Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Was that supposed to be a poem?

Soft chuckle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
You're absolutely wrong.

Where We Are

Just because it exists in the uptown community area doesn't mean much, really.

It's just like Ravenswood Manor being in the Albany Park community area. Obviously, it stands very separate from the rest.

And actually, parts of Ravenswood are in the Uptown community area, but definitely belong to the Ravenswood community area.

Actually, there is no such thing as the "Ravenswood community area"... most of Ravenswood is in the Lincoln Square community area, with a few portions spilling over into Uptown on the east and Albany Park on the west.

As for Andersonville, I define it by what I see in the area as far as streetscaping, banners, and such. Clark Street for several blocks south of Foster Avenue (but not quite all the way to Lawrence Avenue) is labeled as "Andersonville" by the lightpole banners and sidewalk carvings that are displayed there.

So I'd say that most of Andersonville is in Edgewater, but a piece of it is in Uptown. (Now, the real estate folks have been hyping the area south of Foster as "SoFo", but that's a different matter entirely.)

Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM

98 posts, read 111,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
So I'd say that most of Andersonville is in Edgewater, but a piece of it is in Uptown. (Now, the real estate folks have been hyping the area south of Foster as "SoFo", but that's a different matter entirely.)
I am going to start calling the area around Monticello and Foster "MoFo" and with good reason.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM

400 posts, read 957,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
This is confusing me now.

Either you agree with the Chamber's boundaries or you don't. It seems like you are playing both sides.
Chamber of Commerce. Yes Andersonville is a business district.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Actually, there is no such thing as the "Ravenswood community area"... most of Ravenswood is in the Lincoln Square community area, with a few portions spilling over into Uptown on the east and Albany Park on the west.

As for Andersonville, I define it by what I see in the area as far as streetscaping, banners, and such. Clark Street for several blocks south of Foster Avenue (but not quite all the way to Lawrence Avenue) is labeled as "Andersonville" by the lightpole banners and sidewalk carvings that are displayed there.

Any Name that rifs off of SoHo is super lame. I think thats been established. SoFo is a bar that is South of Foster. How lame would that be if SoHo had a bar named Soho? Very Very lame.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Andrew61 gets it. Obviously the Andersonville community and chamber of commerce have decided to suck up that part of the "uptown community area" and call it their own. The way I see it, that effectively becomes part of the neighborhood. One thing we all agree on around here is that 'community areas' are merely for census data and a scholarly way to bound neighborhoods.

So, what's more important? Clearly, it seems that the actual neighborhood is, which is continually changing (and very visibly) versus the 'community area'. The Ravenswood/Magnolia/Foster/ Winnemac quadrant has a hell of lot more affinity to Andersonville versus the rest of Uptown, which is mostly a hell hole.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Andrew61 gets it. Obviously the Andersonville community and chamber of commerce have decided to suck up that part of the "uptown community area" and call it their own. The way I see it, that effectively becomes part of the neighborhood. One thing we all agree on around here is that 'community areas' are merely for census data and a scholarly way to bound neighborhoods.

So, what's more important? Clearly, it seems that the actual neighborhood is, which is continually changing (and very visibly) versus the 'community area'. The Ravenswood/Magnolia/Foster/ Winnemac quadrant has a hell of lot more affinity to Andersonville versus the rest of Uptown, which is mostly a hell hole.
Whatever you want to call a neigborhood be it community area or whatever, nobody says blank neigborhood name and then community area that I know of. Except for these two guys I heard talking the other day, I didnt hear the whole conversation though.

The other person runs into Mr Automaton at the Starbucks
"Yes I live in the Uptown Community area, which quadrant of the city do you live Mr Automaton?"

Automaton responds "I live in Andersonville."

The other person talks "hmmm, is that in Edgewater?"

Automaton responds "No that part is actually in Uptown."

The other person talks more "Thats very odd, oh yeah its the chamber of commerce, a ploy to revive the neighborhood just like they did with wrigleyville back in the 80s."

Automaton responds "Whatever I just say whats popular"

The other person speaks, "Im not sure why I live in Uptown, its a hellhole."

Automaton responds "Well I guess you should live in Andersonville it has
absorbed part of Uptown and that part isnt a hellhole."

The other person speaks "Um Okay......"

Undefined areas like wrigleyville, andersonville, any kind of ville
is just lame. Its a chamber of commerce/real estate driven phenom.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Terror Town is a great name though

Slang Chicago Neighborhood Names (Terror Town, The Ville) - District 299: Chicago Public Schools Blog

Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Whatever you want to call a neigborhood be it community area or whatever, nobody says blank neigborhood name and then community area that I know of. Except for these two guys I heard talking the other day, I didnt hear the whole conversation though.

The other person runs into Mr Automaton at the Starbucks
"Yes I live in the Uptown Community area, which quadrant of the city do you live Mr Automaton?"

Automaton responds "I live in Andersonville."

The other person talks "hmmm, is that in Edgewater?"

Automaton responds "No that part is actually in Uptown."

The other person talks more "Thats very odd, oh yeah its the chamber of commerce, a ploy to revive the neighborhood just like they did with wrigleyville back in the 80s."

Automaton responds "Whatever I just say whats popular"

The other person speaks, "Im not sure why I live in Uptown, its a hellhole."

Automaton responds "Well I guess you should live in Andersonville it has
absorbed part of Uptown and that part isnt a hellhole."

The other person speaks "Um Okay......"

Undefined areas like wrigleyville, andersonville, any kind of ville
is just lame. Its a chamber of commerce/real estate driven phenom.

You and your rhetoric are absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
You and your rhetoric are absolutely ridiculous.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago