Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,388,805 times

Advertisements

First, some background:

For the past five years my family and I have belonged to a small group Bible study. We meet once a week at the host's home for a potluck supper. Afterwards, the kids play outside or watch a DVD while the adults have a Bible study or a Christian book discussion.

We always spend time sharing praise reports and prayer requests. Last week, one member of the group asked for prayer b/c she has invited a local man (a long-time friend) to the Bible study. He is currently awaiting trail for raping his teenage daughter.

I know more about the case than the rest of the group b/c of my job. I read the affidavit (sworn statement from the police) and it described how he plotted to attack her while his wife was away on a woman's retreat. The attack was very prolonged and very sadistic.

The daughter is a good kid, definitely not the type to make something like this up. The man's son witnessed several minutes of the attack b/c the girl's room door was open a crack while it was taking place and he was curious about why his sister was crying. Their stories, told separately to the detective, match up perfectly.

The case is expected to go to trial later this month. The detective who wrote up the report said that there were signs the father had molested the girl previously and that she hadn't reported it.

I really don't want to have this man at our Bible study, which I've always regarded as a safe, intimate place. I don't want to have to worry about him leering at my pre-teen daughter or the other pretty young teens.

I understand that the man needs the Lord (he was a Christian at one time and turned away from God), but I don't see why he can't just go to Sunday services or attend a Christian's men's group.

Should I say something to the Bible study host? They didn't say anything when the member announced she had invited him. In fact, everyone just got really quiet. Or, should I just stop going for a while since the man will likely end up in jail after the trial?

I know that Jesus hung out with sinners, but does this mean we have to invite them into our homes? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,523,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
First, some background:

For the past five years my family and I have belonged to a small group Bible study. We meet once a week at the host's home for a potluck supper. Afterwards, the kids play outside or watch a DVD while the adults have a Bible study or a Christian book discussion.

We always spend time sharing praise reports and prayer requests. Last week, one member of the group asked for prayer b/c she has invited a local man (a long-time friend) to the Bible study. He is currently awaiting trail for raping his teenage daughter.

I know more about the case than the rest of the group b/c of my job. I read the affidavit (sworn statement from the police) and it described how he plotted to attack her while his wife was away on a woman's retreat. The attack was very prolonged and very sadistic.

The daughter is a good kid, definitely not the type to make something like this up. The man's son witnessed several minutes of the attack b/c the girl's room door was open a crack while it was taking place and he was curious about why his sister was crying. Their stories, told separately to the detective, match up perfectly.

The case is expected to go to trial later this month. The detective who wrote up the report said that there were signs the father had molested the girl previously and that she hadn't reported it.

I really don't want to have this man at our Bible study, which I've always regarded as a safe, intimate place. I don't want to have to worry about him leering at my pre-teen daughter or the other pretty young teens.

I understand that the man needs the Lord (he was a Christian at one time and turned away from God), but I don't see why he can't just go to Sunday services or attend a Christian's men's group.

Should I say something to the Bible study host? They didn't say anything when the member announced she had invited him. In fact, everyone just got really quiet. Or, should I just stop going for a while since the man will likely end up in jail after the trial?

I know that Jesus hung out with sinners, but does this mean we have to invite them into our homes? What would you do?
We are to trust God ... not throw caution to the wind.

Love also protects and it is your responsibility to protect your daughter, not throw temptation in front of a person.

Do the right thing....protect your daughter.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 AM

624 posts, read 1,073,777 times
As a skeptic, i'd say that your question proves that Christians can't rely on the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

By inviting an accused rapist into your home, you are opening doors to someone harming your family.

I think you are much safer inviting that rapist to your church Bible study but not to your home group.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,961,405 times
Beware of the mentality that suggests that because you are a Christian means you have to open yourself up to harm to live up to some religious ideological nonsense that people will select a few verses of scripture out to make their point with. If I remember the name correctly, read the book called boundaries, if people followed the advise in that book, a lot of churches would lose half their members over night and for good cause and they'd be happier for it.

Tell them what you just said here, if they insist on allowing him into a private setting, don't go and don't let your children go either.

First and foremost is that the group member should have addressed the group with their intentions before going ahead and doing so. Inviting a friend is one thing I suppose, but inviting someone with that baggage attached to them is another. That is a lack of respect for others and probably has the assumption that what they think should happen is what everyone else should think too.

Leave the group if it comes down to it.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,083,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
First, some background:

I have a close loved one who WAS falsely accused so I understand the innocent until proven guilty thing, at the same time, if you honestly believe the girl and her brother (as you know them and their personalities) then, you need to ensure everyone's safety.
Perhaps it should be pointed out to your friend that it would be in the man's best interest not to put himself in a posistion that may make his motives look questionable. My loved one still attended services at his church during the investigation etc. but he sat up front nand stayed far away from anything "kid-related" still does actually.
My suggestion is for your friend to contact the deacons or persons responisble for evangilism, and maybe they can set up some sort of meeting for him

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,059,300 times
Tell the host to ask the man to do penitence forgiveness prayer meeting for him and get him to agree...... If they reject you then bow out of the prayer group for a few months and be blessed with persecution against you...... See if the man is thrown into Jail it is best to get Jesus on his side then for him to go to jail with no Jesus making a plan for his life ....... If you still do not know what to do then plead the blood of Jesus judgment on the issue and let it go and ask Jesus to lead you ...........

Old 09-13-2011, 05:00 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,486,641 times
Safety first.

I would inform the group. Leaving protects you and your children, but there are other children and young adults in the group who need to be protected as well. I would inform the host for the safety of the entire group.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,554,560 times
Moderator cut: caution

Half of this thread has been deleted due to off topic/orphaned or sarcastic posts..The op asked a serious question relating to Christian behavior that deserves a serious answer. Please keep that in mind..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM

560 posts, read 1,294,711 times
“Bring not every man into your house, for many are the snares of the crafty one” - Sir 11:29 - USCCB - NAB - Sirach 11

Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,797,647 times
Quote:
I would question the common sense of this woman. If she feels led to somehow help this man or minister to him, she needs to do so on her own, instead of exposing innocent children to someone who is dangerous.

I would not want to be a part of any group this woman participated in, frankly. I would leave the group ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity