Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Simply taking one verse out of context. Who is Tim talking to?
This is the kind of illogical thinking that permeates the mainstream interpretations and dogma. If I say the "Sky is blue" to an audience of believers does that mean it is only blue for believers???? The desire to fit the square peg of dogma into the round hole of God's truth leads to all manner of absurd rationales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is the kind of illogical thinking that permeates the mainstream interpretations and dogma. If I say the "Sky is blue" to an audience of believers does that mean it is only blue for believers???? The desire to fit the square peg of dogma into the round hole of God's truth leads to all manner of absurd rationales.
That makes no sense....

Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That makes no sense....
Well . . . give it some time . . . it will come to you if you think about it hard enough.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well . . . give it some time . . . it will come to you if you think about it hard enough.
Timothy was speaking to a certain audience for a certain reason...It was addressed to that audience...In particular...Therefore your statement makes no sense whatsoever...You are just a woman that hates men and therefore i see your comments "doctrines of MEN" to be biased...I also believe if most of the Christian doctrines were written by women you would not have a problem then...This is what i see from your behavior...And your comments...

Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Timothy was speaking to a certain audience for a certain reason...It was addressed to that audience...In particular...Therefore your statement makes no sense whatsoever...You are just a woman that hates men and therefore i see your comments "doctrines of MEN" to be biased...I also believe if most of the Christian doctrines were written by women you would not have a problem then...This is what i see from your behavior...And your comments...
Another fan complimenting me on being a woman. I appreciate the compliment . . . but I am a man. Don't give up your day job. You are not very good at this psychic stuff. You have so far guessed nothing right about me.

You are saying then that if Timothy had said to this audience ALL will see a blue sky tomorrow . . . that would mean that he meant that only his audience would see a blue sky tomorrow???

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,026,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Simply taking one verse out of context. Who is Tim talking to?
You call him Tim? Have you met him personally?

1 Timothy 1

5Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

6From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

7Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm

8But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Another fan complimenting me on being a woman. I appreciate the compliment . . . but I am a man. Don't give up your day job. You are not very good at this psychic stuff. You have so far guessed nothing right about me.

You are saying then that if Timothy had said to this audience ALL will see a blue sky tomorrow . . . that would mean that he meant that only his audience would see a blue sky tomorrow???
It means his target audience would see a blue sky tomorrow...whether others outside his target audience saw it would not concern him...As for whether or not you are in fact a woman, i am only going by what others have said regarding you without contestation...

Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It means his target audience would see a blue sky tomorrow...whether others outside his target audience saw it would not concern him..
This is absurd rationalization and obstinance. It would mean no such thing. The universality of a truth is not determined by or dependent on the audience to which it is addressed.
Quote:
As for whether or not you are in fact a woman, i am only going by what others have said regarding you without contestation...
So far only you and Asheville Native have made that assertion that I am aware of . . . and I have corrected both of you.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 PM

672 posts, read 665,829 times
Rom 9:9

9For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.

Gal 4:28

28Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Thats what it means to be a child of promise , a believer. Just as Isaac was.

God promised Abraham a believing seed. Gen 17:2-5

1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

Each child of promise, God will reveal to them the Covenant as He did Isaac.

Look Gen 26:1-4

1And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.

2And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:

3Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;

4And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

Thats the Gospel being revealed, Peter Called it the Covenant Acts 3:25

25Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

Paul calls the same Promise the Gospel Gal 3:8

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

So the Covenant and the Gospel are the same. Now all the Children of Promise, who are born sinners by nature as others are, and so was Isaac, shall in their lifetime have the Covenant or Gospel revealed to them because they are Children of the promise and when that happens they believe..

They are Children of the Covenant. What Covenant ? This one Gen 17:2-5,7

2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

7And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

So believers are a result of God establishing His Covenant with Abraham's seed, or Children after Him as He said.

So therefore Paul writes Gal 3:7

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Thats why they are of Faith, because of God's Promise to multiply Abraham's Seed.

They are a result of God's word of Promise ! BTW, That is who the True Israel of scripture is as well, The Children of Promise ! Rom 9:8

Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Thats why they are of Faith, because of God's Promise to multiply Abraham's Seed.
They are a result of God's word of Promise ! BTW, That is who the True Israel of scripture is as well, The Children of Promise ! Rom 9:8
It has nothing to do with physical "seed," SBSG. Your Satan's seed doctrine is heresy, bigotry and evil, personified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity