, I think)

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If they are two seperate commandments, then exactly what does the 'them' in verse 5 mean?
Quote:

I'd also like to add, legalism isn't pretty. (Romans 10:4, I think)

The "them" mean the graven images.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
The law couldn't save me.

Thank God for Jesus.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
In the Israelite's day, they were tempted to bow down to physical idols. People's basic natures haven't changed. My "graven image" might be my car, my job, etc. And, like you said, yhwh,
Quote:
People would want to argue saying that "I have them, but as long as I'm not bowing down and worshipping them it's okay".
as soon as we're justifying something, what are we worshipping?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM

17 `Do not suppose that I came to throw down the law or the prophets--I did not come to throw down, but to fulfil; 18 for, verily I say to you, till that the heaven and the earth may pass away, one iota or one tittle may not pass away from the law, till that all may come to pass. 19 `Whoever therefore may loose one of these commands--the least--and may teach men so, least he shall be called in the reign of the heavens, but whoever may do and may teach them, he shall be called great in the reign of the heavens. 20 `For I say to you, that if your righteousness may not abound above that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye may not enter to the reign of the heavens.
Matt 5:17-20 (YLT)

Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
This is a good question that does not have a good answer without succumbing to legalisms.

My own feeling is that creation of idols, even if not intended for personal worship is forbidden.

We are not to create these graven images; or to worhsip them; because.

These phrases are linked for a reason. They are not terminated sentences, each standing on it's own merit, but rely on the previous to give it meaning.

I think creating "graven images" by itself is not bad, unless the intent of the image is to facilitate some worship by someone. If the image being created is a commonly associated idol then it's creation is definitely sinful. If it is a "new" image being created with the intent that it can be used in place of a common idol image, then it too is sinful.

I can make a distinction in my mind about images created for artistic pleasure and recreational intent as long as the ultimate value of the object falls below worship, even of God. God was clear that he did not want any images to substitute for him in our worship.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The law couldn't save me.

Thank God for Jesus.
But "Oh the grace of God"

Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
This is a good question that does not have a good answer without succumbing to legalisms.

My own feeling is that creation of idols, even if not intended for personal worship is forbidden.

We are not to create these graven images; or to worhsip them; because.

These phrases are linked for a reason. They are not terminated sentences, each standing on it's own merit, but rely on the previous to give it meaning.

I think creating "graven images" by itself is not bad, unless the intent of the image is to facilitate some worship by someone. If the image being created is a commonly associated idol then it's creation is definitely sinful. If it is a "new" image being created with the intent that it can be used in place of a common idol image, then it too is sinful.

I can make a distinction in my mind about images created for artistic pleasure and recreational intent as long as the ultimate value of the object falls below worship, even of God. God was clear that he did not want any images to substitute for him in our worship.
What about images of angels that a lot of people have in their homes and sanctuaries? Does this mean that I'm supposed get rid of my granddaughter's
teddy bears? and little figurines? according to verse 4 Exodus;
I'm learning here thanks for posting

Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
In the Israelite's day, they were tempted to bow down to physical idols. People's basic natures haven't changed. My "graven image" might be my car, my job, etc. And, like you said, yhwh, as soon as we're justifying something, what are we worshipping?
I'm trying to discuss with you and Alpha and johnrex and reply at the same time
please be patient with me;
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.
Matthew 5:20, says He came to fulfill the law and the prophets;
not to destroy.. I'm researching while I'm posting; help me out anyway you can
I mean chime in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity