Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM

672 posts, read 667,296 times

Advertisements

Why the Spirit of Promise ?

Eph 1:13

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Remember when Peter was preaching he made reference to Christ after having died, rose, and ascended on High that He received from the Father The Promise of the Spirit ? Acts 2:33

Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

This is because, as Christ was that Seed of Abraham by which all the world was to be blessed Gal 3:16

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gen 22:18

And in thy seed[Christ] shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Gen 28:14

And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee[Jacob] and in thy seed[Christ] shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

Acts 3:25

Ye are the [spiritual] children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

So He [ The Holy Ghost] comes to the Children of Promise, the Seed of Abraham.

Christ, the risen Seed of Abraham, now that He has accomplished the seed's Salvation by the Cross, He pours out the Spirit upon all the Seed. This is according to Prophesy !

Isa 44:3 Hear God's Promise !

For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:

Isa 59:21

As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

And this Promise belonged to Gentiles who were also of this Seed so we read in Gal 3:14

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ[The Seed]; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Through Faith here is not the act of believing, but means Christ or the Doctrine of Faith, that is they receive the Spirit according to the Doctrine of Faith, what has been written, as per say the promises of OT scripture as Isa 44:3 and 59:21 Those are God's Promises, so its a tenet of Faith.

See, the word Faith is also that body of Truth as per Jude 1:3

3Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Jude is not saying contend for the act of believing, but He means by Faith, that body of Truth.

So all the Children of Promise are given by Christ, the Spirit of Promise according to or on this account, the scripture, the body of Truth, the Faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,570,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
If we are True Believers, Thats the result of being a child of Promise, to become a believer. When God told Abraham He would multiply His Seed, He was speaking to Abraham as a Man of Faith, hence, the seed that God would multiply would be Children of Faith as well.

The Children of promise will be people of Faith, because Their Father Abraham was a comfirmed Man of Faith when God promised Him to Multiply his seed. Gen 17:1-5

1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect [Walk by Faith].

2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

6And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

7And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

8And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

So God had promised Abraham a believing seed by Grace ! Just like He promised him a Son in Isaac.

Now, these Children of promise or seed, of all nations, would receive as an everlasting possession, canaan which typified Heaven.

All the seed of promise would be given Faith Rom 4:16

Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise[eternal inheritance] might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law[Jews], but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham[Gentiles]; who is the father of us all[Jew and Gentile Believers],

So all Believers are God's promised Children to Abraham as Isaac was, and they are all Heirs of promise, but again, this is confined to One Specific seed, not all of humanity without exception
It's SEED not seeds... The SEED is Christ, at least according to scripture.
Gal 3:16
The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,171,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

Repentance is just that,,,,to repent. Not rinse and repeat.
This is talking about shrinking back from your Faith:
Heb 10:1 For the Law had a shadow of the coming good things, not the image itself of those things. Appearing year by year with the same sacrifices, which they offer continually, they never are able to perfect the ones drawing near.
Heb 10:2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered? Because those serving did not still have conscience of sins, having once been cleansed.
Heb 10:3 But in these there is a remembrance of sins year by year,
Heb 10:4 for it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Heb 10:5 For this reason, coming into the world, He says, "Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but You prepared a body for Me.
Heb 10:6 You did not delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices concerning sins."
Heb 10:7 "Then I said, Lo, I come, in the heading of the Book it was written concerning Me, to do Your will, O God." LXX-Psa. 39:7 -9; MT-Psa. 40:6 -8
Heb 10:8 Above, saying, "You did not desire nor were pleased with sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and sacrifices concerning sins," (which are offered according to the Law),
Heb 10:9 then He said, "Lo, I come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first in order that He may set up the second;
Heb 10:10 by which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:11 And indeed every priest stands day by day ministering, and often offering the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
Heb 10:12 But He, offering but one sacrifice for sins, "sat down" in perpetuity "at the right hand" of God,
Heb 10:13 from then on expecting "until His enemies are placed as a footstool" of His feet. Psa. 110:1
Heb 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected in perpetuity the ones being sanctified.
Heb 10:15 And the Holy Spirit witnesses to us also. For after having said before,
Heb 10:16 "This is the covenant which I will covenant to them after those days, says the Lord: Giving My Laws on their hearts, and I will write them on their minds;"
Heb 10:17 also He adds, "I will not at all still remember their sins" and their lawlessnesses. MT-Jer. 31:33, 34
Heb 10:18 But where remission of these is, there is no longer offering concerning sins.
Heb 10:19 Therefore, brothers, having confidence for the entering of the Holy of Holies by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 which He consecrated for us, a new and living way through the veil; that is, His flesh;
Heb 10:21 and having a Great Priest over the house of God,
Heb 10:22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, our hearts having been sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our body having been washed in pure water;
Heb 10:23 let us hold fast the confession of the hope unyielding, for He who has promised is faithful.
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another, to incitement of love and of good works,
Heb 10:25 not forsaking the assembling together of ourselves, as is the custom of some, but exhorting, and by so much more as you see the Day drawing near.
Heb 10:26 For if we are willfully sinning after receiving the full knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice concerning sins,
Heb 10:27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment and "zealous fire being about to consume the adversaries." Isa. 26:11
Heb 10:28 If anyone did not regard the Law of Moses, that one dies without pities on "the word of two or three witnesses," Deut. 17:6
Heb 10:29 how much worse punishment do you think will be thought worthy to receive, the one trampling the Son of God, and having counted common the blood of the covenant in which he was sanctified, and having insulted the Spirit of Grace?
Heb 10:30 For we know Him who has said, "Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people." Deut. 32:35, 36
Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Heb 10:32 But call to mind the former days in which having been enlightened you endured much conflict of sufferings;
Heb 10:33 indeed being exposed both to reproaches and to afflictions; and having become partners of those so living.
Heb 10:34 For also you suffered together in my bonds; and you accepted the seizure of your possessions with joy, knowing yourselves to have a better and abiding possession in Heaven.
Heb 10:35 Then do not throw away your confidence, which has great reward.
Heb 10:36 For you have need of patience, that having done the will of God you may obtain the promise.
Heb 10:37 For, yet a very little while, and the One coming will come, "and will not delay." Hab.2:3
Heb 10:38 "But the just shall live by faith;" "and if he draws back," "My soul is not pleased in him." Hab. 2:4; Zeph. 1:6; Mal. 1:10
Heb 10:39 But we are not of those withdrawing to destruction, but of faith, to the preservation of the soul.

This is speaking to those who might be in danger of abbandoning the Faith because of persecuion...If one reads the full context of what Paul is talking about...Look at the conclusion of this chapter...

Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
This is true Paul. We stumble as we are weak. We fall, when we give into that weakness. But through Him, we are strong.

Are you telling me that we MUST sin willingly continually throughout our lives? It sure seems that way.

Ignorant sin is one thing. Willfully breaking the Holy Commandments, is another.
Now if god says that He will write His Law on their hearts and minds, then how can anyone sin in ignorance?....

Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Sure, when you act out in a evil manner before you think it out. ALL of us have done this.

I never said I didn't sin. So, no need to call anyone anything. But remember 1st John, you were partially quoting from 1:8-10, is a letter written to believers in the form of a sermon letter.

As it goes on, it also says this:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Also:

The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does NOT keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

Hmm, and:

Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

Sounds to me like not everyone is a child of God now, doesn't it folks?
1Jn 3:22 And whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments, and we do the things pleasing before Him.
1Jn 3:23 And this is His commandment, that we should believe the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as He gave command to us.
1Jn 3:24 And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,169,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
1Jn 3:22 And whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments, and we do the things pleasing before Him.
1Jn 3:23 And this is His commandment, that we should believe the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as He gave command to us.
1Jn 3:24 And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.
Well Richard,

Believe what you choose. I personally keep His Commandments. ALL of them, out of love FOR Him and for my fellow brothers.

If you break any of them, He says you DON'T love Him.

Hebrews 10, I understand. I see you highlighted the parts to rove your point, yet not the others. Try reading them. This isn't talking about just faith. It is talking about how you live this faith. You cannot sin and claim to have this great faith. You will prove to be a liar and will hear 'depart from me, worker of iniquity'.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Well Richard,

Believe what you choose. I personally keep His Commandments. ALL of them, out of love FOR Him and for my fellow brothers.

If you break any of them, He says you DON'T love Him.

Hebrews 10, I understand. I see you highlighted the parts to rove your point, yet not the others. Try reading them. This isn't talking about just faith. It is talking about how you live this faith. You cannot sin and claim to have this great faith. You will prove to be a liar and will hear 'depart from me, worker of iniquity'.
I am sorry that you have no understanding in dividing the Word correctly...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,169,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I am sorry that you have no understanding in dividing the Word correctly...
Don't be sorry. I am not sorry for loving Him and keeping His commandments.

He is the same yesterday and today and tomorrow.

So the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her children, who keep the commandments of God AND hold to the testimony of Jesus. Rev

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. ECC

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

So, are they too hard to keep? Struggling with sin? Then give yourself OVER to Jesus, and let Him help you. He will! He promised!

Those who say they struggle with sin? I say they LOVE the darkness and their sin to wholly give themselves to Christ Jesus, as King.

Those who keep the commandments are not proclaiming they are perfect by keeping them. They proclaim their love and the evidence to this love is keeping them. They are not perfect, for there is only 1 who was perfect. But do we remain imperfect?

Well, ask yourself this question.

How can one say they are born again, and still act like the carnal man who was supposed to die, even daily?

If you live for God and His Son, does breaking the Commandments honor them or your brothers,,,out of love?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,974,966 times
Christ belongs to the whole world, not just some. Anybody that says different is a heretic.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Moderator cut: delete
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Do you know what WILL HAVE means?
Simply taking one verse out of context. Who is Tim talking to?

1 Timothy 1

1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

2Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

3As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

4Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

5Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

6From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

7Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

8But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

11According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

12And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

13Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

14And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

15This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

16Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

17Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

18This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;

19Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

20Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

1 Timothy 2

1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

7Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not, a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

This is an epistle to believers. All men that are true believers shall be saved if "they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety". Reading more than a verse will guide you to the correct context of the message. There's a condition. If...

Last edited by Mikelee81; 07-03-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity