Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM

31 posts, read 74,500 times

Advertisements

I have recently been interested in learning more about Christianity. I was rasied Catholic, but the last few weeks, I have attended non-demoninations services. I found these services to be much more interesting to me and I really enjoyed it. My fiance, who was raised Christian but no longer practicing, offered to create a Bible study for me, since I have never read it. The topic came up when I mentioned I was interested in attending a Bible Study class at the church I attended this morning.

Is it a good idea to let him "teach" me if he is no longer practicing? I don't want him to feel shunned or feel like I'm not including him, but I am concerned that if I learn about the Bible through his eyes, I might not get the most open view....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:33 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiec1079 View Post
I have recently been interested in learning more about Christianity. I was rasied Catholic, but the last few weeks, I have attended non-demoninations services. I found these services to be much more interesting to me and I really enjoyed it. My fiance, who was raised Christian but no longer practicing, offered to create a Bible study for me, since I have never read it. The topic came up when I mentioned I was interested in attending a Bible Study class at the church I attended this morning.

Is it a good idea to let him "teach" me if he is no longer practicing? I don't want him to feel shunned or feel like I'm not including him, but I am concerned that if I learn about the Bible through his eyes, I might not get the most open view....
To be blunt, no it is not. If he is no longer 'practicing', then obviously his relationship with God is not important to him. And you are right. You would not get the most open view. You would not get an accurate view. You don't want to be led astray. Stay with your non-demoninational services provided they are accurate in what they are teaching.

Also, if you are interested, here are some non-denominational local churches who make their classes available online. These are doctrinally oriented pastors who teach the word of God accurately. They have studied the original languages, and teach in an isagogical, categorical and exegetical manner.

Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX I suggest studying the fundamental Basics series first.

Series - Joe Griffin Media Ministries

Home - Joe Griffin Media Ministries (http://www.joegriffin.org/default.aspx - broken link) Here is the home page to the above site.

Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

All Recordings | Austin Bible Church

I hope you will at least check the above classes out, and that they are of help to you.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 74,500 times
This is great! Thank you!!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
This is great! Thank you!!
You are very welcome!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:

Hi angiec. I hope you study about universal salvation. It is central to the message that Jesus preached. Also, if you need someone to personally assist you in your studies, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,487 times
Quote:
I My fiance, who was raised Christian but no longer practicing,
What does "no longer practicing" mean? It's not as if Christians have all that many rituals that they "practice", at least outside of church. Has he denounced his Christianity, or is it just that he no longer goes to church?

Not going to church, while not desirable, does not automatically mean he is no longer Christian and unable to help you with your Bible study. By all means, include him, while you also seek other points of view.

I'm puzzled too how you were raised Catholic yet never read the Bible. Didn't you go to catechism class or something? Were you never encouraged to read the Bible yourself? I'm not Catholic.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:

The best place to start with your learning about Christianity is by reading the four Gospels.

As God said through the Gospel of John:

John 20:31
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Here is what God has revealed of the topics the Bible speaks about. Short yet direct, these are the truths from which one will know how God communicated his will for those seeking the truth about him. Written from a view point of what we believe, they all end with "this is what scriptures teaches".

For any other questions, let me know.

I. GOD AND HIS REVELATION

II. CREATION, MAN, AND SIN

III. CHRIST AND REDEMPTION

IV. JUSTIFICATION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH

V. GOOD WORKS AND PRAYER

VI. THE MEANS OF GRACE

VII. CHURCH AND MINISTRY

VIII. CHURCH AND STATE

IX. JESUS' RETURN AND THE JUDGEMENT

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Hi angiec. I hope you study about universal salvation. It is central to the message that Jesus preached. Also, if you need someone to personally assist you in your studies, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Same here.

Tentmaker is a great place, full of in-depth bible studies that are focused on God's love. Google it.

Good luck with your journey and I hope the unfathomable depths of our Creator's love unfolds for you in a beautiful way.

peace,
sparrow

Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To be blunt, no it is not. If he is no longer 'practicing', then obviously his relationship with God is not important to him. And you are right. You would not get the most open view. You would not get an accurate view. You don't want to be led astray. Stay with your non-demoninational services provided they are accurate in what they are teaching.

Also, if you are interested, here are some non-denominational local churches who make their classes available online. These are doctrinally oriented pastors who teach the word of God accurately. They have studied the original languages, and teach in an isagogical, categorical and exegetical manner.

Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX I suggest studying the fundamental Basics series first.

Series - Joe Griffin Media Ministries

Home - Joe Griffin Media Ministries (http://www.joegriffin.org/default.aspx - broken link) Here is the home page to the above site.

Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

All Recordings | Austin Bible Church

I hope you will at least check the above classes out, and that they are of help to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The best place to start with your learning about Christianity is by reading the four Gospels.

As God said through the Gospel of John:

John 20:31
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Here is what God has revealed of the topics the Bible speaks about. Short yet direct, these are the truths from which one will know how God communicated his will for those seeking the truth about him. Written from a view point of what we believe, they all end with "this is what scriptures teaches".

For any other questions, let me know.

I. GOD AND HIS REVELATION

II. CREATION, MAN, AND SIN

III. CHRIST AND REDEMPTION

IV. JUSTIFICATION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH

V. GOOD WORKS AND PRAYER

VI. THE MEANS OF GRACE

VII. CHURCH AND MINISTRY

VIII. CHURCH AND STATE

IX. JESUS' RETURN AND THE JUDGEMENT

Greetings to you, angiec1079,
The two above post are very good recommendations and the individuals are trust worthy to follow their suggestions.
It is definitely a leading of the Spirit of God into where to go in learning all about Him.... getting to know Him and His will for your life ! It is the most wonderful thing to do in ones life, having a relationship with God.
It will be so rewarding and a beginning of a beautiful new journey in life with our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ !!

Blessings to you, and may God richly bless you with eternal life and His blessed hope in His precious Son, Jesus Christ in all your seeking and studying !!

P.S. Please, please take warning..... DO NOT venture into the suggested teaching of Universal Reconciliation and Tentmaker.
It is a counterfeit gospel, a counterfeit Jesus, it and they definitely do not teach the truth of the Holy Scriptures of God !!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 AM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
angie...

I would say explore ALL views and perspectives.
The more you explore, the more knowledge you will have, the more perspectives you will gain.
This is important, it allows you to more easily discern.

Pray for guidance. Pay attention to your heart.
The Holy Spirit works in the heart.
Compassion, Mercy, pay attention to those things.

Do not fear to search out a matter.

Two commands:

Love God with all of your heart, mind and soul.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

Be patient, be diligent, most importantly do not allow others to instill FEAR in you. Fear is not of God. Perfect love casts out ALL Fear.

Think about what the first command is for...
Isn't it to push us to get to KNOW our Creator? A push to get us to know God? How can we love if we do not know much about the object of our love? God wants us to know Him. He wants us to PUSH FORWARD and come to know Him.

peace,
sparrow

A good bible study to start with:

** 1 Corinthians 13 **
with this thought in mind:
1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love, does not know God, because God is love

Last edited by .sparrow.; 09-05-2011 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity