Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Scripture "per say" in it's original language didn't refer to anyone at all as Baptist, it referred to John as "The Immerser" or "dipper". English tradition has a lot of problems in our versions of the Bible, like "only begotten son", ... and "John the Baptist" is one of them.

Then perhaps we could call John the 'little dipper' and Jesus is the 'Big Dipper'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jews used baptism as a ritual purification, the term "baptism" just wasn't used for it.
Have you ever considered that Baptism represents being immersed into death and that it is through DEATH that we will be fully purged or purified? By putting off this mortal shell we will be swallowed up by LIFE to never be touched by death again. We are only appointed once to die. Just some thoughts that occurred to me about the symbolic meaning of baptism and the reality to which it points.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My guess is that Jesus wanted a Full Imersion baptism as opposed to being sprinkled.

So a Methodist or Lutheran would not do.
Hehehe... we're all going to be fully immersed. No ifs, ands, or buts. And that is truly exciting. We're getting closer every second to the end of DEATH! Whew, glory!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm afraid you have that exactly backwards. John said he was not even fit to tie Jesus's sandals.
Amen to that.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM

428 posts, read 330,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who baptized John the Baptist?
Scripture does not tell us that.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
So your saying no one can receive the Holy Spirit until they have "repented and been baptized"? Am I understanding you correctly?
Scriptures teach that the gift of the Holy Spirit is the saving faith
Scriptures teach without faith it is impossible to please God
Scriptures teach that God choses those who will have faith ... humans chose to reject
Scriptures teach that those who reject the Holy Spirit are eternally damned
James 2:5
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Also would you say that when we receive the Holy Spirit that is evidence we are saved or Have repented and completed all that is necessary for salvation at that point?
The child-like answer that God revealed is "yes".
John 3:5
Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Then perhaps we could call John the 'little dipper' and Jesus is the 'Big Dipper'
Astrological.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM

428 posts, read 330,967 times
To my question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob
So your saying no one can receive the Holy Spirit until they have "repented and been baptized"? Am I understanding you correctly?
You answered the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Scriptures teach that the gift of the Holy Spirit is the saving faith
Scriptures teach without faith it is impossible to please God
Scriptures teach that God choses those who will have faith ... humans chose to reject
Scriptures teach that those who reject the Holy Spirit are eternally damned
James 2:5
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

I don't think you answered the question directly. I can make an assumption based on your answer but I would rather you answer the question directly for yourself. But unless you say otherwise we can agree your answer to my original question is "Yes". Please correct me if I have misunderstood you on this.

And to my question of:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob
Also would you say that when we receive the Holy Spirit that is evidence we are saved or Have repented and completed all that is necessary for salvation at that point?
You gave the direct answer of "Yes". Thank you for that one.

So you are claiming that only those already saved (completed all requirements for salvation) can receive the Holy Spirit? And the receiving of the Holy Spirit is proof of one's salvation!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:

In reality there is no such thing as a Baptist, a Mormon, an Episcopalian, a Muslim, a Hindi, a Jew, or even an American. Those are all labels and labels are tags we attach to things as we attempt to sort and identify others or ourselves but in the end these labels mean nothing in terms of the reality of Spirit.
Quote:
Have you ever considered that Baptism represents being immersed into death and that it is through DEATH that we will be fully purged or purified? By putting off this mortal shell we will be swallowed up by LIFE to never be touched by death again. We are only appointed once to die. Just some thoughts that occurred to me about the symbolic meaning of baptism and the reality to which it points.
Preach it sister!You are very insightful indeed.

Romans 6:4 (King James Version)

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
In reality there is no such thing as a Baptist, a Mormon, an Episcopalian, a Muslim, a Hindi, a Jew...
Try telling that to the folks over on the Elections Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity