Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM

672 posts, read 666,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Indeed, and since God will bring Everyone to be true believers, then we have that assurance not only for those who believe now, but those who will believe in the furture.
The Jesus I serve stated in regards to some who did not believe in His Present, That they shall not see Life ! Thats future Jn 3:36

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Thats a future promise, now thats from the mouth of the Jesus I serve !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM

537 posts, read 458,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a discussion board . . . not a propaganda site for posting bigoted spam.
This accusation is false and almost as bigoted as SBSG's rants. The failure to properly divide the scriptures is the source of this misrepresentation (lie). God-inspired is NOT God-dictated. The ONLY Word of God is Jesus Christ the Living Word of God and His words . . . not the interpretations of inspirations by superstitious and ignorant OT prophets using carnal misunderstandings and savage beliefs about the nature of God.Idolizing the Bible is idolatry, period. It contains revelations about God, Jesus and eternal life . . . but it must be properly divided using the "mind of Christ" as the ONLY Word of God unambiguously revealing the true nature of our loving God.
SBSG was providing a biblical response regarding the topic of this thread. It is a biblically-based topic. How is it possible that referencing the Bible to speak to this question could be called "bigoted" or even "satanic"? With all due respect, I feel I have to say that your assessment here is a bit unfair.

Many believe the Bible to be the Word of God. When I see the agreement and cohesiveness throughout the Bible I am compelled to believe that this has to be the Word of God.

You and others are free to feel as you will about the Bible. The whole Bible is about Christ in some way. It either looks ahead to what He would ultimately fulfill, it chronicles His ministry (as much as God feels we need to know), it moves on to the early Church where the Gospel is being preached, and finally finishes up with how it will all end....with Christ and His people victorious, and Satan and his kingdom destroyed. So to limit our love for the Bible to simply the words Jesus spoke.....well, ...let us remember that the whole Bible is the Word of Christ. Jesus, Himself, confirmed that the Scriptures testified of Him.

To love the Word of God as the only source of truth about how a sinner can be made right with God is anything but idolatry. We could highlight a number of references that make this point (perhaps another time).

We need to praise God a million times over for His Word....His revelation to mankind. In His Word He unfolds the mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is man's only hope of being made right with God.

Could there be any greater demonstration of love than what God has done for us in Christ that we might live forever in the kingdom of God....knowing that we deserve the exact opposite? That's why it is called "grace". We cannot earn it. It is entirely the gift of God..through the work of God... in Jesus Christ

God promises us that Christ will cast no one out who comes to Him. I don't wish to make this post too long. But the Gospel does involve repentance and faith in the only One through whom we can be saved.

All we are required to do as ministers of this wonderful Gospel is to proclaim Christ to the world....that God has made a way of salvation..."that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

Let us heed the words of Hebrews:

Heb 3:7-11

7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
"Today, if you will hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
In the day of trial in the wilderness,
9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,
And saw My works forty years.
10 Therefore I was angry with that generation,
And said, 'They always go astray in their heart,
And they have not known My ways.'
11 So I swore in My wrath,
'They shall not enter My rest.' "

Heb 4:9-11

9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience

Praise God that today is still the day of salvation. And anyone who comes to Christ..."whoever shall call upon the name of the LORD"... will be saved.

"To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."
(Acts 10:43)

Amen.

Last edited by JAA2310; 08-15-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
<snip>To love the Word of God as the only source of truth about how a sinner can be made right with God is anything but idolatry. We could highlight a number of references that make this point (perhaps another time).

We need to praise God a million times over for His Word....His revelation to mankind. In His Word He unfolds the mystery of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is man's only hope of being made right with God.

<snip>

"To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."
(Acts 10:43)

Amen.
So why does Peter say to and about Cornelius just moments earlier, before telling him about believing on the name of Jesus:

So Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."

Apparently, being the "children of the promise" has to do with one's attitudes and actions, not supposed "correct" beliefs about Jesus.

Imo, being "children of the promise" has to do with the meaning of Jesus' name: the promise of his name is that "God saves". Those who trust that God is not a vengeful, wrathful God holding their sin against them, but IS LOVE, are children of that promise ... they've been freed from a misunderstanding of God's nature and have been "conceived" in and to LOVE.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So why does Peter say to and about Cornelius just moments earlier, before telling him about believing on the name of Jesus:

So Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."

Apparently, being the "children of the promise" has to do with one's attitudes and actions, not supposed "correct" beliefs about Jesus.

Imo, being "children of the promise" has to do with the meaning of Jesus' name: the promise of his name is that "God saves". Those who trust that God is not a vengeful, wrathful God holding their sin against them, but IS LOVE, are children of that promise ... they've been freed from a misunderstanding of God's nature and have been "conceived" in and to LOVE.
Excellent!! The Holy Spirit is strong in you, Pleroo. (Still can't rep you)

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
The Jesus I serve stated in regards to some who did not believe in His Present, That they shall not see Life ! Thats future Jn 3:36

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Thats a future promise, now thats from the mouth of the Jesus I serve !

No, that is from an english translation of the bible and an intepretation from your mouth.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 AM

537 posts, read 458,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Nice passage. (v.35)..."But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him".

It reminds me a bit of what we read in Ephesians:

Eph 1:3-6

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

The Greek in the latter part of verse 6 has its root in the word "charis", which has everything to do with grace. So those who "fear Him" and "work righteousness" are those who have become recipietnts of God's grace, and enabled in the Spirit to serve Him with our "attitudes and actions". It is indeed all God's work, by His marvelous grace. I believe Ephesians 2:8-10 ties in nicely with this, as well.

The children of promise are those who, indeed, become the recipients of God's saving grace. And regarding your last point, those who are in Christ will not have their sin held against them.

Unfortunately, the "conceived" part that you refer to reminds me of what we read in Psalm 51:5: "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me".

But God's love and mercy and grace in Christ is "greater than all our sin" (as the hymn recalls )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity