Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 AM

741 posts, read 444,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Romans 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Thoughts?
This can be explained in Joel 2:31, 32

"The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood. Before the coming of the great and awe-inspiring day of Jehovah.
And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved;
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, just as Jehovah has said,
The survivors whom Jehovah calls.””

Though I have seen many here down-play the importance of calling 'on the name'. The Bible doesn't down-play it all. It says it over and over. Those whom 'Jehovah calls' to will answer back with His name. Even John 6:44 Jesus said, "No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him."

Also note that in Acts 2:21 Peter was speaking to established Christians of Pentecost 33 CE and were doing the 'will of the Father'. Paul, likewise was speaking to the Roman Christian congregations 'doing the will of the Father' in the book of Romans. However, Jesus was speaking to a mixed crowd, known as the Sermon on the Mount, this crowd had many beliefs they had not even learned what 'the will of the Father' was yet and just hearing about it.

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 08-01-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post

"The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood. Before the coming of the great and awe-inspiring day of Jehovah.
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, just as Jehovah has said,

Though I have seen many here down-play the importance of calling 'on the name'. The Bible doesn't down-play it all. It says it over and over. Those whom 'Jehovah calls' to will answer back with His name. Even John 6:44 Jesus said, "No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him."

Also note that in Acts 2:21 Peter was speaking to established Christians of Pentecost 33 CE and were doing the 'will of the Father'. Paul, likewise was speaking to the Roman Christian congregations 'doing the will of the Father' in the book of Romans. However, Jesus was speaking to a mixed crowd, known as the Sermon on the Mount, this crowd had many beliefs they had not even learned what 'the will of the Father' was yet and just hearing about it.
"Why do you ask my name which is a mystery?"

My Father's name is not Jehovah.

"No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and whoever the son will reveal Him."

" Father, I have revealed your name to those you have given me out of the world. They were yours and you gave them to me and they have kept your word."

Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
"Why do you ask my name which is a mystery?"
Very sneaky. You quote Judges 13:15-18. "Ma·noʹah now said to Jehovah’s angel: “Please stay, and let us prepare a young goat for you.”But Jehovah’s angel said to Ma·noʹah: “If I stay, I will not eat your food; but if you wish to present a burnt offering to Jehovah (Here the angel uses God's name), you may offer it up.” Ma·noʹah did not know that he was Jehovah’s angel. Then Ma·noʹah said to Jehovah’s angel: “What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?” However, Jehovah’s angel said to him: “Why are you asking about my name, seeing that it is a wonderful one?”

Manoah didn't know he was speaking with an angel not God Himself. Once he understood he was speaking with an angel Manoah asked the angel's name but the angel refused to give his name. Why? Because the angel didn't want any glory for himself. The angel knew all glory goes to Jehovah.
Quote:
My Father's name is not Jehovah.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say this.
Quote:
"No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and whoever the son will reveal Him."

" Father, I have revealed your name to those you have given me out of the world. They were yours and you gave them to me and they have kept your word."
Yes Jesus did reveal God's name.

I have made your name known . . . and will make it known.” -John 17:26

Or do you think Jesus was lying?

How familiar do you think Jesus was with the following scripture? Ps 83:18 "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth." (KJV)

Old 08-01-2016, 03:41 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
The problem is that those in Matthew 7 did think they were doing God's will. The Nazis thought they were doing God's will. Anybody can delude themselves into thinking they are doing God's will and even to use the Bible to back their delusions up.

Yes satan owns 99% of all religions and transforms into an angel of light( 2Cor 11:12-15)

Yes, people can ignore the context and the intended meaning to dodge other scriptures and use them to as an excuse to rewrite the text as they like.

Yes every school of religion on earth teaches--dogma-- then those teachers who have congregations get paid to teach--dogma.

Of course we can assume there is sin because EVERYONE has sin (Romans 3:23-24). Otherwise there would be no need for salvation, because sin is what we need salvation from. Yes their sin is what will destroy them as it will destroy us all if God does not save us. The real question is why Jesus said He did not know them. The problem Jesus is speaking about in Matt 7:21-13 as with Luke 18:9-14 is an attitude of entitlement. That is attitude is the enemy of grace and will cause it dry up and fall away from under you. There is no room for self-righteousness in a Christian.

Practicing sin is why they will lose.

Jehovah Witness delusion that some name means they can own and control God. Why should God have any name at all? There is only one God and so when Moses asked about this, God answered, "I am who I am." And thus we humans turned it into the name Yahweh. But to make this into an reason for entitlement makes a mockery of everything Jesus taught.

The Hebrews say--I am that I am is error--I will be what I will be is more correct. it is NOT a name.
Actually later--God told Moses his personal name-YHWH.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM

595 posts, read 331,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The Hebrews say--I am that I am is error--I will be what I will be is more correct. it is NOT a name.
Actually later--God told Moses his personal name-YHWH.
אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה ’eh·yeh am, have been, or will be

אֲשֶׁ֣ר ’ă·šer which, who, where, that

אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה ’eh·yeh am, have been, or will be

Like many words the exact meaning depends on the context. When God is identifying himself the use of future or past tense does not apply and the correct meaning of אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה is "I am." And since God was speaking of himself the correct meaning of אֲשֶׁ֣ר in this context is "who."

God saying "I am who I am" is the meaning of this text. He is the beginning of everything and to assign him a name as if he were one of many is ridiculous. Thus with this God is making a statement which is a consistent theme in His communications. There is, always has been, and always will be only one God.

This is a will invention of the Jehovah witness to make a claim of ownership of God and it is pathetic! It is not only pathetic but reeks of precisely the kind of entitlement in Matthew 7:21-23 for which Jesus say, "I never knew you."

Old 08-01-2016, 07:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
I am who I am, and what I will always be.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,696 times
Quote:
Very sneaky. You quote Judges 13:15-18. "Ma·noʹah now said to Jehovah’s angel: “Please stay, and let us prepare a young goat for you.”But Jehovah’s angel said to Ma·noʹah: “If I stay, I will not eat your food; but if you wish to present a burnt offering to Jehovah (Here the angel uses God's name), you may offer it up.” Ma·noʹah did not know that he was Jehovah’s angel. Then Ma·noʹah said to Jehovah’s angel: “What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?” However, Jehovah’s angel said to him: “Why are you asking about my name, seeing that it is a wonderful one?”

Manoah didn't know he was speaking with an angel not God Himself. Once he understood he was speaking with an angel Manoah asked the angel's name but the angel refused to give his name. Why? Because the angel didn't want any glory for himself. The angel knew all glory goes to Jehovah.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say this.

Yes Jesus did reveal God's name.

Or do you think Jesus was lying?

How familiar do you think Jesus was with the following scripture? Ps 83:18 "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth." (KJV)
Jehovah is a name made up by man out of a number of letters.

The son of man does reveal the Father's name to those who do His will.

Whoever belongs to God hears every word God speaks. The reason you do not hear is you do not belong to God.

Whoever is of the truth hears my voice.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Do you think Jesus was lying?

Quote:
Jehovah is a name made up by man out of a number of letters.

The son of man does reveal the Father's name to those who do His will.

Whoever belongs to God hears every word God speaks. The reason you do not hear is you do not belong to God.

Whoever is of the truth hears my voice.
You didn't answer my question. I see accusations but no answers. Did Jesus lie? Did he NOT make his Father's name known? Is there a name? Why are we commanded to call upon it? The name of God is used over 6000 times in the Bible. Many English Bibles use the name Jehovah. If it was not favored by God then why are more Bibles putting that name in the Bible? Would God allow over 6000 mistakes in His book? Why isn't it being removed? Can I get answers to these please?

As far as your 'do not belong' comment, was Paul also lying at 2 Timothy 2:19? Which says, "The Lord knows those who belong to him," and "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord must turn away from evil." (ISV)

Why does it say 'everyone who calls on the name'? Also to be on thread theme, note those that do must turn away from evil. So it's not just calling on the name of God.

So far you have been saying the exact opposite of what the Bible says. I have shown you Bible truth, do you hear God from the Bible? Or will you ignore Ps 83:18 and 2 Timothy 2:19? To say that Jehovah is a 'made up name' and can't be trusted one might as well say the Bible is a made up book and it too can't be trusted. Is that what you believe?

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 08-02-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:

Like many words the exact meaning depends on the context. When God is identifying himself the use of future or past tense does not apply and the correct meaning of אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה is "I am." And since God was speaking of himself the correct meaning of אֲשֶׁ֣ר in this context is "who."

God saying "I am who I am" is the meaning of this text. He is the beginning of everything and to assign him a name as if he were one of many is ridiculous. Thus with this God is making a statement which is a consistent theme in His communications. There is, always has been, and always will be only one God.

This is a will invention of the Jehovah witness to make a claim of ownership of God and it is pathetic! It is not only pathetic but reeks of precisely the kind of entitlement in Matthew 7:21-23 for which Jesus say, "I never knew you."

The Hebrews say--I will be what I will be is more correct--so who do you think knows the Hebrew language better? Trinities or Hebrews?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:

You speak Hebrew Mitch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity