Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,538,371 times

Advertisements

And ... ever notice that Triune God appeared at the same time?
  • Father spoke
  • Son was in the water
  • Holy Spirit decended

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,174,897 times
It is odd that Jesus(as) being apparently a Knowledgeable Jew would have felt the need for what was a non-Jewish ritual.

The Sabean, (Sabians) Baptizers in English, John the Baptist is credited with being the First, are a separate religion from Judaism although it seems many Jews of the time did seek to be Baptized by them.

The following Links give some information about the Sabeans//Mandaens.

John the Baptist

SABEANS - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Mandaeism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John the Baptist and his Sabaean Mandean Followers Today

Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,735,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Ever notice that Jesus went to a Baptist to be Baptized.
RESPONSE:

Yes, Jesus was originally a follower of John the Baptist. But John the Baptist was never a follower of Jesus.

And is it true that in Hebrew, John, later named John the Baptist is called יוחנן המטביל (Yokhanan hamatbil), which means, "John the dunker"?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,662,512 times
Matthew 3:11

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Matthew 3:13-17

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

John states the need to be baptized by the Lord Jesus. Why did John baptize the Lord with water? to fulfill all righteousness.

The Father bore witness of his Son.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM

33,381 posts, read 26,667,694 times
Quote:
But why did Jesus need the Baptist Baptism?
John the Baptist was the one who had been prophesied to prepare the way for the Lord. It was both fitting and necessary for Jesus to be baptized by John in accordance with the Father's plan for His incarnation.

John 3:3 For this is the one referred to by Isaiah the prophet when he said, "THE VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS, 'MAKE READY THE WAY OF THE LORD, MAKE HIS PATHS STRAIGHT!'"

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,535,725 times
Quote:
Well it was important enough that God wanted it used in scripture. I also note that scripture does not refer to anyone else who was baptizing by the term Baptist.
Scripture "per say" in it's original language didn't refer to anyone at all as Baptist, it referred to John as "The Immerser" or "dipper". English tradition has a lot of problems in our versions of the Bible, like "only begotten son", ... and "John the Baptist" is one of them.

Jesus went to him for a few reasons though. One was to fulfill all righteous, and to confirm to John who he was, and for an example to others. I'm sure there are more reasons but if he wanted to be dunked he would go to the person who immersed, which was John who was setting the path straight.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,551,768 times
We are babtised into His Divinity [the Holy Ghost and Fire] and He was babtised also with the Holy Ghost and Fire but with our sufferings to fullfil all righteousness. And there other reasons. As concerning suffering, immediately after babtism, He went off into the wilderness to be tempted of the Devil even when weak and hungry but overcame by the Living Word of God and thus set the example as to how to overcome. He joined with our sufferings in the flesh to be the God close at hand.

How do I know? The Spirit is the guide to all Truth and what we do not understand today, we might tomorrow.

Last edited by garya123; 10-25-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM

889 posts, read 828,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is odd that Jesus(as) being apparently a Knowledgeable Jew would have felt the need for what was a non-Jewish ritual.

The Sabean, (Sabians) Baptizers in English, John the Baptist is credited with being the First, are a separate religion from Judaism although it seems many Jews of the time did seek to be Baptized by them.

The following Links give some information about the Sabeans//Mandaens.

John the Baptist

SABEANS - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Mandaeism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John the Baptist and his Sabaean Mandean Followers Today
What's odd is that the prophet of a billion people married a 12 year old and murdered people.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Yes, Jesus was originally a follower of John the Baptist. But John the Baptist was never a follower of Jesus.
I'm afraid you have that exactly backwards. John said he was not even fit to tie Jesus's sandals.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 PM

259 posts, read 367,216 times
God called John to baptize people and thereby was a baptist. The actual religion
was founded over 1577 years after christ (around 1610) John the Baptist was
an Essene an ancient sect believed to include Jesus ,Mary Joseph and their ex-
tended family. Jesus once baptized became a high priest within this Hebrew sect.
The essenes were essentially the first christians and were also known as The Way.
It's worth a few weeks of bible study and extremely significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity