Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM

428 posts, read 330,656 times

Advertisements

Ever notice that Jesus went to a Baptist to be Baptized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Ever notice that Jesus went to a Baptist to be Baptized.
Of course He did. John held the authority required to baptize. He probably could have asked His next door neighbor, but He realized that baptism is not just having someone dunk you in water.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,163 times
I think Jesus went to him so it will be written into the Scared Scriptures that the Baptist needs Jesus's baptism.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Of course He did. John held the authority required to baptize. He probably could have asked His next door neighbor, but He realized that baptism is not just having someone dunk you in water.
So you think only Baptist have the authority to baptize?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I think Jesus went to him so it will be written into the Scared Scriptures that the Baptist needs Jesus's baptism.
But why did Jesus need the Baptist Baptism?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So you think only Baptist have the authority to baptize?
Yeah, right. The "Baptist Church" did not exist at the time John baptized Jesus. You know full well that's not what I meant.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right. The "Baptist Church" did not exist at the time John baptized Jesus. You know full well that's not what I meant.
No one said anything about a church organization. I said "Baptist", as in the faith that John preached and under which he baptized Jesus.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
My guess is that Jesus wanted a Full Imersion baptism as opposed to being sprinkled.

So a Methodist or Lutheran would not do.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No one said anything about a church organization. I said "Baptist", as in the faith that John preached and under which he baptized Jesus.
I believe the term "the baptist" merely meant "the person who is performing baptisms." I don't believe it was a reference to John's "faith" (meaning his religion). Jesus did say that He intended to "build [His] Church." It wouldn't make much sense for Him to be baptized into one faith and then establish another one. I believe that John was performing baptisms by the method (i.e. immersion) and holding the authority Jesus knew was necessary. That's why He sought him out specifically instead of just asking someone to baptize Him. He probably could have even found someone who would be willing to immerse Him. But He went to John and asked Him to baptize Him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-25-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I believe the term "the baptist" merely meant "the person who is performing baptisms." I don't believe it was a reference to John's "faith" (meaning his religion).
Well it was important enough that God wanted it used in scripture. I also note that scripture does not refer to anyone else who was baptizing by the term Baptist. We know that the disciples were baptizing as they traveled with Jesus.

It's an interesting point to ponder. I just always thought it referred to those who followed the Gospel and Baptized people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity